Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Future City
Posted By: GavinIvey, 02-14-2007, 09:09 PM

This was with my ZX7 a few years ago. Ilford 400 B&W, Sigma 28-80, and a 4x magnifier.

Views: 1,690
02-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
Forum Member

very nice shot... for some reason, i am seeing an "effect" that makes it look like it gets out of focus really fast the farther back you go...
02-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by plmuzikmaster Quote
very nice shot... for some reason, i am seeing an "effect" that makes it look like it gets out of focus really fast the farther back you go...
That's an effect called Depth-of-field. Using selective depth of field you can create all sorts of effects like this.

The wider the aperture on your lens (i.e. the lower the number) the smaller the amount of distance that seems in focus. This is one of the reasons why there are lenses that are f1.4 / f1.2 etc.

IRC, Canon made a lens back in the 60's that was f0.95. I would imagine the DOF would be very small indeed and would require an extremely critical eye on focusing.
02-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That happens to me all the time when I don't have my glasses on. The further I get away, the more out of focus it is.

I like the title for this shot. Traces look like streets, Components are highrises, houses...

02-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments!
02-16-2007, 02:34 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
That's an effect called Depth-of-field. Using selective depth of field you can create all sorts of effects like this.

The wider the aperture on your lens (i.e. the lower the number) the smaller the amount of distance that seems in focus. This is one of the reasons why there are lenses that are f1.4 / f1.2 etc.

IRC, Canon made a lens back in the 60's that was f0.95. I would imagine the DOF would be very small indeed and would require an extremely critical eye on focusing.
i know... i was just saying that it looked like there was a HUGE jump... what lense did you use?
02-16-2007, 03:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
i know... i was just saying that it looked like there was a HUGE jump... what lense did you use?
I used a sigma 28-80. It came with my ZX-7. And I also used 3 stacked magnifying filters. A +1, +2, and a +4. Not sure what that comes to since they are magnifying each other. But it is hard to get what you want in focus and it multiplies everything, even the DOF. The shot is of an old 14k phone modem.

02-16-2007, 03:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
This is the printed circuit board from the same modem. The little dots are about the size of a pinhead if not smaller to give you an idea of how much it is magnified.

02-16-2007, 04:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great concept shot. The title makes it work. Thanks for sharing.
regards,