Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Mam Tor Adventure Part 2
Lens: 31mm f1.8 Limited Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Padley Gorge ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Peter Nutkins, 11-22-2016, 12:01 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

After my Mam Tor experience I made my way to Sheffield. The car heater was set to ‘roast’ but it was not drying me out. My face was hot but everything else was oozing water. I dared not turn the electric seat warmer on in case it was so wet it would have given me a shock. I could just imagine the Daily Mail headline - “Shock as seat kills wet driver’.

Sheffield must have clothes shops. It must have somewhere warm I could dry off and get changed. Confusion was setting in and the drive home was just too far, so this would be my best option.

By the time I got to the outskirts of Sheffield I was desperate. Somehow I found a garage with a restaurant attached. Getting out of my car I noted that the seat was dripping wet. I squelched into the restaurant. A happy looking attendant greeted me with a smile that quickly changed to a look of horror. I shuffled towards the gents. He called out that the facilities were only for paying customers. I kept on going. He did not argue with what must have looked like a desperate man who had just crawled out of a river after a fully clothed swim.

Dribbling water behind me I made my way to the loo. It is surprisingly difficult to do anything when you are really wet and really cold. I had a bright idea. On the wall were some heated automatic hand blowers. Putting my hand under the sensor gave me a blast of warm air. I bent over trying to get the seat of my trousers dry. Sadly the sensor was a bit too high to detect me. Bent over on tip toes I wafted my hand behind me to keep the sensor going.

Watching the door, in case the attendant came in to see what was going on and saw me bent over in a rather strange position, I kept the dryer going for a good few minutes.

I checked my trousers. It had made little difference. I headed back into the restaurant to get a coffee and work out what I could do.

The restaurant was quite posh. It had nice seats with cloth tops. I sat at a table in the window. I could feel the water being sucked up by the seat. I ordered a coffee and cooked breakfast and sat very still.

Once I had finished my food the attendant fussed over me. If I stood up he would see the seat. It was very wet. I was still very wet too.

Eventually he went to the till and I made a break for it. I paid and squelched out.

Getting back into the car and looking forward to another roasting I headed off to Padley Gorge. The sun was now out so a walk in the forest might dry me off. Saves buying more clothes.

Padley Gorge is a deep and narrow valley in the Peak District between the village of Grindleford and the A6187. The gorge is wooded with a stream, the Burbage Brook, at the bottom. You can park at nearby Grindleford Station which also has a cafe.

I parked up and made my way into the forest. To get to the forest there is a short path that leads past some lovely looking houses. I was very tired by now. The path was uphill. I decided that I would stop every few yards and have a rest. By now there were people walking about, they were all looking very fit and healthy. I looked haggard and wet.

To make stopping for a rest look like something any normal person might do I pretended to be very interested in the houses. At the gate of each one I stopped and admired them. This soon attracted attention from the residents who came out to see what I was doing. No doubt to them I was a burglar casing my next heist.

Eventually I got to the tree line. Some happy looking students from a nearby College were doing some filming. When they saw me they quickly disappeared into the forest. Did I look that rough?

After only a few minutes I realised I was too tired and wet to continue. Snapping off a few shots I made my way back past the angry looking residents to the station for a cup of tea at the cafe.

Padley Gorge had defeated me. I headed home deflated.

This image is a stitch of a number of images together....hope you like it!
Views: 649
11-22-2016, 12:52 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I mentioned to you before... what date is the book launch, I'm up for a copy.
11-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you are soaked to the skin and cold to the core it's hard to concentrate on anything (other than getting warm again). It happened a few times to me when I was either hiking or riding motorcycles (for 19 years when I lived in the UK) and it's never enjoyable. At least you managed to get some shots from the trip and the composite looks very good.

I'm with KD on the book thing, "The Suffering of a Landscape Photographer" might be a good title and you can certainly churn out the engaging text to go along with your outstanding imagery (your London blogs are very well written too).
11-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
As I mentioned to you before... what date is the book launch, I'm up for a copy.
LOL Glad you like the narrative!

