Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Mam Tor Ridge
Lens: 31mm f1.8 Limited Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Mam Tor, Peak District ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/13s Aperture: F10 
Posted By: Peter Nutkins, 11-19-2016, 12:21 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

With only a few weeks left of autumnal sun before the rain clouds of winter bring everything to a drab greyness, and after a few unplanned disasters, I finally planned out a photo shoot properly. Mam Tor is in the Peak District. I was flicking through some images on Flickr and saw some really good shots. So I planned a photoshoot at this great location.

My research was extensive. On Google Maps I found a lay-by with co-ordinates 53°20'54.8"N 1°48'47.3”W. This would take me nearly to the top of the Tor. It would mean just a short climb (eek) and along a bit to get the shot I wanted. Afterward I could nip to Padley Gorge to take some forest shots. I had never been to these places before.

After my Train Troubles I decided to kit myself out with some new trousers. I picked up some bargain cargo pants from a well know supermarket for just a few pounds. They had lots of pockets to put things in. Cereal bars, filters, cable release etc. Bargain! An additional benefit is that they came with a free belt. No more worries about being caught out being over exposed as I did in London!

I hate being too hot. So I packed my light waterproof jacket into the car with the rest of my kit. I was all set. Camera set up to go with charged batteries, cereal bars, jacket and iPhone with the directions on.

Getting up at 3am adds to the excitement of any big adventure. Quickly throwing some coffee and breakfast down my throat I headed out. It would take about one and half hours to get to the lay-by. Then I allowed half an hour for any unplanned disaster plus an hour to make the 100 yard climb and another hour to get to my spot and set up ready for sunrise. The sun was set to rise over the ridge leading up to Mam Tor giving an excellent image, especially as there was quite likely to be some cloud below to make a sort of sun through the mist extravaganza!

There is something very satisfying about being really well planned. It is also a bit less fun. Still, I zipped up the M1 motorway at 56mph (to maximise full efficiency). It was dark. It was raining. Leaving Leicestershire and heading into Nottinghamshire the rain eased off. Filled with new enthusiasm I made my way into Derbyshire.

Chesterfield is a wet place. I do not know what it looks like (it was dark) but all I remember is that the rain started really coming down quickly. Still, on Mam Tor I would be above the clouds so it would all be OK.

My iPhone led me directly to the base of a hill…it was somewhere near Castleton. I got out and looked about. This was certainly not a lay-by and not Mam Tor….despite all my planning I was lost.

With no signal on my iPhone it was guess time. I headed back to Castleton where EE has one bar. I eventually found my way to 53°20'54.8"N 1°48'47.3”W. It was 5am. Sunrise would be at 7:21am.

By 6am I was seriously bored and cold. Sitting in the lay by so that nobody else could have it, it was very dark and there was a light drizzle. I was beginning to question the whole trip. Why was I even doing this? Someone with heart and lung disease should be sitting at home with a blanket over their knees. Not sitting in a lay-by preparing to take photos in the dark at 6am.

I wish I had thought of bringing a torch.

By 6:05am I decided to head out into the dark. My thinking was that my eyes would adjust to the dark and I would soon be able to see what I was doing. Putting on my jacket and grabbing my camera and tripod I made my way through the wind and rain to the gate leading to Mam.

My eyes were not adjusting as quickly as I thought. It started to go wrong when I stepped into what felt like a giant puddle. Instantly my boots filled with water. Quickly moving forward I lurched into another big puddle. Slightly confused (as I thought I was on a path) I grumbled to myself.

After just a few yards the path rises up and the wind really hit me. Now I could not see what I was doing, had cold wet feet, was getting wetter all over with the rain and was buffeted by the wind. Then something moved infant of me….I stood frozen to the spot.

Sheep live on Mam Tor. Big, silent sheep that lurk in the shadows and jump out at unsuspecting visitors. I wish I had thought of bringing a torch.

Calming myself down I took stock. As a family we have been reading Pilgrim’s Progress. To me Mam Tor would be a bit like the Hill of Difficulty…

All of a sudden I realised how stupid I had been. By now I was finding breathing difficult. My waterproof jacket was turning out to be less than waterproof, and I realised why my trousers had been so cheap. Wet cargos cling to your legs. I tried getting out my iPhone to check the time. My fingers were so cold and wet the touch screen would not respond.

I was still frozen to the spot. This time with indecision. Should I carry on, or just do the sensible thing and turn back?

Remembering Pilgrim I decided to just go a little bit further. One step at a time.

With each step my breathing became more difficult. The wind howled about me and the rain stung my face.
Little by little I made my way to the top of Mam Tor. Not stopping I carried on in the hope that I would get out of the wind. It was at that point that my hood disappeared. Not a big fan of hats and hoods I had only reluctantly put the hood up as my face was so wet and it gave me some respite from the wind. It was a shock when it suddenly disappeared.

Putting down my camera and tripod I found my hood still stuck to the jacket my a popper. I had not known that it was detachable. My fingers were too cold and wet to even think about re popping it back on so I put the hood back on and held it in place by putting the other side in my mouth.

Eventually I got to the spot I wanted.

