Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Snowcatcher Mark V
Posted By: fwwidall, 12-17-2016, 08:11 AM

Here's the latest version of my snowcatcher for the 2016/17 season.

Mounted on the wooden frame we have a Pentax Auto Bellows with a Pentax Helcoid extension tube attached.

The lens is a El Nikkor 50mm F2.8 enlarging lens.

The camera is my Pentax K5, which I've hooked up via a HDMI cable to a Feelworld FW759 7" monitor which I use with liveview.

The flash is a Yongnuo YN560-IIIn which is triggered wirelessly by a Yongnuo RF-603N attached to the K5. I use the lid off a tin of Maxwell House coffee as a blue diffuser.

I got to try it out last night and here's the first image using this setup. Having a nice large screen in zoomed liveview certainly helped my old eyes to achieve good focus.

Last edited by fwwidall; 12-18-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Views: 882
12-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the Nikon mounted reversed?
12-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It's the Nikon mounted reversed?
Yes it is, although I frankly haven't noticed any discernible difference when I mount it unreversed.
12-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #4

Really nice setup and results! Is the snow directly on the blue lid? I guess you had to separate each snow flake?

12-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperSyx Quote
Really nice setup and results! Is the snow directly on the blue lid? I guess you had to separate each snow flake?
I capture the snow on the glass from an old 8x10 picture frame, and then rest that on the wooden frame underneath the lens. Kind of like a giant microscope slide. I then just move my 'slide' around until I find a crystal worth photographing. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my posting.
12-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great setup and results! Thanks for sharing!
12-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
Snowcatcher Mark V
Thanks for this "how to do it" guide, most ingenious I must say and gives fine results.

12-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I (reluctantly I admit) agree with Kerrowdown. For an English descended person to agree with a Scot on anything but single malt Glenfiddich is sacrilege, of course.
12-18-2016, 05:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The "snowcatcher" just keeps getting better. Really sharp and defined image. Great work as always and "Thanks" for sharing your tips.
12-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Guys.

As I've said many times I much prefer photographing them, to shoveling them. I've been doing this for a few years, but there's something about these incredible structures that still takes my breath away when a beautiful crystal comes into focus. Happily I have a few billion subjects to work with every winter here in southern Ontario. The temperature is heading down to around -10C (14F) by this evening so hopefully I can get out and get some good shots later today.

If you want to investigate the wonderful world of snow check out Kenneth G. Libbrecht's very informative website - everything you could possibly wish to know about Snowflakes and Snow Crystals

I have a couple of hundred snowflake mages on Flickr, if you'd like to check them out - Snowflakes | Flickr

I look forward to seeing your work now you're all inspired to get out and shoot snowflakes. TIP: when your toes start to go numb its time to call it a day, and come in !!

Fred
12-18-2016, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I (reluctantly I admit) agree with Kerrowdown. For an English descended person to agree with a Scot on anything
Wow, that's got to have hurt...