Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My latest K10 image
Posted By: davemdsn, 02-16-2007, 02:28 PM

I shot this last night while watching American Chopper on TLC. I used a 540fgz on a stand and pointed at a wall very close to the drum. It was fired via the on board flash in controller mode. The camera and the flash were in manual. Settings were: ISO 100, 1/100 @ f8, flash @ 1/4 power. The lens was a personal fave, the FA* 85mm f1.4.

Attached Images

Views: 1,561
02-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice! I like how you got the detail of the wood grain, and the metal lugs holding the rims. in place.
02-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #3

A nice intimate shot of a finely finished snare(?) I like how the word Hoops is cut off below but shows up in the top part of the composition. The metal and wood are well rendered.

I think I may have commented on a photograph you posted sometime ago of a signature series snare.

Nikhil
02-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nixarma Quote
A nice intimate shot of a finely finished snare(?) I like how the word Hoops is cut off below but shows up in the top part of the composition. The metal and wood are well rendered.

I think I may have commented on a photograph you posted sometime ago of a signature series snare.

Nikhil
Nikhil, it looks like a tom to me because it was tilted and pretty tall. Unless it may have been a marching snare (but the lugs are too close?)

02-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Very nice! I like how you got the detail of the wood grain, and the metal lugs holding the rims. in place.
Thanks. It is cherry wood with a narural finish and just begged to be photographed. It was a little tough to balance the wood and metal since the chrome is so reflective. In the end I was very happy.
02-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nixarma Quote

Nikhil
Thanks for the comment. I did to a photo of my other Black Panther, a limited edition steel sheel with tribal etching. I need to redo the other drum, I like this photo better. They both sound great, which is important.
02-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Nikhil, it looks like a tom to me because it was tilted and pretty tall. Unless it may have been a marching snare (but the lugs are too close?)
It is a bit of a weird drum. It is a snare with fairly rare dimentions - 7 inches deep, but only 12 inches diameter. Good call on the depth.

I only have one drum kit but several snare drums. It's a bit of a sickness, kind of a drum version of LBA. I have a marching snare 12"deep, 14"diameter; a piccolo 4" by 13"; a snare that matches my kit 6.5" by 14"; this snare 7" by 12"; and my limited which is 5.5" by 14".

02-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very good job with tough choices. I think the chrome came off very well and contrasts nicely with the wood grain. Very polished shot.
02-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #9

Dave and Alvin, thanks for the info!

Dave, do you ever use two or more of your snare collection when you're performing?

Also, was the flash in front of the drum (i.e. closer to the viewer) but firing in the opposite direction?

A drummer friend (his style is death metal with some very technical jazz influences) wants me to take a few photographs next weekend of his drum set and also him playing. Since the shoot will be in his garage I will have some control of the lighting. I will be taking my 360 and 540 and wireless triggers.

Your suggestions for the shoot would be greatly appreciated!
02-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

great shot!

the subject is interesting but the lighting really makes the shot.

thanks for sharing it with us,

cheers

randy
02-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
It is a bit of a weird drum. It is a snare with fairly rare dimentions - 7 inches deep, but only 12 inches diameter. Good call on the depth.

I only have one drum kit but several snare drums. It's a bit of a sickness, kind of a drum version of LBA. I have a marching snare 12"deep, 14"diameter; a piccolo 4" by 13"; a snare that matches my kit 6.5" by 14"; this snare 7" by 12"; and my limited which is 5.5" by 14".
That is a weird snare! Because of the dimensions, I bet it sounds quite different with the head being small, but the drum itself being taller. I'm guessing if you got it set up right, the pitch would be slightly higher than your kit, but the sound would be a little less staccatto? How often have you used it?

Gosh, I'm rambling off to music land and we're in a camera forum LOL. More pics!
02-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Clarence and Randy, thanks for the kind comments. Always nice to hear.

Alvin, I use it quite a bit as an accent snare set up to the left of my hats. It does have a unique sound being such an odd size. The cherry wood really warms it up too so it almost has to be heard to appreciate.

Nixarma, as mentioned above, I do use two at a time fairly often. Depends on the gig. Usually one of the 14" in the normal position and one of the smaller ones to the side. The marching snare got used a lot when I was in a metal band but it doesn't come out to play much lately.

As far as shooting drums, I far prefer the light as soft as possible. Having two flashes I would try shooting one softened (bounced, umbrella, etc) at about 45 to 90 degrees from the camera, depending on how dramatic you want it, and one unaltered flash behind your friend for a rim light. I am finding that I prefer soft, directional light for drums (and other things for that matter). That means diffused but coming from the side. It keeps the chrome from popping too much while adding depth to the shot.
02-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very well done. I love images of instruments, and yours is an especially good one. I still look at all the sax ads when my monthly issue of DownBeat arrives - even though I haven't pulled out my tenor in years.

Jerry
02-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Great shot.