Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

VLF Photos: K20D + FA* 300/2.8 @ ISO 800, 1250 (larger files - ~ 1MB)
Posted By: Marc Langille, 08-04-2008, 07:25 PM

Straight conversions from RAW with default ACR settings. Nothing else done. Per VLF rules, no cropping.

Greater Roadrunner (female) - this shot is nowhere near the closest I got to them. I was in my SUV at the time! Taken at F/7.1, 1/3200 sec., ISO 1250, AV Mode, EV -0.7:

Collared Dove - taken at F/6.3, 1/4000 sec., ISO 1250, AV mode, EV -1:

Bewick's Wren (part of a nesting pair) - this is a VERY small bird! They had a small nest in a Mesquite tree just 5 feet from the porch of the cabin. Taken at F/4.5, 1/125 sec., ISO 800, EV -0.67:

For more images, rules and conditions of the competition, please see this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/33467-random-set-images-...irst-post.html

I believe at least one or two of these images also had the Tamron 1.4X Pz-AF TC used. I was impressed with the image quality, given the underexposures (to boost shutter speed), and the ISO speed used. I hope you enjoy them!

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 08-10-2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Correction on Dove species - it's a Collared Dove
Views: 5,366
08-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Love the wren Marc. Good Luck.
Gary
Thanks Gary - they are very tough to photograph, given their small size (not to mention the speed of their movements)...

Thanks again and I'll keep folks posted.

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
All great

I like the dove the most

It goes to show that people do have a different preference or view of images at times, ....which is great isn't it?

Neil
Thanks Neil, and I agree: something about that Mourning Dove pair really caught my eye - I suspect it's the combination of clarity, movement and colors?

Of course, these are but the captures of the split second in time. It's those memories of watching them that's so hard to describe, yet have so much meaning to me - the interactions, etc.!

Cheers,
Marc

08-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
Thanks for posting those great images.

Images from Fa 300 f2.8 seems rare. Great shots marc.

marcus
Thanks for looking and commenting Marcus...

Well, not so rare any more - I took over 4,000 shots with the K20D while down there, and I've got more than just a couple of keepers! I'll post as time permits, and do a couple of head crops for reference.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

Regards,
Marc
08-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Marc,
Great series of photos! The last photo you posted of the roadrunner is really neat. Thats what a snake or lizard sees at the last moment! Did they ever get the voting started after the hurricane? Hope you did well.
Thanks Kent...

That last shot of the male, he was only 20 feet from the SUV... so 500mm goes a loooong way to reach out and see them!!

Voting is completed, images are being sent to print next week. I just confirmed today that the book comes out next year, so I suspect it's because they want to keep the current book sales running until then. The awards ceremony is on Sept. 20th in McAllen, TX. Unfortunately I won't know much until then... need to figure out if it's worth my while to attend....

Regards,
Marc
08-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Absolutely stunning shots, seeing images like these would be enough to make me hang up my gear in disgust if I weren't having so much fun trying and learning. Instead they make me want to learn more... Keep em coming!

Scott, a very sincere thank you! You honor me with those kind words, and please do not give up! Explanation below...

Just remember I got to this point via old school: lots of practice, reading, testing and more practice. I've only been shooting seriously since 2006, and taken many months off during that time period. Perhaps a year and a few months...

Did I mention practice and learning from my mistakes?

Regards,
Marc

08-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
This is a male: taken with the Canon 40D + Sigma 500/4.5 ...

Up close and personal - taken at F/7.1, 1/1000 sec., ISO 800, EV -0.3:

Sune: I cannot post that image right now, since I must be out the door shortly, and it's in RAW format only. Gotta get ready to go!
Ok another time.
The one you show here is such a funny picture. Looks like you caught this roadrunner off guard. Great expression.

I wonder if one of the next tele primes to be announced by Pentax, would be a DA* 400/4, instead of the older FA* 600/4.

Was the Sigma a good lens to balance and work with ? 500/4.5 is a sweet combination too
08-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
here's the lovely lady you asked for...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Ok another time.
The one you show here is such a funny picture. Looks like you caught this roadrunner off guard. Great expression.

I wonder if one of the next tele primes to be announced by Pentax, would be a DA* 400/4, instead of the older FA* 600/4.

Was the Sigma a good lens to balance and work with ? 500/4.5 is a sweet combination too
Thanks Sune! It's been submitted to the Fall Fair Competition, plus 2 other images that I've not yet put up anywhere. He was calling for the female...

Probably you are correct.

The Sigma is a truly fine lens. I just wish I had IS/OS/VR in the combination, but I learned to work around it's limitations. That's why you'll not see me comment very often on any camera system (except the comparison between the K20D and the 40D).

