Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Similar photos with different depth of fields (I think that's what it is)
Lens: Super-Takumar 135mm Camera: Spotmatic II Photo Location: Featherston Street, Wellington, New Zealand ISO: 400 
Posted By: danlam, 12-12-2016, 03:34 PM

Just wanted to share a couple of photos I took with my Super-Takumar 135mm lens. I like how the photos turned out.

Last edited by danlam; 01-07-2017 at 03:56 AM.
Views: 415
12-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice photos (especially the first one) The depth of field could be different, or it could just be where you focused... the first one is focused on or around that orange Honda car, while the second is focused much further back - which, even at the same aperture, would give a much greater depth of field...
12-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Nice photos (especially the first one) The depth of field could be different, or it could just be where you focused... the first one is focused on or around that orange Honda car, while the second is focused much further back - which, even at the same aperture, would give a much greater depth of field...
Thanks for the reply! Yup I think you are correct, I'm pretty sure I didn't change the Aperture or Shutter Speed, it was just a different focal point (is that what you call it?)
12-13-2016, 12:00 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by danlam Quote
Thanks for the reply! Yup I think you are correct, I'm pretty sure I didn't change the Aperture or Shutter Speed, it was just a different focal point (is that what you call it?)
Strictly speaking, the "focal point" is the point where the rays converge after refraction or reflection through the lens (in a correctly focused image this would be the sensor or film). What we've been talking about is the "focal distance" (Note that I'm no expert, so perhaps others might chime in if my definition here is too loose or just plain wrong ).

The colours in your photos are beautiful. I don't know how much of that was the camera, lens, your post-processing etc., but the result is lovely

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-13-2016 at 01:51 AM.
12-13-2016, 01:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
Strictly speaking, the "focal point" is the point where the rays converge after refraction or reflection through the lens (in a correctly focused image this would be the sensor). What we've been talking about is the "focal distance" (Note that I'm no expert, so perhaps others might chime in if my definition here is too loose or just plain wrong ).

The colours in your photos are beautiful. I don't know how much of that was the camera, lens, your post-processing etc., but the result is lovely
Thanks! I have other photos too if you would like to check them out. I dont develop me own photos (yet) but I want to learn. I get my photos developed at the shop.

---------- Post added 12-13-16 at 01:44 AM ----------

Strictly speaking, the "focal point" is the point where the rays converge after refraction or reflection through the lens (in a correctly focused image this would be the sensor). What we've been talking about is the "focal distance" (Note that I'm no expert, so perhaps others might chime in if my definition here is too loose or just plain wrong ).

From what I can recall those two photos were taken around 4:30ish pm and was really sunny, so my shutter speed would have been 1/1000 or 1/500, and I would have kept the aperture at 3.5. I was using Iso400 film too.
12-13-2016, 01:50 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! I have other photos too if you would like to check them out. I dont develop me own photos (yet) but I want to learn. I get my photos developed at the shop.
Yes, I'd like to

From what I can recall those two photos were taken around 4:30ish pm and was really sunny, so my shutter speed would have been 1/1000 or 1/500, and I would have kept the aperture at 3.5. I was using Iso400 film too.
I hadn't read your equipment properly... I assumed you were using a digital camera, but I see you took this with a Spotmatic II. What was the film, out of interest?
12-13-2016, 01:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yes, I'd like to

I hadn't read your equipment properly... I assumed you were using a digital camera, but I see you took this with a Spotmatic II. What was the film, out of interest?
Ohhhh no worries. Yah, I only use film cameras, I am thinking of going digital soon but film is way too fun at the moment so I have stuck with it. The film was Fuji Superia ISO 400.