Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Photographs from a great Jazz Gig
Posted By: Nixarma, 02-16-2007, 03:04 PM

These photographs were taken at a jazz concert in San Diego, featuring Eleonor England, a much-acclaimed vocalist who plays with some of the best jazz instrumentalists in the country. She is also a greatly in-demand vocal coach teaching in San Diego, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

1. Eleonor England: Phenomenally talented, extremely beautiful and a genuinely delightful soul! I like this photograph even though it is slightly soft (shot at 1/20s, f/2) because it is really representative of her personality and energy on-stage.

2. Shep Meyers: Shep is a virtuoso jazz pianist who has played with Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan and a host of other jazz legends. He was also sometime conductor for Johnny Carson's orchestra.

3. Bryan McConnell (double bass) and Tripp Sprague (Saxophone) are amongst the most in-demand jazz musicians on the West Coast of the United States.

4. Steve Bulger: Frontman of one of San Diego's most popular blues bands. His raw vocals and incredible blues-harp (harmonica) playing are a pleasure to watch

5. Packed house at Dizzy's:

More being post-processed. Comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Nikhil
Views: 1,494
02-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the black and whites!
02-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh yeah, that 4th one was nice, nice, nice! The singer has the slightest bit of blur to show the he's really into his performance. I'd go just the slightest touch darker in the background and that will do the trick for me.
02-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
Dave and Alvin: Thanks a lot!

I was happy to get a few good shots of Steve. He's quite the powerhouse on stage and was a very interesting addition to the set.

Alvin, I'll try darkening the background a little bit more. Did you mean darken it overall or just the background behind the singer?

Nikhil

02-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like (I should say I dig) #3 - the rapt concentration of the bass and tenor players so typical of great jazz musicians. I'm looking forward to the shots you're processing; please post them.

Jerry
02-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nixarma Quote
Alvin, I'll try darkening the background a little bit more. Did you mean darken it overall or just the background behind the singer?

Nikhil

Late reply, sorry, just got back from dinner with my wife. Background in general behind the singer. Try a 1/4 stop darker just to give him more prescence - that I think will do it.