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2016 at 11:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
When you are soaked to the skin and cold to the core it's hard to concentrate on anything (other than getting warm again). It happened a few times to me when I was either hiking or riding motorcycles (for 19 years when I lived in the UK) and it's never enjoyable. At least you managed to get some shots from the trip and the composite looks very good.

I'm with KD on the book thing, "The Suffering of a Landscape Photographer" might be a good title and you can certainly churn out the engaging text to go along with your outstanding imagery (your London blogs are very well written too).
Thanks Tako - you are so kind. I love the idea of writing a book....great idea for a title too!

11-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great story & you managed an amazing shot! Stay dry & warm.
11-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We must suffer for our art. A stunning image.
11-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
Great story & you managed an amazing shot! Stay dry & warm.
Thanks Joi.....will do!

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2016 at 11:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
We must suffer for our art. A stunning image.
Thank you very much!
11-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another great shot Peter.

11-23-2016, 11:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Another great shot Peter.
Thanks Janse
12-26-2017, 04:42 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Nutkins Quote
[/url][/IMG]

After my Mam Tor experience I made my way to Sheffield. The car heater was set to ‘roast’ but it was not drying me out. My face was hot but everything else was oozing water. I dared not turn the electric seat warmer on in case it was so wet it would have given me a shock. I could just imagine the Daily Mail headline - “Shock as seat kills wet driver’.

Sheffield must have clothes shops. It must have somewhere warm I could dry off and get changed. Confusion was setting in and the drive home was just too far, so this would be my best option.

By the time I got to the outskirts of Sheffield I was desperate. Somehow I found a garage with a restaurant attached. Getting out of my car I noted that the seat was dripping wet. I squelched into the restaurant. A happy looking attendant greeted me with a smile that quickly changed to a look of horror. I shuffled towards the gents. He called out that the facilities were only for paying customers. I kept on going. He did not argue with what must have looked like a desperate man who had just crawled out of a river after a fully clothed swim.

Dribbling water behind me I made my way to the loo. It is surprisingly difficult to do anything when you are really wet and really cold. I had a bright idea. On the wall were some heated automatic hand blowers. Putting my hand under the sensor gave me a blast of warm air. I bent over trying to get the seat of my trousers dry. Sadly the sensor was a bit too high to detect me. Bent over on tip toes I wafted my hand behind me to keep the sensor going.

Watching the door, in case the attendant came in to see what was going on and saw me bent over in a rather strange position, I kept the dryer going for a good few minutes.

I checked my trousers. It had made little difference. I headed back into the restaurant to get a coffee and work out what I could do.

The restaurant was quite posh. It had nice seats with cloth tops. I sat at a table in the window. I could feel the water being sucked up by the seat. I ordered a coffee and cooked breakfast and sat very still.

Once I had finished my food the attendant fussed over me. If I stood up he would see the seat. It was very wet. I was still very wet too.

Eventually he went to the till and I made a break for it. I paid and squelched out.

Getting back into the car and looking forward to another roasting I headed off to Padley Gorge. The sun was now out so a walk in the forest might dry me off. Saves buying more clothes.

Padley Gorge is a deep and narrow valley in the Peak District between the village of Grindleford and the A6187. The gorge is wooded with a stream, the Burbage Brook, at the bottom. You can park at nearby Grindleford Station which also has a cafe.

I parked up and made my way into the forest. To get to the forest there is a short path that leads past some lovely looking houses. I was very tired by now. The path was uphill. I decided that I would stop every few yards and have a rest. By now there were people walking about, they were all looking very fit and healthy. I looked haggard and wet.

To make stopping for a rest look like something any normal person might do I pretended to be very interested in the houses. At the gate of each one I stopped and admired them. This soon attracted attention from the residents who came out to see what I was doing. No doubt to them I was a burglar casing my next heist.

Eventually I got to the tree line. Some happy looking students from a nearby College were doing some filming. When they saw me they quickly disappeared into the forest. Did I look that rough?

After only a few minutes I realised I was too tired and wet to continue. Snapping off a few shots I made my way back past the angry looking residents to the station for a cup of tea at the cafe.

Love that rich green!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #11
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Nutkins Quote
[/url][/IMG]

Lovely greens