Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
really impressed with this lens
Lens: da*300mm F4 Camera: K5iis 
Posted By: dewolf, 12-04-2016, 04:19 PM

I have taken thousands of shots with this lens, but almost exclusively at f5.6 - 6.3. rarelt going much higher or lower. I had tried a few F4 shots and was disappointed in the dramatic softness compared to 5.6. But Saturday I decided to shoot exclusively at F4.5 just for fun.
I was shocked, to say the least. I really wasn't expecting sharp, more like almost there but not quite.
For f4.5 I am impressed. Sadly I lost grip of the camera and it dropped and broke the hood. which I will have to save up $50.oo for now. Electrical tape is holding it together, but I am going to have to make a loop to go around my wrist.
Anyone on the fence about this lens should have no fear

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 883
12-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice! Which lens is it? The mobile version does not have that info...
12-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
dewolf

Pentax DA* 300mm F4.
12-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
Anyone on the fence about this lens should have no fear

Recently purchased this lens and first time out with it was disappointed. Tried it out in our yard using tripod on a gloomy, overcast day. Just couldn't get a sharp image. With the help from some forum members I found I was using a WAAAYYY to slow shutter speed. Looking forward to running it through it's paces on a sunny day where I can achieve shutter speeds I see in your EXIF of these beautiful shots. Unfortunately I live in the pacific northwest so that may be a while. Thanks for the encouragement.

12-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Recently purchased this lens and first time out with it was disappointed. Tried it out in our yard using tripod on a gloomy, overcast day. Just couldn't get a sharp image. With the help from some forum members I found I was using a WAAAYYY to slow shutter speed. Looking forward to running it through it's paces on a sunny day where I can achieve shutter speeds I see in your EXIF of these beautiful shots. Unfortunately I live in the pacific northwest so that may be a while. Thanks for the encouragement.
I used to live in Bremerton back in 1966, and ther weather hasn't changed, it is dismal at best this time of yer there lol. I usually shoot with the ISO set and at F4.5 - 6.3. That gives me sufficient speed to get the job done, but this is Florida. I also adjust my exposure comp to -0.7. 2 marks to the left. That underexposes the image but raises my speed slightly, then I fix it in PP. Overcast and grey days with little contrast will throw your AF off a but in some cases. so use that quick shift to dial it in if need be I have to do that about 25% of the time, and usually in overcast or mornings. Some have told me to turn off SR if on a tripod. But I usually shoot free hand so make sure its on if you do.
12-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions dewolf. When using tripod I use the 3 sec delay with remote so SR turns off automatically. Slightly underexposing to increase shutter speed is definitely something I'll try out.
12-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For wildlife, try leaving the shutter speed at 1/1000s.

At 300mm you may find the depth of field requires you to operate at f8 as well for some subjects at some distances.

12-06-2016, 02:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It is a good lens I'm just not real good at using it. And it works well on the K-1.