Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Walking home from the gym.
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Whitney, Ontario, Canada ISO: 100 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: normhead, 01-08-2017, 07:20 PM

We were out in the cold today, walking to the gym and back. You won't find it, but we know where it is.

Little house on the river.

Looking towards the sun.

Heading down our street.

One of our half mile away neighbour's kids.

Views: 929
01-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing! Looks like a perfect winter day.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice! Why do I suspect that "the gym" is nice brisk walk to the top of the hill on the right side of the first photo?

Add in a couple of squats to get some macro pictures of a forest floor scene and you'll have the perfect natural workout.
01-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Nice! Why do I suspect that "the gym" is nice brisk walk to the top of the hill on the right side of the first photo?

Add in a couple of squats to get some macro pictures of a forest floor scene and you'll have the perfect natural workout.
The gym on relatively flat land and is across the river and the highway, but being a small town, on our gym walk we go tot he post office, the liquor store, the grocery store, the pharmacy if necessary. Tess does walk at least 5-7 km a day with the border collies. I find after my hip surgery, there is both destructive and constructive exercise. The elliptical at the gym builds up my ACL challenged knee. walking in the bush tends to de-stabilize it. Too much slipping and sliding and really stresses the stabilizers, the adductors and abductors. You have to do both to keep things working.

01-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best places are those we know and which others can't easily find on some guide, Norm. Love spots like this. Good luck recovering from the hip surgery. Have you tried a stationary bike? With luck you'll be back on form for canoeing.
01-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
The best places are those we know and which others can't easily find on some guide, Norm. Love spots like this. Good luck recovering from the hip surgery. Have you tried a stationary bike? With luck you'll be back on form for canoeing.
I spend three hours a week on an elliptical trainer which tells me I burn 2100 calories a week. I'm still tearing up scar tissue every session, but from what I can tell, that's what you have to do. The big things for now is upper body work. I have to get started with the weights.
01-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The gym on relatively flat land and is across the river and the highway, but being a small town, on our gym walk we go tot he post office, the liquor store, the grocery store, the pharmacy if necessary. Tess does walk at least 5-7 km a day with the border collies. I find after my hip surgery, there is both destructive and constructive exercise. The elliptical at the gym builds up my ACL challenged knee. walking in the bush tends to de-stabilize it. Too much slipping and sliding and really stresses the stabilizers, the adductors and abductors. You have to do both to keep things working.
Sounds like a sensible regimen -- pushing just enough to rebuild range of motion and strength.

I find the human body to be quite frustrating in the ambiguity of pain. What pains signal one's going to gain and what pains signal one should refrain???? But as long as you are moving and getting to take your excellent pictures, you must be doing something right.

Best wishes for a continued recovery!

01-19-2017, 06:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The lack of knowledge around pain management is simply astounding, way behind the technology. In the last 40 years with the cut back on government research and research expected to be done by for profit corporations, if there is no pill at the end to make drug companies billions, research doesn't get done. After two years of fighting crippling pain, my two drugs of choice, Ibuprophen, sometimes over the counter Tylenol with Codeine. All those expensive drugs, are worth very little, and most of them aren't at all potent after about three days use. All the drug company investment can't developed product, better than marijuana and heroine, both natural products that have been around for centuries. I see the lack of success in helping people with pain as one of the great failures of modern science. Throw in acupuncture and at least from my perspective, modern science contributed Ibuprofen and Tylenol. Iuprophen is a wonderful front line drug managed properly, But to remain effective you can't take more than 50 a month, less than two a day and you need 5 or 6 days a month where you on't are it at all. SO from my perspective, 3/4s of my pain management protocol is traditional, and has been known for thousands of years. Modern science has accomplished very little.

The problem is the drug companies aren't in it to help people per se, they are in it for profit. If there are pain regimens that involve acupuncture, physiotherapy or other non-drug related treatment, we'll never know. No one can get funding to research them.