Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bugatti's - but not cars
Lens: 50 artwork, 17 family Camera: 6D ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/45s 
Posted By: SpecialK, 12-14-2016, 01:52 AM

The Petersen automobile museum has some Bugatti art on display (as well as Bugatti cars).

Carlo mostly did woodwork. His son Rembrandt was a sculptor. His other son Ettore, and Ettore's son "Jean", were into cars.

OK, here's one car. Type 57C Atalante. Designed in 1939 but due to WWII, not built uintil 1949.

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-14-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Views: 2,114
12-14-2016, 03:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for a nice set of photos, learn something every day, I had always associated Bugatti solely with cars, their other work and the bits of the family tree are very interesting.

CD
12-14-2016, 03:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been a petrol head most of my adult life, and a bit more, and there's no sound quite as amazing as a vintage straight-eight, supercharged Bugatti under full throttle (though the V16 BRM has to run a close second). Ettore didn't just design his cars to go fast and look beautiful, he made them sound like nothing else before, or since.
12-14-2016, 04:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
From a previous "The Art of Bugatti" visit to the Mullin museum in Oxnard (Mullin has loaned Bugatti cars and art to the Petersen).

This never flew.

Mostly French cars (and Bugatti is French, not Italian).

Possibly the most famous item is the "lady of the lake" which is a 1925 Type 22 Brescia Roadster. It was impounded for taxes (about as much as its value) and put into Lake Maggiore, where it stayed for about 75 years.

The "bad" side was facing up and deteriorated quite a bit.

The side that rested in the mud was better preserved.

12-17-2016, 01:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I've been a petrol head most of my adult life, and a bit more, and there's no sound quite as amazing as a vintage straight-eight, supercharged Bugatti under full throttle (though the V16 BRM has to run a close second). Ettore didn't just design his cars to go fast and look beautiful, he made them sound like nothing else before, or since.
They were faster than most competitors and had a lot of style and attention to detail, too :-)