Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

USS Constitution
Posted By: vievetrick, 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM

On our trip to the city we stopped in a visited the USS Constitution - AKA "old Ironside" Official Homepage of USS CONSTITUTION It was interesting and fun to see what life at sea would have been like a few hundred years ago. Anyway here are some of the shots and I have a question for you all.

I like the old bell and the new Bose speakers Here is a question - it was the mid morning and this bell is polished gold or maybe brass so yellow. no matter what I did I come up with the bell looking silver?

Sleeping quarters not so comfy. It was hot down there at around 11am can't image when i if full and at sea.

Those are some big guns. they had kids 8 years old that would bring the gun poweder to the guns during battle.

My favorite shot of the weekend. Not sure why but I really like it. I know it is like the Xmas bulb shots This is the globe surrounding the hole going into the ship below decks. Taken with the 16-45

Oh another question. Anyone here at the same place with me. Thursday morning. I saw not one not two but three Pentax shooters I was surprised and did not say hi to all but one.
Views: 7,359
08-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pat you can actually see some of that in your 3rd picture. The gun ports look to be about a foot thick or more and the 3 layers are clearly visible. Since at the time Nova Scotia oak would have been impossible to build with (being a British colony) in the US, it makes sense the wood all came from the colony states.

Truly a beautiful ship that is worth preserving. Again great series of shots.

08-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Those are some big guns. they had kids 8 years old that would bring the gun poweder to the guns during battle.

Oh another question. Anyone here at the same place with me. Thursday morning. I saw not one not two but three Pentax shooters I was surprised and did not say hi to all but one.
Great series Pat - enjoyed them! That's quite a part of history you're visiting.

BTW, I am having flashbacks seeing this photo: I feel like I'm in my blind in deep south Texas again... looking over the hood of my FA* 300/2.8 into the wide world beyond... I'll try to post in a new thread sometime.

Regards,
Marc
08-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pat great series - love the old ships. The cannons and hammocks are my favs. That bell is well done. Good job looks like a fun time.
08-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
J how did you do that ?
To make the bell brassy looking I carefully traced the outline using 'Lasso Tool' (Photoshop CS2) then enhanced the area to about a -70 on the yellow/blue slider of 'color balance'. Any spots missed were touched up with the cloning tool.

08-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daryl Quote
I've just done a bit of research on this... seems that the guide I was speaking to wasn't entirely accurate... Last time the Constitution was under full sail was in 1997, to mark her 200th birthday.
It actually goes out several times a year.

This was from 2 years ago:

VIPs and special guests are invited on it when it sails. It goes out in the harbor for a couple hours and pulls right back in.

Last edited by alohadave; 08-02-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: fixed picture link.
08-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting these, Pat. I've been aboard Old Ironsides three times - in the late '50's on vacation, in the early '70's when we lived in Watertown (an easy drive to Fenway), and in 1990 - again on vacation.

The ship is a difficult thing to photograph, and you've done a super job. Made my day, man.

Jer
08-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thank you for sharing this, I love sail ships!

08-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

That was a great series of photos. I live close and have not been in over 15 years. The old ships are beautiful
08-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Living below decks in these things would have been hell. But most crews lived a pretty terrible life on land. That's what press gangs were. Round up all the deadbeats and beggars to make a crew.
Let us not give the impression that the United States Navy made use of press gangs to crew its ships. We borrowed a lot of tradition from the Royal Navy, but I believe pressing was not among them.
08-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again all for your kinds words. Alohadave I think it is not sailing for a year or two while under repairs. I could be wrong but that is what I thought I heard and read.

As of October of 2007, USS CONSTITUTION has gone into a restoration period that will last approximately two years.

During the ship's restoration, USS Constitution's 2008 and 2009 underway demonstrations will not be open to the public.

So maybe they will go out but not open to the public during those times like they usually do.
08-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Nice work. I visited the ship quite a few years ago (probably in 1976 when I took my then children on a bunch of bicentennial trips around New England) and was struck by both the beauty of the ship and the low standing room below decks. A visit to any of these ships leaves one with the impression that sailors from those times were either pretty short or had a permanent stoop.
08-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #27
MrA

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick:
...[the USS Constitution]...is the world’s oldest commissioned warship
I'm sorry, but I must dispute this fact.

USS Constitution - launched 1797 - "Ship of State"
HMS Victory - launched 1765 - Flagship of the Commander in Chief, Royal Navy Home Command

Constitution may be the oldest still-commissioned warship which is currently afloat, as Victory is currently in dry dock to preserve her timbers, but is not yet the oldest still in commission.

Last edited by MrA; 08-03-2008 at 10:31 AM.
08-04-2008, 05:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still a little bitter about losing that war Just kidding really I am only joking I just had to say it. I was only reporting what I read on the web site but you have a point. thanks for looking and commenting. and again I was just joking
08-04-2008, 06:07 AM   #29
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Let us not give the impression that the United States Navy made use of press gangs to crew its ships. We borrowed a lot of tradition from the Royal Navy, but I believe pressing was not among them.
True enough Mike and I should have been more clear. That was a Royal Navy practice as well as a few other European countries. I don't think the colonies had much trouble getting crews to fight the "Empire".
08-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
True enough Mike and I should have been more clear. That was a Royal Navy practice as well as a few other European countries. I don't think the colonies had much trouble getting crews to fight the "Empire".
And England stopping American merchant ships at sea and pressing (read: "kidnapping") American sailors was among the grievances which led to the War of 1812.