Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sick Toy
Lens: DFA 100/2.8 Camera: K-1 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-11-2017, 04:58 PM

When I was a boy in the '50s, when I would contract a "significant" disease (e.g. measles), my Dad would bring me a Sick Toy! My wife and I continued this practice with our daughters. So when I was recovering from invasive hernia surgery a couple of weeks before Christmas, my younger daughter (now a college professor living in New England) "Amazoned" me sick toy ---- a remote control model of a Le Ferrari.

This afternoon, I noticed that late-day sunlight was illuminating the front of my Le Ferrari, and I quickly grabbed this pic of the front of the car (well . . . . . model car), which - one can easily see - I neglected to dust. Best Sick Toy I ever got!!

Jer

Views: 994
01-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For a model they got great detail for that realistic look.
01-11-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Closed Account

WOW !!. " Enzo " would be very pleased with this image Jer. Great story behind it too.
01-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #4

Always like when Sailor post photo

01-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Lovely shot and thoughtful gift.

When I was a young lad, ill and on my sick bed, my parents used to do the same thing for me. Except rather than get me a toy, it was always a book. I've always been a 'book worm' .

When I was a wee nipper, it would be books such as the Bobbsey Twins. I loved their adventures.

As I got a bit older... it would be classics, such as Treasure Island, White Fang, Tom Brown's Schooldays, Kidnapped which I still have. As a young teenager it was Road & Track (Henry N. Manney a favourite), Sports Car Graphic, etc.

I think sometimes back then, I actually looked forward to being sick...for a bit.

Les
01-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
For a model they got great detail for that realistic look.
They did, indeed, EM, and some of that detail which the K-1 captures so brilliantly is lost when I upload stuff to Photobucket for posting. The original shot on my Mac's screen is unbelievable realistic.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
WOW !!. " Enzo " would be very pleased with this image Jer. Great story behind it too.
Thanks, buddy! It's would sure be fun to drive the real thing, but speeding this guy around the driveway is exciting too.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by coa75 Quote
Always like when Sailor post photo
You are very kind - thanks much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Lovely shot and thoughtful gift . . . . . . . . . I think sometimes back then, I actually looked forward to being sick...for a bit.

Les
Thanks, Les, for looking. I've also been a voracious reader; I typically go through 3 or 4 books a month, and read much the same kind of magazines you mention.

When I had the measles, I suffered through a very touch case - I was very sick, sick enough that I still remember the time vividly. I also remember my Dad bringing home some Dinky Toys: a complete set of a British Army antiaircraft unit, including tracked troop carrier, the gun itself, a couple of trucks and some tiny soldiers. I still have it.

Jer
01-13-2017, 07:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the heartwarming story and the fun picture, well executed.

01-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

Thanks, Les, for looking. I've also been a voracious reader; I typically go through 3 or 4 books a month, and read much the same kind of magazines you mention.

When I had the measles, I suffered through a very touch case - I was very sick, sick enough that I still remember the time vividly. I also remember my Dad bringing home some Dinky Toys: a complete set of a British Army antiaircraft unit, including tracked troop carrier, the gun itself, a couple of trucks and some tiny soldiers. I still have it.

Jer
I'm glad you recovered. Sometimes those diseases we get when children, can be very tough on us.

When you mentioned Dinky Toys, it triggered pleasant memories. I had a nice collection of Dinky and Lesney toys back in the '50's. Perhaps my favourite toy was a garage station that my father made for me, back in the 1950's. It was modeled after a '40's ESSO garage station, had two gas pumps and a second story parking lot, with a built in ramp alongside the garage. It also had one service area with a movable vehicle garage door and a glassed in (plexiglas) show room with two 1/18th scale (relying on memory) Hudson Hornets displayed on the show room floor. I had a lot of fun and have wonderful memories from these toy vehicles and the garage.

Your a lucky man, in that you still have your toys from your childhood. We have saved and packed away our daughter and son's childhood toys. I know there will be a time when they will want them.

Les
01-14-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Thanks for the heartwarming story and the fun picture, well executed.
Thanks very much!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm glad you recovered. Sometimes those diseases we get when children, can be very tough on us.

When you mentioned Dinky Toys, it triggered pleasant memories. I had a nice collection of Dinky and Lesney toys back in the '50's. Perhaps my favourite toy was a garage station that my father made for me, back in the 1950's. It was modeled after a '40's ESSO garage station, had two gas pumps and a second story parking lot, with a built in ramp alongside the garage. It also had one service area with a movable vehicle garage door and a glassed in (plexiglas) show room with two 1/18th scale (relying on memory) Hudson Hornets displayed on the show room floor. I had a lot of fun and have wonderful memories from these toy vehicles and the garage.

Your a lucky man, in that you still have your toys from your childhood. We have saved and packed away our daughter and son's childhood toys. I know there will be a time when they will want them.

Les
Thanks for the story, my friend. You and I seem to have had parallel pasts!

I am, indeed, glad I've kept a few of my old toys. My problem is that I continue to buy toys - and toys for 70-year-olds with lots of hobbies can be expensive!

Jer