Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Entered at the County Fair!
Posted By: stevebrot, 08-01-2008, 08:56 PM

At the urging of family and friends, I agreed to print a few photos to enter in the photography exhibit at the Clark Country Fair. I was pretty surprised to find the photography entry table bustling with activity and three people busily working to accept the burst of last-minute entries. After I filled out my paperwork, I talked to a fellow that was sticking hangers onto the back of the prints. He told me that the number of entries had skyrocketed from 200 or 300 a few years ago to about 1100 last year. His estimate for this year is 1400 to 1500!

Now, that is a lot of pictures! The judges evaluate all the pictures in one day under controlled lighting and then hand them off to a team of people whose task is to hang them in the exhibit hall (nasty pavilion lighting there). Best of class ribbons are awarded in each category. Second and third place ribbons are then awarded on the basis of the "Danish" system where each photo is judged on its own merit not against the other pictures. As a result there may be many second and third place winners in each of the several categories. The best entry overall receives the "Grand Sweepstakes" award that includes a small cash prize. There are also people's choice awards for the most votes on a given day.

I hung around the registration area long enough to see that the competition was pretty stiff. Digital technology has certainly allowed people to hone their skills to a high level!

The judging was done yesterday, though I don't know yet how well I did. I doubt if I will get one of the best of class ribbons, though I think that my stuff might qualify for a second-place. Here is the selection that I entered (most previously posted here).

In the portrait category:

In the nature category

In the nature category

In the nature category

The first three were taken with my Jupiter-9 85/2 and the last taken with my Auto-Rikenon 50/1.7 (both M-42 manual lenses).

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-01-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Views: 2,067
08-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Post your entries too!

I forgot to add that if anyone else in the forum had entries in their local fair, here might be a good place to post them with some follow-up notes as to how well they did!

Steve
08-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lovely and inviting

There all winners to me IMHO
cheers
08-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, I visited the fair today to see how the judging went. I was mistaken about the judging categories. A pictures are judged by the Danish system as to whether they are First, Second, or Third Premium. Best of Class awards are then determined for each category (one for color and one for B/W). Three additional awards are made, Grand Sweepstakes (best in show), Superintendent's prize (judged best by the events management), and Highest Points Award.

While none of my pictures was called out for the higher awards, I am very pleased to report the following (drum roll please...)

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

In the portrait category: Second Premium (Red Ribbon)

In the nature category: First Premium (Blue Ribbon)

In the nature category: Second Premium (Red Ribbon)

In the nature category: First Premium (Blue Ribbon)

All-in-all, I am very pleased with the results and am looking forward to entering again next year!

Steve