Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DCA - Fun at the Airport
Posted By: mel, 07-30-2008, 04:06 PM

DCA - Reagan National Airport, Washington DC, USA (well, technically, it is in Virginia)

Son #2 spent a couple weeks being spoiled rotten by grandparents. I took these shots while waiting at the airport to pick him up the other night. Airports are kind of cool at night when they're empty and the windows are dark. This particular airport underwent some major renovations recently.

A coworker of mine placed an order to purchase a couple prints each of the first two images. Her husband was one of the engineers that worked on the project and her son helped with the construction. Now if I can just figure out where to get decent prints made . . .

All shots are handheld. Comments welcome.

Views: 2,680
07-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are really nice. I was in DC a few weeks ago and got a couple of details of Reagan during a morning wait for a plane. Nothing I got is close to being as dramatic as you night shots. Makes me kind of jealous.

Jer
07-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These are really nice. I was in DC a few weeks ago and got a couple of details of Reagan during a morning wait for a plane. Nothing I got is close to being as dramatic as you night shots. Makes me kind of jealous.

Jer
Thanks. It's interesting the difference in ambience of the airport during the busy daytime and late at night when it's practically empty. It had an almost cathedral-like atmosphere. Well, except for the constant TSA announcements that is. You'll just have to plan another trip to DC and plan your return flight for later. Then hang out before the security gates for a while.

Thanks for looking!
07-31-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

They're quite nice Mel. I really like the lighting - good eye, good catch.

07-31-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The first one relly grabs my attention as It draws on the length of the subject

Id buy one too its that good

cheers
07-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Mel,

Sorry I havn't answered earlier. I'd take them to Ace Photo and have them printed on the metallic paper. These would look great on it.

If you cant get to Ace, I'd suggest Ritz, just be sure to tell them NOT to sharpen the photos in their software (assuming you have already done this yourself). And if you don't like the print, tell em and ask them to do it over with the corrections you desire.

Great shots by the way... And again, I envy you your steady hands. I'd need a tripod for these (shakey old guy! LOL)
07-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well done, Mel. I flew out of Reagan about 6 months ago (one of the first flights out), and I got there really early so I had some time to kill before the security gates even opened. I spent some time looking at the architecture and realized it is nicely done. But, given a choice, I always fly out of Dulles for the convience.

07-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Very well done Mel. It sure doesn't look like it did a few years ago when I went through there. My oldest son was in Alexandria VA at the Washington Consortium of Architecture for a year during his studies. I loved Alexandia. But it was too dang humid and hot in August for me there!
07-31-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Not everybody looks up or sees when they do. These are very nice.

I love number 1, as it has a terminus way at the end... kind of satisfying to my sense of perspective in that respect. Sort of appeals to some base need for a beginning, middle and end in things...

Very nice series.

woof!
07-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I love the light, colors, contrast, and detail in those shots. Nice work!
07-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great colors on those shots. Well done.
07-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Very cathedral-like. I can't figure which one I like best. They're all great photos...
07-31-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Very well done Mel. It sure doesn't look like it did a few years ago when I went through there. My oldest son was in Alexandria VA at the Washington Consortium of Architecture for a year during his studies. I loved Alexandia. But it was too dang humid and hot in August for me there!
Aw, c'mon LaRee, I work in Olde Town Alexandria and it was only 95 degrees yesterday, and a "cool" 92 today. BTW, the heat index was only about 3-5 degrees higher than actual.
07-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #14
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. And I agree woof, most people don't look up. I, however, spend a great deal of time looking at the clouds when I walk my dog so looking up at the ceiling is the next thing. I'm glad I did. When I was at this airport last August for an outgoing flight I didn't even see this this as it was straight to security and hurry to the gate. It's nice to be able to take a few moments and look at the everyday and find the extraordinary.

It's a beautiful airport now and with the outside darkness and the inside emptiness it was amazing.

Thanks again for the comments and for looking everyone.
07-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Aw, c'mon LaRee, I work in Olde Town Alexandria and it was only 95 degrees yesterday, and a "cool" 92 today. BTW, the heat index was only about 3-5 degrees higher than actual.
Yeah, but what was the humidity? That is what killed me. My son walked my feet off all day around the museums and "the mall" in Washington DC, then we walked to Union Station. We got inside and sat down at one of the tables and this woman looked at me as if to say, "you poor thing". I was a drenched mess! After that day I carried around a dang hotel washcloth in my pocket. At least it made it a bit more bearable. Living almost 50 years in California has spoiled me. I felt the same way when I got off the jet in Miami and walked outside. I can't believe people live in that! I guess it's all what you are used to? People do get acclimated to it. We saw men in suits and ties walking down the street in VA when it was 98 degrees and 95 percent humidity. I couldn't believe it!