Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
first shot with my machine washed FA43 ltd
Lens: fa 43 ltd Camera: k3 
Posted By: wibbly, 12-23-2016, 07:38 PM

so 7 or 8 years ago, my brother in england left his 43ltd in his jacket. his lovely cat decided to use his jacket as a litter box and peed on it. his wife, angry with the cat, grabbed his jacket and threw it in the wash. fa43 and all.

once it came out of the wash, it wouldn't mount to my brother's camera. so he considered it a loss, and just put it aside.

since i'm a little handier than he is, he offered it to me saying maybe i could figure out what was wrong (this was about 6 years later that he bothered to ask, and another 1 or 2 to actually get the lens), i finally got the lens a few weeks ago when my parents returned from a visit to London.

i tried to mount it and realized that the screw holding the aperture stop had backed out, and was fouling the lens mount. i removed the lens mount, and sorted the problem out. at this point i was able to mount the lens on a camera

i put the aperture in auto, focus in afc, and pressed the back button. it focused. holy shit.

took a few pics with it and honestly, they were surprisingly good. but setting the aperture wide open and looking through the lens it was full of soap and junk, so i figured it might still be a toss away.

at this point i decided to send it off to dcshooter for a checkup. he went over it for me and cleaned it all up, there are a few little mineral deposits on the inside of the front element that he said he couldn't sort out, but the rest cleaned up beautifully. i just received it back from him, mounted it on my k3 and it's perfect.

what a gorgeous little lens, and robust enough to get through a whole machine wash cycle.

i think had the lens been CLA'd immediately, it would have been absolutely no worse for wear.

who needs WR anyway? right?!

this little guy is recovering after some pretty major dental work and a few other things. he's not too fond of the cone but thankfully it's only temporary.
Views: 619
12-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good story and as a bonus a good shot.
12-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
first shot with my machine washed FA43 ltd
Totally worth the 8 year wait IMO. Please give your pup a pat, and a scratch behind the ear when he is feeling better.
Seasons greetings to you and yours.
12-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks to be a nice lens and a nice dog too.

12-24-2016, 02:41 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Bit of an extreme testing of Pentax WR I would've thought...

Seems you've might have got a keeper (lens) out of it now.
12-24-2016, 02:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A dog at the dentist, it's a bit tricky getting them to "open wide".
12-24-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I wonder if the washing machine could be good for some old lenses? What detergent and fabric softener did the wife use?

12-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
A dog at the dentist, it's a bit tricky getting them to "open wide".
A full dental cleaning for pets often involves anesthesia. It's an expensive proposition but should be done now and then for those whose diets don't quite keep things scrubbed. I'm about to go through it with my asthmatic cat. Hoping that getting rid of all that plaque and tartar, and its associated bacteria, might help with her other symptoms, though it's unlikely. :-/

12-24-2016, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I wonder if the washing machine could be good for some old lenses? What detergent and fabric softener did the wife use?

one of dcshooters comments to me was that the inside of the lens was remarkably clean. go figure.
12-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic story and a good shot too.