Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Timeless
Lens: 100 2.8 macro WR Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Melbourne 
Posted By: Unregistered User 8, 01-18-2017, 07:41 PM

I found my dad's old " fob " watch in a box I was going through. Could not resist taking a photograph as they don't make them like this anymore.
Thanks for having a look.

Views: 959
01-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A beautiful pocket watch. With a family history. Well taken. Good job!
01-19-2017, 12:47 AM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
A beautiful pocket watch. With a family history. Well taken. Good job!
Thanks DW. Much appreciated. I quickly set up a couple of halogen desk lamps ( to get some shadows on the inlaid body ) and snapped a few shots. I left the image " warm " as if under candles. Seemed to suit the age of the watch more too. Had to angle the camera so that the lights were not reflected in the glass face, hence the strange DOF. Might do it again when I have more time to do it properly.
01-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that's cool - both picture and watch. Here is a timepiece that operates mechanically on Newton's Laws rather than the "motions" of electrons dancing around to the tune of quantum mechanics. BTW, this isn't an ideological observation; I have an Apple watch.

Nice shot, buddy.

Jer

01-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Now that's cool - both picture and watch. Here is a timepiece that operates mechanically on Newton's Laws rather than the "motions" of electrons dancing around to the tune of quantum mechanics. BTW, this isn't an ideological observation; I have an Apple watch.

Nice shot, buddy.

Jer
Thank you for the very kind words mate. Watch and clock making used to be such an artful and innovative career.
As a kid ( many moons ago now !! ) I used to enjoy just observing the moving parts.
01-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice time piece and photo, my father had a fob watch as that is what they took down the mine, it looked a bit more worn from coal and dust.
01-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #7
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Very nice time piece and photo, my father had a fob watch as that is what they took down the mine, it looked a bit more worn from coal and dust.
Thanks mate, much appreciated. These old timepieces are a marvel to me - functional and attractive.

01-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is truly a wonderful photograph of an awesome timepiece. It does say, "Swiss Made.". I would like to know who the manufacturer is. The engraving work indicates it could be a Patek-Phillipe, but could not say for sure. What do the letters R.A.S.F. mean? Again, well executed. TFS.

Tony
01-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
This is truly a wonderful photograph of an awesome timepiece.
Thanks Tony, much appreciated.
It does say, "Swiss Made.". I would like to know who the manufacturer is. The engraving work indicates it could be a Patek-Phillipe, but could not say for sure.
As there is no makers mark on the face, this implies to me that it is a " cheaper " watch for its day. Even the cheap ones were beautifully made.
What do the letters R.A.S.F. mean?
These letters refer to the type of mechanical movement adjustments the watch has. RA ( retard/advance ) and SF ( slower/faster ).
01-29-2017, 05:47 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Very beautiful pjv. My father was a collector of old gold and silver watches. The special one which him self bore was missing when we split the legacy.
01-29-2017, 09:15 PM   #11
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Very beautiful pjv. My father was a collector of old gold and silver watches. The special one which him self bore was missing when we split the legacy.
Thank you very much for the kind comment mate. Very sorry to hear that your fathers watch went missing, that is a shame.