Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Some birdies and 2 questions
Lens:Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Venice Fl Rookery 
Posted By: dewolf, 12-22-2016, 05:57 PM

I haven't posted in a while and thought I'd share some odds and ends from recently. I was going to post these in the " Birding" section, but I seem to have misplaced where that was at so that is question #1, does anyone know what and where I am talking about .?

Question #2 for you Birders out there. Last year we had 5 Heron pairs and 3-5 Egret pairs nesting by this time of the year, This year we have 2 1/2 Heron pairs,< yes a male mate is missing> and no Egret pairs. and most of the other birds are either missing or in short supply.
What could make them start so late compared to last year ? weather ? cold fronts ? A better job elsewhere ? just curious.

Here's a few pics from recent, though I fear I am almost of of image posting space, I probably post to much..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 980
12-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure about either question.
But these are simply amazing photos.
Keep up the good shooting.
12-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice photos....
Birding group here.
Birding group - PentaxForums.com
12-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It was a mild fall for the most part up here in the north so maybe the birds are a bit later than usual in getting down to you. I live on a major migration route and I know that the main migration was at least a couple of weeks later than usual this year. I was outside yesterday and heard honking, I looked up and three flights of Canada geese passed overhead going south. These could be some of the year round residents as we have a major bird sanctuary just north of us (the oldest bird sanctuary in the world) or they could be late on the migration as it's turned cold and snowy up here now and open water is rapidly freezing over.

Great shots by the way, I envy your warmth.

12-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Not sure about either question.
But these are simply amazing photos.
Keep up the good shooting.
Thanks as long as I can, I will. I love doing this

---------- Post added 12-22-16 at 08:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Nice photos....
Birding group here.
Birding group - PentaxForums.com
Thanks, I see a BIF section there, I might have to posy a few before I run out of image space lol
12-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great stuff!

Makes we want to get a DA*300.
12-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
I haven't posted in a while and thought I'd share some odds and ends from recently. I was going to post these in the " Birding" section, but I seem to have misplaced where that was at so that is question #1, does anyone know what and where I am talking about .?

Question #2 for you Birders out there. Last year we had 5 Heron pairs and 3-5 Egret pairs nesting by this time of the year, This year we have 2 1/2 Heron pairs,< yes a male mate is missing> and no Egret pairs. and most of the other birds are either missing or in short supply.
What could make them start so late compared to last year ? weather ? cold fronts ? A better job elsewhere ? just curious.

Here's a few pics from recent, though I fear I am almost of of image posting space, I probably post to much..
In order of appearance:
  • Northern Mockingbird
  • Tough to say because we can't see the whole bird and because of the colour of the light, but maybe Palm Warbler
  • I'm no herpetologist, but perhaps on of the Cnemidophorus species (racerunners and whiptails)
  • Gray squirrel
  • Great Blue Heron
  • Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
  • Sandhill Crane
  • Little Blue Heron

As to why they are late, there could be many possible reasons, including local weather. Perhaps drought.

12-23-2016, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
In order of appearance:
  • Northern Mockingbird
  • Tough to say because we can't see the whole bird and because of the colour of the light, but maybe Palm Warbler
  • I'm no herpetologist, but perhaps on of the Cnemidophorus species (racerunners and whiptails)
  • Gray squirrel
  • Great Blue Heron
  • Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
  • Sandhill Crane
  • Little Blue Heron

As to why they are late, there could be many possible reasons, including local weather. Perhaps drought.
Thanks for listing the names, Yes that is a Palm Warbler Sometimes its just beyond me to get it all right lol. TTS-STT can be a bitch with attachments. I will have to donate more to get more space, and because this forum is so great. old saying of " getting your ducks in a row" fit the whistlers

---------- Post added 12-23-16 at 03:36 AM ----------

Thanks for listing the names, Yes that is a Palm Warbler Sometimes its just beyond me to get it all right lol. TTS-STT can be a bitch with attachments. I will have to donate more to get more space, and because this forum is so great. old saying of " getting your ducks in a row" fit the whistlers
and the weather here has been perfect alas, somewhere on the rout it is likely not so
12-23-2016, 03:55 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I enjoyed your walk around. TFS

On another note, if you're thinking of upgrading your status you might be interested in the $49 special Adam is running until Christmas:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/334411-holiday-spec...ce-access.html
12-23-2016, 05:03 AM   #10
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I enjoyed your walk around. TFS

On another note, if you're thinking of upgrading your status you might be interested in the $49 special Adam is running until Christmas:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/334411-holiday-spec...ce-access.html
I shall look into it, TFS ?
12-23-2016, 06:19 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

TFS ?
Thanks for Sharing.
12-23-2016, 08:27 AM   #12
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks for Sharing.
OH. OK lol. I am not one of the HIP generation, more the hippie lol
12-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great series. Ducks on the fence made me laugh.
12-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

OH. OK lol. I am not one of the HIP generation, more the hippie lol
Me too, but I learned that here.