There was no sunrise. It just got a bit lighter.

There was just cloud and rain and cold and wind.

I snapped off a few shots then slowly headed back.

Making my way, hands full of camera and tripod, mouth full of hood, I eventually got to the path leading to the gate. Coming up the path was an elderly chap in shorts out for a stroll. Great….

With a little more light I could see that this side of the gate there were what looked like troughs full of water. I had managed to walk through them. Great….

Getting to the lay-by I realised that I was absolutely soaking. My camera bag was wet both inside and out. All of my clothes and my boots were sopping. I was physically and mentally worn out. I was in a bad state, but I had survived!

With no way to dry myself I jumped in the car. I needed to dry off. I had a brilliant idea…I could head to Sheffield and buy new, dry clothes…
Views: 913
11-19-2016, 01:12 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your exploits are the makings for a fine photographers guide book to places of interest.
11-19-2016, 01:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Your exploits are the makings for a fine photographers guide book to places of interest.
LOL or proof I need to be sectioned!

Have a great day!
11-19-2016, 03:44 AM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Nutkins Quote
With a little more light I could see that this side of the gate there were what looked like troughs full of water. I had managed to walk through them. Great….
A bloody good yarn mate, had a ROFL moment when I read this line...

If it's too easy it's not worth doing.

Tas

11-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
A bloody good yarn mate, had a ROFL moment when I read this line...

If it's too easy it's not worth doing.

Tas
Glad you enjoyed!
11-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeez Peter, I know Mam Tor is a thing of beauty but be safe out there! Hypothermia is not to be taken lightly and it can sneak up on you very quickly when you are cold and wet in a hostile environment. You might want to think about packing a survival blanket in your bag/pockets for the next trip. They pack up really small but can literally save your life and you can pick them up for very little money at any camping/hiking store (like Millets for example Eurohike Survival Blanket).

At least you got a nice, moody, shot for your troubles.
11-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Jeez Peter, I know Mam Tor is a thing of beauty but be safe out there! Hypothermia is not to be taken lightly and it can sneak up on you very quickly when you are cold and wet in a hostile environment. You might want to think about packing a survival blanket in your bag/pockets for the next trip. They pack up really small but can literally save your life and you can pick them up for very little money at any camping/hiking store (like Millets for example Eurohike Survival Blanket).

At least you got a nice, moody, shot for your troubles.
Thanks Tako....I do think I need to re-think my approach and be a bit more sensible...

£2.80 for the blanket is a bargain...I will get one!
11-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

what looked like troughs full of water

Should have taken a left at the Slough of Despond, mate...

A seriously funny essay (and great picture)...BTW, last semester I found myself sharing a workout studio here at Land Grant U with a South Asian lass with the loveliest Brummie accent...could have chatted with her all afternoon, but my wife was all, like, Sadly, no.

11-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Tako....I do think I need to re-think my approach and be a bit more sensible...

£2.80 for the blanket is a bargain...I will get one!
I used to do a lot of hiking in the Peak District and North Wales and I always had a survival blanket tucked into a pocket in my rucksack. I was also a member of RAYNET (the Radio Amateurs Emergency Network) and we would provide emergency radio coverage for events and for local authorities at times of emergency and I always had a blanket in my radio 'grab bag' too. Thankfully I never needed the blankets myself but I did hand a couple out over the years to people on special events (marathons, fell runs, etc.) who had been injured or become unwell so that they could keep warm until the medics arrived.
11-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your stories paint a wonderful image!
The photo was an excellent bonus.

Thanks for sharing!
11-19-2016, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Ah, but without the experience you couldn't post the adventure! Nice pic, BTW.

Maybe look at the positives?
- That after coffee/tea/beverage never tasted so good!
- Those dry clothes probably felt wonderful
- You'll always bring a torch next time
- You can definitely brag about Pentax WR ability

Cheers!
11-20-2016, 11:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Should have taken a left at the Slough of Despond, mate...

A seriously funny essay (and great picture)...BTW, last semester I found myself sharing a workout studio here at Land Grant U with a South Asian lass with the loveliest Brummie accent...could have chatted with her all afternoon, but my wife was all, like, Sadly, no.

Glad you liked it Creation Bear! Have a great week

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2016 at 11:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Your stories paint a wonderful image!
The photo was an excellent bonus.

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Riggomatic!

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2016 at 11:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Ah, but without the experience you couldn't post the adventure! Nice pic, BTW.

Maybe look at the positives?
- That after coffee/tea/beverage never tasted so good!
- Those dry clothes probably felt wonderful
- You'll always bring a torch next time
- You can definitely brag about Pentax WR ability

Cheers!
Thanks Clarkey....did not get dry clothes in the end, maybe I should write up what happened next?

Have a great week
10-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[/url][/IMG]

With only a few weeks left of autumnal sun before the rain clouds of winter bring everything to a drab greyness, and after a few unplanned disasters, I finally planned out a photo shoot properly. Mam Tor is in the Peak District. I was flicking through some images on Flickr and saw some really good shots. So I planned a photoshoot at this great location.

