Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Paid Theatre Shoot
Posted By: mel, 08-02-2008, 08:59 AM

This is a selection of images from a paid shoot for local arts center. The event is a play put on during a summer workshop for high school age students. They work for two weeks putting the show together, then have two performances. The pictures I took were for a promotional display and possibly one or two for news release. They may also sell prints of the images to parents. Not sure on that one. If they do, next time I'll ask for more money than what they offered me.

No flash was used. All were taken with the stage lighting during a full-tech rehearsal. The last two shots were posed and taken using a tripod. Some color correcting was done post and bits of cropping and straightening here and there.

The director was thrilled with them so I guess it's all good.

Views: 6,650
08-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent work! The lighting dude did a good job too.
08-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good job. Must have been hard but you did well.
08-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Good stuff, Mel (as usual).

How much cropping did you do on these? Do you have any wide shots?

08-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Excellent work! The lighting dude did a good job too.
Thanks. The lighting guy is pretty good. He does an excellent job teaching the students as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Good job. Must have been hard but you did well.
Thanks! I won't tell you how many shots I took versus how many I kept

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Good stuff, Mel (as usual).

How much cropping did you do on these? Do you have any wide shots?
Wow gee, thanks! I didn't do a whole lot of cropping, mainly just to eliminate things like exit signs that somehow crept into the shot. I was aiming to not make it obvious there is a stage. This one here is about as wide as I went. If I went wider I'd get all the junk and lights above the stage and and the front edge of the stage. It's actually a fairly small stage and theatre.

08-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It looks to me like you had really good light under the circumstances. I shot quite a few photos for my son's drama troup last year and the lighting was really low. I had to shoot iso 1600 wide open and wait for a break in the action to get anything! These look great Mel. Can you share your settings?
08-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
It looks to me like you had really good light under the circumstances. I shot quite a few photos for my son's drama troup last year and the lighting was really low. I had to shoot iso 1600 wide open and wait for a break in the action to get anything! These look great Mel. Can you share your settings?
Thank you!

I shot in SV mode so I could go with the minimum ISO for the light available. I was able to keep it at 560 for most of it. I think I used all three metering modes, depending on the shot, and kept the aperture as open and my lens would allow. It was shoot, chimp, shoot, chimp, shoot, chimp, constantly through the entire thing to make adjustments based on the lighting and angle etc. I had to adjust things on the fly constantly.

And yeah, I had to wait until there wasn't much movement. I couldn't get a shutter fast enough to stop any REAL action, just minimal action.

I think the fact that it was a small stage and I could get right up to the edge helped. I don't know. I think I mostly got lucky.

08-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd say you did great with both the lighting and the composition. That's what I call using your tools very well.
08-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

They are all good but the 3rd and 5th shots are real standouts! well done Mel. Both of those could be promo posters for the play. You did very well. See all that lusting over new lenses was unnecessary!
08-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Lucky!!??? I donnnnnnnnnnnnnn't think so.
Mel you have XLD well done. Took 500 shots kept 20 right - its all in the learning experience. I have no doubt the next time you'll shoot 250 and keep 50.
08-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well done Mel - have a shot a few of my daughters plays while she was in HS so I can relate to how difficult that envrionment can be. Excellent.
08-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Amazing Mel. I just gotta get me some of them cheap lenses Be careful, now that you've got some spending money, if you blow it on fast glass you might give Benjikan a run for his money
08-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Thanks. The lighting guy is pretty good. He does an excellent job teaching the students as well.
I have done a little work in theatre (mostly sound) and can appreciate good lighting. It takes a lot of knowledge and creativity.
08-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
Damn Brit

Hey Mel, neat work. You should be proud of yourself.
Gary
08-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everyone else has said it allready Mel, congrats on a marvelous shoot.

Take care,