Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
A Hunting Hawk in Sky
Lens: DA560 and 1.4TC Camera: K3-II Photo Location: Sauvie Island, Portland, OR ISO: 500 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: Kath, 01-14-2017, 06:22 PM

BIF at 784mm, heavily cropped. The 560 and 1.4 TC played much better together than I expected.

Last edited by Kath; 01-15-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Views: 1,136
01-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A nice shot.
01-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice shot.
01-14-2017, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice action shot !
I thought this could have been a northern harrier - female ?

01-15-2017, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Nice action shot !
I thought this could have been a northern harrier - female ?
You know, you could very well be right. I had this shot in a mix with a group of red tailed hawks and I assumed it was the same bird. But, on second look, I see I used a different lens on a different day. Checking the Audubon Guide, I think this one does look more like a harrier. Thanks for noticing that!

---------- Post added 01-15-17 at 01:56 AM ----------

@eaglem @C-Jones , Thank you!
01-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
You know, you could very well be right. I had this shot in a mix with a group of red tailed hawks and I assumed it was the same bird. But, on second look, I see I used a different lens on a different day. Checking the Audubon Guide, I think this one does look more like a harrier. Thanks for noticing that!

---------- Post added 01-15-17 at 01:56 AM ----------

@eaglem @C-Jones , Thank you!
A harrier and a great shot !
01-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice shot Kath. I see you picked up a TC for the 560, it's just never enough reach you always want more don't ya.

01-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Nice shot Kath. I see you picked up a TC for the 560, it's just never enough reach you always want more don't ya.
Hi Kilo! We haven't talked in a while. Thanks!

Funny thing, I had the 1.4 TC long before I got the 560. I used it on the Sig and the 300, and anything else just for kicks. But, it really does well on the 560, if you can find your bird in the viewfinder LOL!

How've you been liking the 560? And, yep, you're right, the reach is never long enough!
01-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Love it! It's pretty much permanently on the K1. I did have a day in November when I wished I had the 600/F4 when the light wasn't great but that's it.

I see B&H has two used ones right now for more than what I paid for mine brand new, so that feels real good.
01-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great photo Kath!

I imagine it's hard to locate the bird with that combo?
01-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Love it! It's pretty much permanently on the K1. I did have a day in November when I wished I had the 600/F4 when the light wasn't great but that's it.

I see B&H has two used ones right now for more than what I paid for mine brand new, so that feels real good.
Well, that's always great! Sounds like you like the 560/K1 combination. i haven't gone that direction yet... so far, not willing to give up the small fps or reach advantage. Not a problem for you?

---------- Post added 01-16-17 at 01:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Great photo Kath!

I imagine it's hard to locate the bird with that combo?
Hi Bert! Yes, it is! But everything's relative... it's nowhere near as hard as when I put the Q on it LOL!
01-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The fps is not a issue at all, I've been able to get eagles and ospreys diving in grabbing fish and flying away. I only once had it lock up while buffering and that was with a osprey struggling to lift a big fish out of the water, it took it about twenty yards to finally get it up and I had a ton of shots.

The reach I thought would be a problem but I think with the higher megapixels and larger sensor when I crop in post processing they come out better than what I would've been able to get with my k3.

I would love to try it with the q, not sure I could find a eagle in flight but for when they are sitting on the other side of the river that reach would be great.
01-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot Kath.

A question if I may ask. Is that the Pentax 1.4 TC or other brand? Also, I've read some reviews or comments that thru the viewfinder autofocus with the 560 and a tc is 'unreliable' (or something like that). Any comments on this?
01-18-2017, 05:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The fps is not a issue at all, I've been able to get eagles and ospreys diving in grabbing fish and flying away. I only once had it lock up while buffering and that was with a osprey struggling to lift a big fish out of the water, it took it about twenty yards to finally get it up and I had a ton of shots.

The reach I thought would be a problem but I think with the higher megapixels and larger sensor when I crop in post processing they come out better than what I would've been able to get with my k3.

I would love to try it with the q, not sure I could find a eagle in flight but for when they are sitting on the other side of the river that reach would be great.
I'm inspired to take the Q with me next week and see what I can find!

Good stuff to know about the K1 and glad you're enjoying it. Maybe down the road for me...

---------- Post added 01-18-17 at 04:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tomel Quote
Nice shot Kath.

A question if I may ask. Is that the Pentax 1.4 TC or other brand? Also, I've read some reviews or comments that thru the viewfinder autofocus with the 560 and a tc is 'unreliable' (or something like that). Any comments on this?
Hi! Thank you. It's the Pentax 1.4 TC. I'm not sure about "unreliable". It seems to work just fine. The bigger problem is getting and staying on your target with so much magnification. But for static subjects, it's a breeze.