Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Out of context portrait
Posted By: Jonas B, 02-15-2007, 04:06 AM

This picture is taken out of it's context. Still, is it possible for you to post a oneliner about your first impression: What do you see?

©Jonas B 2006

I appreciate any first impression comment.

Thank you,
Views: 3,023
02-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
My first thought was "androgynous"
Now that's a word I've never come across...don't worry I'm beating down the dictionary already.

02-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
My first thought was "androgynous" - my second, after reading the thread, was "probably would have some interesting musical choices to recommend" )
Maybe . . . but I've never dug pop music.
02-16-2007, 04:15 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I would like to thank you all for your comments. Thought-provocative and at the same time not that surprising (except for the cancer theories by some into medicin I guess). And Julie, you perceived a lot in a short time.

I like the picture just as I like many portraits that aren't just the common smiling to the camera face. Braking rules make things like this. As allready mentioned I smacked a flash right into her face while she was sitting in a dark corner in our kitchen. And no, she wasn't high, but tired and sitting waiting for a ride home. First I told her to look into the camera and at the same time ignore me. Well, we all know how that can work...
This wasn't supposed to become a portrait like this but a little part of something else I may get back to some day.

Living with children that are close to be adults means you can meet a lot of interesting, and sometimes struggling, young men and women trying to find their way through life. This girl/woman is on her way I think, but going slowly.

You can't guess from the picture but she is a witty and smart person, quite fun being with. Caring more for others than for herself, a thing not that uncommon I think. She is not shy for the camera and I have taken her picture a couple of times for the last years. I wonder what will happen to her, and where she will end up.

regards,
02-16-2007, 04:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Fun with papa's toupe? I think they used to call the technique "Killing off the lights" back in the day where portraits of people since deceased had the lights in their eyes removed in editorials (images of Winston Churchill before and after were the examples given to us). When looking into her eyes you see no "lights/ life" and adds to the sombre mood of the portrait.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 02-16-2007 at 05:19 AM. Reason: added explanation
02-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Jonas. Your posts are always interesting. When I saw the photo my first reaction was "tired". It is a good photo and the b/w gives it the right mood.
I see a lot of these young people who are trying to find their place in the world. Having a 11 year old makes you more aware of the teen/young adult stage that will come around very quick.
Thank you for sharing.

Cheers

Eddie
02-17-2007, 03:28 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mingdie Quote
Jonas. Your posts are always interesting. When I saw the photo my first reaction was "tired". It is a good photo and the b/w gives it the right mood.
I see a lot of these young people who are trying to find their place in the world. Having a 11 year old makes you more aware of the teen/young adult stage that will come around very quick.
Thank you for sharing. - Cheers - Eddie
Thank you Eddie.

It's interesting to see how we first change emotionally by becoming parents. As time go by we continue to follow them and focus on different things. Without being active and care about their lifes we won't understand what's going on. It's a tough call, but fun. I have came to appreciate my children more and more as they have grown up, all the time in different ways.

regards,
02-17-2007, 06:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Julie, you perceived a lot in a short time.
I suppose I could have distilled it into a few words, but a lot of conflicting thoughts went through my mind all at once so I tried to write them all down. Photographs are much more economical...

QuoteQuote:
Living with children that are close to be adults means you can meet a lot of interesting, and sometimes struggling, young men and women trying to find their way through life. This girl/woman is on her way I think, but going slowly.
Struggling - good word. I was never as extreme as she is, but like most kids I struggled with my identity and spent a fair amount of time hiding behind a facade - wearing what amounted to a "uniform of unconformity" because I didn't know how I wanted to be. I can see that struggle in this portrait.

QuoteQuote:
You can't guess from the picture but she is a witty and smart person, quite fun being with. Caring more for others than for herself, a thing not that uncommon I think.
This is a great example both of the power of a photograph to create a mood and the effectiveness of the "look" she's adopted to hide herself. You've created a rather disturbing mood with this portrait (just to be clear, that's a Good Thing, I love this photo) and because of her fashion she projects a very different persona than you describe. Maybe that's also because she was tired. Anyway, a photograph may be worth a thousand words, but a person is more than that, so a photograph of them can only capture part. And what a capture this is! Thanks.

Julie

02-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first impression-

"Damn, maybe I shouldn'ta stuck me finger in that socket".
02-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Julie, I read your comments with interest. And thank you.
02-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster

No... 240VAC is tough... Thanks,