My research was extensive. On Google Maps I found a lay-by with co-ordinates 53°20'54.8"N 1°48'47.3”W. This would take me nearly to the top of the Tor. It would mean just a short climb (eek) and along a bit to get the shot I wanted. Afterward I could nip to Padley Gorge to take some forest shots. I had never been to these places before.

After my Train Troubles I decided to kit myself out with some new trousers. I picked up some bargain cargo pants from a well know supermarket for just a few pounds. They had lots of pockets to put things in. Cereal bars, filters, cable release etc. Bargain! An additional benefit is that they came with a free belt. No more worries about being caught out being over exposed as I did in London!

I hate being too hot. So I packed my light waterproof jacket into the car with the rest of my kit. I was all set. Camera set up to go with charged batteries, cereal bars, jacket and iPhone with the directions on.

Getting up at 3am adds to the excitement of any big adventure. Quickly throwing some coffee and breakfast down my throat I headed out. It would take about one and half hours to get to the lay-by. Then I allowed half an hour for any unplanned disaster plus an hour to make the 100 yard climb and another hour to get to my spot and set up ready for sunrise. The sun was set to rise over the ridge leading up to Mam Tor giving an excellent image, especially as there was quite likely to be some cloud below to make a sort of sun through the mist extravaganza!

There is something very satisfying about being really well planned. It is also a bit less fun. Still, I zipped up the M1 motorway at 56mph (to maximise full efficiency). It was dark. It was raining. Leaving Leicestershire and heading into Nottinghamshire the rain eased off. Filled with new enthusiasm I made my way into Derbyshire.

Chesterfield is a wet place. I do not know what it looks like (it was dark) but all I remember is that the rain started really coming down quickly. Still, on Mam Tor I would be above the clouds so it would all be OK.

My iPhone led me directly to the base of a hill…it was somewhere near Castleton. I got out and looked about. This was certainly not a lay-by and not Mam Tor….despite all my planning I was lost.

With no signal on my iPhone it was guess time. I headed back to Castleton where EE has one bar. I eventually found my way to 53°20'54.8"N 1°48'47.3”W. It was 5am. Sunrise would be at 7:21am.

By 6am I was seriously bored and cold. Sitting in the lay by so that nobody else could have it, it was very dark and there was a light drizzle. I was beginning to question the whole trip. Why was I even doing this? Someone with heart and lung disease should be sitting at home with a blanket over their knees. Not sitting in a lay-by preparing to take photos in the dark at 6am.

By 6:05am I decided to head out into the dark. My thinking was that my eyes would adjust to the dark and I would soon be able to see what I was doing. Putting on my jacket and grabbing my camera and tripod I made my way through the wind and rain to the gate leading to Mam.

My eyes were not adjusting as quickly as I thought. It started to go wrong when I stepped into what felt like a giant puddle. Instantly my boots filled with water. Quickly moving forward I lurched into another big puddle. Slightly confused (as I thought I was on a path) I grumbled to myself.

After just a few yards the path rises up and the wind really hit me. Now I could not see what I was doing, had cold wet feet, was getting wetter all over with the rain and was buffeted by the wind. Then something moved infant of me….I stood frozen to the spot.

Sheep live on Mam Tor. Big, silent sheep that lurk in the shadows and jump out at unsuspecting visitors. I wish I had thought of bringing a torch.

Calming myself down I took stock. As a family we have been reading Pilgrim’s Progress. To me Mam Tor would be a bit like the Hill of Difficulty…

All of a sudden I realised how stupid I had been. By now I was finding breathing difficult. My waterproof jacket was turning out to be less than waterproof, and I realised why my trousers had been so cheap. Wet cargos cling to your legs. I tried getting out my iPhone to check the time. My fingers were so cold and wet the touch screen would not respond.

I was still frozen to the spot. This time with indecision. Should I carry on, or just do the sensible thing and turn back?

Remembering Pilgrim I decided to just go a little bit further. One step at a time.

With each step my breathing became more difficult. The wind howled about me and the rain stung my face.
Little by little I made my way to the top of Mam Tor. Not stopping I carried on in the hope that I would get out of the wind. It was at that point that my hood disappeared. Not a big fan of hats and hoods I had only reluctantly put the hood up as my face was so wet and it gave me some respite from the wind. It was a shock when it suddenly disappeared.

Putting down my camera and tripod I found my hood still stuck to the jacket my a popper. I had not known that it was detachable. My fingers were too cold and wet to even think about re popping it back on so I put the hood back on and held it in place by putting the other side in my mouth.

Making my way, hands full of camera and tripod, mouth full of hood, I eventually got to the path leading to the gate. Coming up the path was an elderly chap in shorts out for a stroll. Great….

Getting to the lay-by I realised that I was absolutely soaking. My camera bag was wet both inside and out. All of my clothes and my boots were sopping. I was physically and mentally worn out. I was in a bad state, but I had survived!

With no way to dry myself I jumped in the car. I needed to dry off. I had a brilliant idea…I could head to Sheffield and buy new, dry clothes…
A very pretty scene!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-06-2017, 12:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A very pretty scene!
Thanks Adam
07-27-2018, 06:38 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[/url][/IMG]

Amazing view.