Australian Magpie
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: K30 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Cee Cee, 01-01-2017, 06:57 AM

Views: 571
01-01-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice, Cee Cee and quite interesting to me: I'm not sure I've ever seen a photo of a magpie - certainly not one this well done.

Jer
01-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
thank you Jer, nice of you to comment, cheers
01-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As we have plenty of magpies in my area maybe it's time to take off the 105mm Macro and put on the 70-200mm F2.8 to get some shots. Good shot BTW

01-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
As we have plenty of magpies in my area maybe it's time to take off the 105mm Macro and put on the 70-200mm F2.8 to get some shots. Good shot BTW
I feel they are often underrated as a subject because there are so many of them about, but they provide good opportunity to "focus" on the photography skills . For me it's about trying to get the light & background good, as much as it is about the bird itself. Good fun , cheers
01-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

A good bird to practice on, you seem to have plenty of practice, class shot.
01-03-2017, 04:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
A good bird to practice on, you seem to have plenty of practice, class shot.
thank you Aussie Trev, all the Honeyeaters & Wrens seem to have vacated the area since the thunder storm & torrential down pour we had a few days back only the larger birds left. At least the Maggies aren't shy
cheers
01-03-2017, 06:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Is it true what they say about these birds being violent and killing people?

01-03-2017, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote

During nesting season (Spring) they are highly territorial. They will chase and attack people. Cuts and scratches are the main damage. But damage to eyes is a major concern.

I don't think I've ever heard of one killing anyone. Maybe someone on a bike was being attacked and they accidentally went into traffic or something like that?
01-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
as dcBear78 says, they will swoop down on you if you come too close to their nests during breeding season, I've seen this a few times but I've not yet seen contact made, but it does happen, you often see the bike riders around here with 20 -30cm plastic spikes (usually large cable ties) attached to their helmets as a defensive mechanism, sort of like a porcupine. They can be pretty feisty for sure, but I've never heard of anybody being killed, (although maybe infection from a scratch could be nasty). I've photographed many, many birds and never had any issues, although some common sense is needed during breading season. Mostly they will fly away if you get too close like most birds do, but sometimes one will stand its ground, give you the eye, and in its own way say " come on, come closer if you dare" ... great fun.
01-04-2017, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
They also can get very tame particularly if you feed them. A neighbor two doors down from us has a couple living in his backyard and he hand feeds them. He makes them sing for their food like in the clip below. It's very entertaining. They make the most incredible sound, sort of a warbling multi tone call.

01-04-2017, 05:10 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Their morning song is so beautiful. They're semi-intelligent and remember individual humans for deeds good and bad. I like them even though I'm a cyclist.

For our Northern Hemisphere friends, 'magpie' is a misnomer, they're actually butcher birds.

01-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Cairns Tropical Zoo has trained a magpie they use in their show, very entertaining. As they say, it only took one go to train the magpie to do something that we can't get some people to ever do, put rubbish in the bin.
01-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A favourite of mine too as my avatar demonstrates. I have had a mixed relationship with them though. One knocked me off my bicycle once a few years ago.

---------- Post added 05-01-17 at 08:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
During nesting season (Spring) they are highly territorial. They will chase and attack people. Cuts and scratches are the main damage. But damage to eyes is a major concern.

I don't think I've ever heard of one killing anyone. Maybe someone on a bike was being attacked and they accidentally went into traffic or something like that?
A few years ago one did attack me while riding and I came off the bike at speed. No permanent injuries injuries but around the same time another unfortunate fellow was killed in similar circumstances.
01-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
A favourite of mine too as my avatar demonstrates. I have had a mixed relationship with them though. One knocked me off my bicycle once a few years ago.

---------- Post added 05-01-17 at 08:53 AM ----------

A few years ago one did attack me while riding and I came off the bike at speed. No permanent injuries injuries but around the same time another unfortunate fellow was killed in similar circumstances.
I'd not heard of that Bruce, I suppose coming of your bike at high speed for any reason is fraught with danger, that's rather tragic.

on a lighter note, when I used to play cricket back in the day, the maggies had nests in the trees near the boundary at backward square leg or mid off, depending on which end we were batting at, we always knew there was an extra run or two out there while the fielder "negotiated" with the magpies. When we were fielding, any one out there usually called for a helmet.

Last edited by Cee Cee; 01-04-2017 at 04:21 PM.