I believe the tools must be able to do the job - if not, I'll look for a solution. Too many people are caught up in the gear, while I simply want to learn it's strengths and weaknesses, so I can hopefully improve myself through that learning curve. As you know, I care first and foremost about the image. If the gear makes it easier, then I'm all ears...

Here's the lovely lady in full stride - panning shot - taken at F/7.1, 1/3200 sec, ISO 1250, EV -0.7... I cropped a bit of the left out, to better balance the composition:

Regards,
Marc
08-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Thanks Sune! It's been submitted to the Fall Fair Competition, plus 2 other images that I've not yet put up anywhere. He was calling for the female...

Probably you are correct.

The Sigma is a truly fine lens. I just wish I had IS/OS/VR in the combination, but I learned to work around it's limitations. That's why you'll not see me comment very often on any camera system (except the comparison between the K20D and the 40D).

I believe the tools must be able to do the job - if not, I'll look for a solution. Too many people are caught up in the gear, while I simply want to learn it's strengths and weaknesses, so I can hopefully improve myself through that learning curve. As you know, I care first and foremost about the image. If the gear makes it easier, then I'm all ears...

Here's the lovely lady in full stride - panning shot - taken at F/7.1, 1/3200 sec, ISO 1250, EV -0.7... I cropped a bit of the left out, to better balance the composition:

Regards,
Marc
It is a great shot, and tack sharp. I see your point, how you would like it to have more room, to run into.
I simply thought that you had caught it, running from right to left, and that was holding you back posting. (I’m sure Japanese viewers would prefer those shots )

It sure is a remarkable shot, impressive that you were able to catch it, knowing how it would not be allowed for you to do much cropping.

Did you have the camera on tripod, with pan-head ?
(In Pentax mount, the Sigma would have SR )

Good to hear, from the DPr thread, how you have not been intimidated by the photographs from the Pro Tour event.

08-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is a great shot, and tack sharp. I see your point, how you would like it to have more room, to run into.
I simply thought that you had caught it, running from right to left, and that was holding you back posting. (I’m sure Japanese viewers would prefer those shots )

It sure is a remarkable shot, impressive that you were able to catch it, knowing how it would not be allowed for you to do much cropping.

Did you have the camera on tripod, with pan-head ?
(In Pentax mount, the Sigma would have SR )
Appreciate it Sune! Thanks for looking and enjoying. It's probably one of the few I ever managed to not chop off a part of the bird...

I was shooting on my Kirk Fat Bean Bag, setup on the edge of the window of the SUV... not an ideal shooting position!!! In fact, it probably was the worst kind of position to be in... somewhat compromising...

Good to hear, from the DPr thread, how you have not been intimidated by the photographs from the Pro Tour event.
Don't get me wrong - there are some amazing photographs by him and others! There are some images I don't think I'd put on my site, that's all I am saying...

The Chairman of the Board did state "I think you'll give some of the pros a run for their money" had I gone to the ICF ProTour, but could not due to the timing/schedule.

Regards,
Marc
08-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What excellent shots Marc. Each one. I had to look up the "Greater Road runner" and the site I found (by some biologist) says that it can reach speeds of 30 Kms/hr. That's fast and a testament to the excellent shots you got. Impressive.

Btw. the site says they don't go 'beep beep! That true?
08-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
believe the tools must be able to do the job - if not, I'll look for a solution. Too many people are caught up in the gear, while I simply want to learn it's strengths and weaknesses, so I can hopefully improve myself through that learning curve. As you know, I care first and foremost about the image. If the gear makes it easier, then I'm all ears
Great statement Marc... Like you I believe a good shot has way more to do with the back side of the cmaera then the camera itself. Like anything else you want to get good at you learn for others and by your mishaps and re-tries.. Again, great series, as usual. JIMBO
08-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
What excellent shots Marc. Each one. I had to look up the "Greater Road runner" and the site I found (by some biologist) says that it can reach speeds of 30 Kms/hr. That's fast and a testament to the excellent shots you got. Impressive.

Btw. the site says they don't go 'beep beep! That true?
Thanks Peter!

Yes, they are fast, and as I indicated to Sune, it was not using a tripod... Just a Kirk Fat Bean Bag on the edge of the SUV window... not ideal!!! Makes it even more satisfying that I got that one in mid-stride...

EDIT: oops, missed the last question - answer is here: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/audio/Greater_Roadrunner.html . They make cooing sounds, and also clack their bill to making "brrr, brrr, brrr" or whirring type sound, and you would trill the sound.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 08-10-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: answer Peter's question
08-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Thanks for pointing me back to these. Marc. Great shots!!! I love that one were he is looking at you.
08-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are welcome Pat! Glad you enjoyed the series...

Regards,
Marc