Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I did it again
Posted By: rmtagg, 07-28-2008, 01:29 PM

Ok, another shot from the baby shower this weekend. So nothing formal just catch as catch can type pics. I havent shot many people so I am trying to learn and get better at it.

Feedback and suggestions helpful I was also having a problem with my flash. I had everything set on green since I have hardly used it and all my pics turned out really dark. AF-540FGZ flash was used. Thoughts, suggestions?? Posting the original photo below the edited pic.

Last edited by rmtagg; 07-28-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Views: 1,291
07-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rice candid capture.
Being a little girl, must have been hard to keep her still for a split second, so you had to settle with the motion blur in her left foot. A glance at the camera would have been icing on the cake. She contrasts well with the background, though.

Looks like you used front-on flash with a diffuser. You probably didn't have time to experiment, but maybe the 540 flash set wirelessly and off camera might have produced different effects with more texture. But the way it is I'm sure the parents will be really happy!

Well done Rosemary.
07-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a very nice photo Rosemary, as for the flash I wish that I had an answer for you as it is I have very much the same issues with my 360. I use it mostly in manual so that I have controll over it, in anything else it seems to under expose anywhere from 1 to 2 f-stops.

Take care,
07-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Rice candid capture.
Being a little girl, must have been hard to keep her still for a split second, so you had to settle with the motion blur in her left foot. A glance at the camera would have been icing on the cake. She contrasts well with the background, though.

Looks like you used front-on flash with a diffuser. You probably didn't have time to experiment, but maybe the 540 flash set wirelessly and off camera might have produced different effects with more texture. But the way it is I'm sure the parents will be really happy!

Well done Rosemary.
thank you. I was shooting in the background so to speak so everything I took was on the fly. I will say she was sitting on a couch between to people so I blacked out everything and then had to build the thigh on the right, which I think you can tell when looking at it. But it was good experience. Now to get me a flash bracket!

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
That is a very nice photo Rosemary, as for the flash I wish that I had an answer for you as it is I have very much the same issues with my 360. I use it mostly in manual so that I have controll over it, in anything else it seems to under expose anywhere from 1 to 2 f-stops.

Take care,
I am going to have to play im manual. I havent used my flash before so I was very nervous. I did use a diffuserthe flash but I dont think that should have caused such darkenss. Am thinking I should post the original of this pic here

Last edited by rmtagg; 07-28-2008 at 04:44 PM.
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rosemary. First very nice portrait and I really like the candid moment you captured. It's formal in one sense and spontaneous in another. Well done.

Now the flash. I use exposure compensation a fair amount when in P-TTL but shoot manually quite a bit with all my flash units. I picked up a replacement flash meter this year and rely on that quite a bit. Set up the session. Have the lights on at full power, shoot a test shot for the meter and then set the camera. Issue gone. P-TTL does work fairly well but there can be underexposure with certain subjects and situations. manual is the consistent way to shoot.

The classes I've taken prove that out as well. Not one Pro used auto settings for anything with studio work. It didn't matter what the brand was.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-28-2008 at 02:33 PM.
07-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Rosemary. First very nice portrait and I really like the candid moment you captured. It's formal in one sense and spontanious in another. Well done.

Now the flash. I use exposure compensation a fair amount when in P-TTL but shoot manually quite a bit with all my flash units. I picked up a replacement flash meter this year and rely on that quite a bit. Set up the session. have the lights on at full power, shot a test shot for the meter and then set the camera. Issue gone. P-TTL does work fairly well but there can be underexposure with certain subjects and situations. manual is the consistant way to shoot.

The classes I've taken prove that out as well. Not one Pro used auto settings for anything with studio work. It didn't matter what the brand was.
Peter I appreciate this info. I must admit I was a bit scared since I had not used it before, lol How crazy is that. But this came up last minute so, I jumped in with both feet. Boy am I starting to learn PS after this shoot. Good thing is I am getting some good pictures for her and she is very happy.
07-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well done Rosemary

you did an excellent job in photoshop as well.

Neil

07-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Well done Rosemary

you did an excellent job in photoshop as well.

Neil
Thank you Neil, there sure is so much to learn
07-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
Damn Brit

Love it Rosemary, if she had looked at the camera and sat still, if wouldn't have had the same feeling even though technically it might have been better.
Shame there's a bit of blur on her arm from the PP.
Gary
07-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Love it Rosemary, if she had looked at the camera and sat still, if wouldn't have had the same feeling even though technically it might have been better.
Shame there's a bit of blur on her arm from the PP.
Gary
Yeah, I know. Iam not that good with PS yet and I had to rebuild part of her are and her thigh from where the other person was sitting next to her. And I agree, it might have been tech better but I love the look on her face the way it is.