Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
The Sleeping Giant ("Nanibijou" OjiCree Folklore) Thunder Bay Harbour
Lens: see exif 
Posted By: honey bo bo, 01-20-2017, 09:50 AM

Middle of North America Thousands of Kilometers from the Atlantic & Pacific Oceans but Hundreds of Large Ships come through the St Lawrence Seaway to load & unload.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 10-08-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Views: 1,341
01-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot on the Sleeping Giant!

I have shots of this from a time in my life when I thought I needed to experience lots of snow and high winds.
01-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote

I have shots of this from a time in my life when I thought I needed to experience lots of snow and high winds.

Thank you ! Don't forget the Cold. Good crop of Frosted windows this Month.
01-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote

Looks like the Algolake saw some freezing spray on her way to Thunder Bay

01-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Algolake

She was the last one to tie up for the Winter. Came across beginning of January -28*C Lucky she's not inside an Ice Cube.
Speaking of which the Skipper's Eyes must have been Frozen Shut ( I presume you know the North Gap and the entrance to The Ship Yards, Old UGG Elevator & Richardson's) or maybe he was Texting when he came through the North Gap. At any rate he was supposed to make a Hard Starbboard into the Ship Yards but made a soft to Port to the other side of UGG before he slammed on the Breaks ! He got it stopped before he beached it and it took him about 3 hours & 2 Tugs to get the Pointy End going towards the Ship Yards where that first Pic is from.. He might need a new Bow Thruster because there is more chipped Ice in the Habour than the Bars here will ever use in a lifetime. Some photos to evidence the scene. That's the end of UGG Elevator in the Pics

PS the Ship Yards is going back into business after going Bankrupt a few years ago. Bought by Heddle Marine and a local outfit Fabmar Indust.

01-22-2017, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even though I'm an engineer I do know even very experienced captains can have all kinds of trouble maneuvering in ice, especially with that ship, and sometimes the captain has no choice in the matter. The ice just won't let you go where you want to go and turns the simplest docking maneuvers into a nightmare. Plus the ship's round bow would do a better job of pushing and rafting the ice into an unmovable wall between the ship and the dock and shore line than it does breaking it. So I can only assume that the Captain was trying to turn the ship so he could use the prop to break and wash the ice away from the dock.

Yes I heard Heddle out of Hamilton bought the yard but I didn't know that Fabmar was involved. It's good to see the yard open again even though it isn't fun freezing your butt off in the over the winter in the drydock like I did a few more times than I care to remember. You would not believe how much colder a ship can be when it is sitting in an empty drydock that it is sitting in the water surrounded by ice. I'm shivering and reaching for the thermostat just thinking about it BURR!!!!!

Here are some Pic's I took from the Algoway in the Spring of 2007 when we were at the head of the Dock The Algowood was behind, the Algosoo was in the Drydock and moving day the Algosoo was moved out of the drydock and the Algowood was put in.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 01-22-2017 at 06:02 AM.
01-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice photos and a reminder of when the Ship Yards was a busy Place. I did accounting work for Paul Lecuyer that owns the Red Tugs and the family that owns the white Tugs Daughter lives 2 doors down. Paul just bought and started using a new Tug ( the first new/used one in about 100years) he purchased last fall. The Ship Yards first job was doing Dry Dock 5 year hull inspections which were overdue for the Tugs.