Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
(OT)Bye Bye Manny!! my tribute to Manny lots of photos.
Posted By: vievetrick, 07-31-2008, 08:22 PM

Well only time will tell if this trade is going to haunt us or not. Good luck to Manny and to all the Dodger fans out there you are in for a treat or maybe a trick. Here are a few of my Manny shots from the past.

Manny takes the plate in 2006. Oh, Dodger fans Manny always before every at bat looks up in the stands on the thirdbase line above the dugout. I never knew why.

A swing and a foul in 2007

Manny meets DiceK

Never again will Manny or Papi have a hitter ahead or behind him in the lineup.

What a swing.

Manny from the Monster

My last shot or one of them of Manny just last weekend. I will miss you bat iin the line up for sure.

Views: 2,108
08-01-2008, 03:26 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I must say I went into yesterday thinking Manny would still be the Sox cleanup man at the end of the day! At two o'clock I was having mixed feelings regarding the trade. Happy that the cause of many aggravations was gone (Run out that grounder Manny!!), but saddened at what could be a huge blow to the Sox's offence. Mad that I think we got to little for him and gave up to much.

Jason Bay is no slouch though, and as a fellow Canuck, I'll be sure to root him on. (I hope he performs better than the last Canadian - EG!)

All in all though, I have to remember Manny was part of the 2004 World Series team that contributed to the happiest moment in my life. I wish my grandpa had been around to see it.

So good luck Manny!

Nice shots Pat!

Mark
08-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
Forum Member

As a Yankees fan, I must say this trade is one of the best the Red Sox have ever made

One less Yankee-Killer!

I bet Joe Torre thought he'd seen the last of good 'ole ManRam.
08-01-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I bet Joe is happy to have the bat on his side for a while. I am just happy the team is the Dodgers and not the Yankees...so far

08-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quirky guy, but one of the absolute best hitters of this era. I'd even go as far as to say he's underrated, in spite of his stats. Red Sox and Yankee fans know just how good he is. Even as a Yankee fan, it was tough watching this whole thing play out. He just seemed to lose the enthusiasm that made him so likeable.
08-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I love baseball, but just can't figure out what makes players tick. I'm an Astros fan and have to admit that it was great watching Craig Biggio play his whole 20+ year career with one team. What a rarity.

You never know how well a trade will turn out. Sometimes the results can't be determined for many years. Like the trade on Jeff Bagwell from your Red Sox for Larry Andersen in the early 90s. Boston ended up with a who's that player and Jeff is a borderline hall of famer.

Good shots. The ones of Manny at the plate are as good as the guys in the special seats with their high dollar Cannons that have $5000+ lenses attached.

I need to get to an Astros (even though they suck) game with the camera. Haven't taken pics at a game since my P&S days.
08-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I bet Joe is happy to have the bat on his side for a while. I am just happy the team is the Dodgers and not the Yankees...so far
It's been a while since a big name slugger went from Boston to New York, but baseball has a very long memory and but we still won't see it happen for a while.

Oops. I spoke out of my tail again. There was that Damon fellow, but Damon was no Ruth.

08-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a Red Sox fan i'm sad to see him go and I think the team will suffer some as a result. Manny obviously wasn't happy in Boston anymore so its probably the best thing in the long run but a player like that isn't easily replaced. Also Manny is one of those colorful players that make baseball the wonderful game that it is.
08-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
Forum Member

Maybe he was tired of Boston giving him those baggy uniforms? Hopefully LA can get him something that fits
08-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well so far so good for Jason Bay I think like the Normar trade in 04 we have turned a corner and things we be just fine. On that same note I have been a Sox fan long enough to know they can still break our hearts just as quick
08-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
As a Red Sox fan i'm sad to see him go and I think the team will suffer some as a result. Manny obviously wasn't happy in Boston anymore so its probably the best thing in the long run but a player like that isn't easily replaced. Also Manny is one of those colorful players that make baseball the wonderful game that it is.

While I live in jersey, but am not really an avid yankee or met fan - like the game in general.

I was actually a little bit of a Manny fan, he was a good player (had his slacking moments) but beside from being just another great hitter on the line up he brought a lot of personality into the game, that frankly most teams dont have. Atleast while the game is going on, theres a good deal of side publicity outside of the game which is mostly crap to pay attention to (ie Madona?/affairs, steroids etc).

I'd always get a good laugh watching ESPN highlights of manny going into the green monster to get a snack or two, make a phone call or who knows what else through the windows of the monster. Also, if he misdives for a ball and looks like a goof, after trying to dive and stumble on it a second time (the play a few weeks ago) he laughs about it. The average player would probably start cursing or slam their hat on the ground, or flat out just not care/indifferent. Manny brought personality into the game that makes watching it much more interesting, without really hurting the team. -- Yes he may not run some ground balls out, but he is far from the only one, I'd estimate 20-30% of people who hit balls to the infield, especially pitcher or second base will rarely run full speed to first. If its a really terrible through, your going to make it on the error anyway, its not like manny has blazing speed where he'd make it to first if he grounded to second if the first baseman bobbled the throw or dropped it anyway, hed still get out after they recovered the bobble or drop. Also, he's not a stellar inshape (muscle yes, general fitness no) where hes going to last the whole game sprinting to every ball in the outfield. Just not the kinda player he is. Your average skinny/athletic outfield wouldnt be able to put up the offensive numbers he can, but they would be more defensive.

Just my manny rant. Wish he went to the mets - would have been fun to catch a few games and still see him in the news. But one can only imagine what manny in hollywood will bring the press.

On the side not, the astros tend to have a history of people staying with the franchise, Biggio was great, think he has a house in the town near me actually. Hasn't lance berkman played there a while too?