Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Shooting NBA with a K-1? Kinda...
Lens: Pentax 300mm f4 DA ED SDM Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: San Antonio, Texas ISO: 2500 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: PeakAction, 10-29-2016, 10:00 PM

I picked up a DA* 300mm f4 this week for the express purpose of using it on my K-1 to cover the bench during hockey games and also for covering the far bench/end of the court during NBA games. Tonight I was able to try it out for the first time while shooting the Spurs-Pelicans game, and I have to say the 300/K-1 combo did better than I was expecting. As long as the action was moving laterally and not right at me, it wasn't horrible at focus tracking, but I never expected it to be great, anyway; I wanted it to shoot bench reactions and in-game player portraits, not fast-breaking game action.

Using a 300 on one my Nikon D4 bodies was the norm until now. It was ok, but the D4 doesn't have enough resolution to really get down-court for a nice big picture. The K-1, however, does, and the 300/4 feels great on it. I was also pleasantly surprised to discover that the DA lens covers FF without vignetting at all (at least not that I've been able to see).

I'm shooting hockey tomorrow, so I'll get a chance to see how it does on the ice.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 1,033
10-30-2016, 12:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is in my honest opinion a professional level photograph. I could not see anything wrong with it if I was paid to. That was a great opportunity for you to capitalize on. Well executed.

Many thanks for sharing.

Antonio
10-30-2016, 12:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Very interesting to read the assessment of Pentax equipment from a pro photojournalist. I'm looking forward to your comments regarding photographing the hockey game coming up.
BTW, great pix of the basket ball player. The bokeh you got really makes the picture 'pop'.

Please continue with posts regarding your working experience and assessment with Pentax (also your Nikon, Leica) equipment .
It's very informative to get an analysis from a pro, covering sporting events.
10-30-2016, 03:14 AM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeakAction Quote
I have to say the 300/K-1 combo did better than I was expecting.
Yep. I can't claim to be a pro, but my experience echos what you're seeing. The resolution this combo can achieve is rather special.

Anyhoo, welcome to the forums Darren, I hope we see more of your work and insights on the world of photography.

Tas

10-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
I just finished at the hockey game, but unfortunately the K-1/300 combo didn't fare as well as it did for basketball. The action was just too fast for it, but it was ok for bench shots and some face-off shots. I hope Pentax can add some more focus tracking ability via a firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath.

D
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You have some good ones even if you couldnt get everything.
As an ex Minnesotan in New Orleans, I wonder about A Davis's knee and still hate the Stars being in Dallas. I just warmed to the Wild when they got Zack P.