Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Ultimate Mouser
Lens: FA 35 Camera: Olympus E-10 m4/3 Photo Location: Cellar ISO: 25600 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F2 
Posted By: wildman, 11-18-2016, 07:58 PM

Didn't expect much out of this - Sonny down in the cellar doing his thing - mousing. Almost no light and using an adapted lens on the Oly for the first time. Max ISO at Max aperture. The only light was through a small high cellar window. I don't think my k5 would have done any better.

Model E-M10
Shutter Speed 1/200 s
ISO ISO 25600
Exposure Bias Value -0.70 eV
Metering Mode Pattern
Flash Auto, Did not fire
Date/Time Original 11/18/2016 4:20:42 PM

Last edited by wildman; 11-28-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Views: 890
11-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
nice shot! he looks very content.
11-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by doroth2 Quote
nice shot! he looks very content.
Actually I think he had a mouse cornered back in a pile of old stuff and was just waiting.
Sonny adopted us years ago. We had visited the farm and when we got home there he was under the driver's seat and the rest is history.
He's a barn cat and has never forgotten his roots. To this day he eats little of what we put out for him because of all the prey he finds down in the cellar.
11-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
handsome feline

I know cats get all the credit but have you ever lived with a terrier?

11-18-2016, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #5

My cats are pretty worthless. I mean, cute and cuddly, but otherwise spend most of their time lounging or demanding to be fed. They do catch an occasional cockroach, and longingly watch the squirrels in the yard. I imagine they wouldn't know what to do with it if they actually got one.

11-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very good for the conditions.
11-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

Back to the photo though, focus is incredible and lighting is perfect, despite lack of light.

11-19-2016, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
have you ever lived with a terrier?
Nope. Did have a Brittany Spaniel (Rip) for a while. But he was a very active aggressive hunter and always wanted to get out into the woods and raise hell with the wildlife. The soul of a ferret in the body of a dog.
We ended up giving him to a terminally ill 9 year old boy. The boy died at the age of 14 and Rip a few years later. Rip seemed to know the boy needed him so he calmed down and spent many hours just sitting along side the boy in his wheel chair on the porch. I don't think he was ever meant for us but as it ended RIP was the right dog for the right boy. They are both now buried side by side in a little rural cemetery.

Rip on right with his Irish friend...

Last edited by wildman; 11-21-2016 at 10:00 PM.
11-19-2016, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Very good for the conditions.
Back to the photo though, focus is incredible and lighting is perfect, despite lack of light.

Need to put in a plug for the mirrorless Oly.
The Oly allows me to precisely set the Ev before I take the picture and in real time. A big deal for a RAW ETTR shooter like myself.
I have the histogram below the image in the viewfinder and a dedicated Ev wheel right at hand - never have to break my concentration fussing with chimping to get a perfect ETTR exposure. Quick, simple and accurate.

This pic is a case in point. Given the ambient lighting I would have never intuitively guessed a proper ETTR exposure would require an Ev of -.7 but when I got it into Photoshop the hgram generated by Photoshop agreed exactly with the hgram in the Oly viewfinder. I wish my K5 had this feature.

Also a plug for the FA 35, It's the only normal FL glass that I have where I never hesitate to use it wide open. For all practical purposes it is about as sharp wide open as at f/8. And it has a nice cool, and to my eye, a natural accurate color rendering that I prefer.

Last edited by wildman; 11-19-2016 at 05:20 AM.
11-19-2016, 07:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They do catch an occasional cockroach, and longingly watch the squirrels in the yard. I imagine they wouldn't know what to do with it if they actually got one.
I remember seeing a feral cat stalk and kill a grey squirrel. It was quick and efficient. She got within striking range and leapt on the back of the squirrel, a quick deep bite at the spine near the head, a short quiver from the prey and it was all over within 30 secs.

What do you call a 600 pound house cat? A tiger.
11-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an FA 35 with busted autofocus. You're making me think that rather than sell mine I should keep it for my mirrorless Gx-1.
11-19-2016, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You're making me think that rather than sell mine I should keep it for my mirrorless Gx-1.
And you would have full manual control of aperture.
11-19-2016, 06:37 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
And you would have full manual control of aperture.
Might be fun to play with. I may try that.
11-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Nope. Did have a Brittany Spaniel (Rip) for a while. But he was a very active aggressive hunter and always wanted to get out into the woods and raise hell with the wildlife. The soul of a ferret in the body of a dog.
We ended up giving him to a terminally ill 9 year old boy. The boy died at the age of 14 and Rip a few years later. Rip seemed to know the boy needed him so he calmed down and spent many hours just sitting along side the boy in his wheel chair on the porch. I don't think he was ever meant for us but as it ended RIP was the right dog for the right boy. They are both now buried side by side in a little rural cemetery.

Rip on right with his Irish friend...
That is quite the story. Wonderful that you could share him with someone in need, and that he had that bond.
I've been around enough dogs over the years to understand also your "meant for us" comment. Sometimes the dog really is connected with someone in particular. I chuckle to think of a big huntaway working dog in my past connecting with another family member who never did work with the dog on the farm.

On topic, that is quite the exposure at that ISO. Good work, and I do like it when they get fixated like that.
11-20-2016, 03:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just thought I would throw this in for comparison with the FA 35 - the DA 50.
Just a quick and dirty snapshot with little PP done on it. What jumps out at me is the paper thin DOF - impractical for most of my purposes. Also it's really a hassle to not have an aperture ring even though the adapter allows aperture adjustment. In any case I have the kit and short tele kit lens and they are surprisingly good. I mainly bought the Oly to hang off the back end of the 560mm for birding and that works fine.

Model E-M10
Lens DA 50
Shutter Speed 1/80 s
F-Number f/1.8
ISO ISO 6400
Exposure Bias Value -1 eV
Metering Mode Pattern
Flash Auto, Did not fire
Focal Length 50 mm
Date/Time Original 11/19/2016 4:33:51 PM

Last edited by wildman; 11-21-2016 at 10:00 PM.