Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Bed Of Nails
Lens: SMC Pentax-FA 645 150mm F2.8 [IF] Camera: Pentax 645D Photo Location: Tucson, AZ ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: SkiBum, 01-31-2017, 07:12 PM

I was bushwhacking back to my vehicle after taking some sunset/landscape photos when I noticed that something wasn't quite right with this cactus. If you look closely at this Saguaro, tucked securely in it's arms, you'll see a roosting Roadrunner. Roadrunners are very cool birds, but are very difficult to photograph, mostly due to there dislike of humans and propensity to be constantly moving (fast.)

To take this photo, I backed up the hill I was descending and pulled out my gear. The sun had already set and I only had my 645D on me. To keep the ISO as low as possible, I had to rely on a larger aperture and a very long shutter speed. It was too dark for Auto-Focus so I used a flashlight on one of the Saguaro arms to aid my manual focusing and then recomposed the image.

Fortunately the shot turned out and the Roadrunner wasn't disturbed. ISO 100 kept the noise down, F4.0 was enough to keep the Roadrunner in focus and also blurred the lights of Tucson in the background. Shutter speed of 25 seconds. This is the stillest I'd ever seen a roadrunner!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 

Last edited by SkiBum; 01-31-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Views: 972
01-31-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I feel pain looking at this shot and I assume that was the response the photographer wanted.
10-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SkiBum Quote
I was bushwhacking back to my vehicle after taking some sunset/landscape photos when I noticed that something wasn't quite right with this cactus. If you look closely at this Saguaro, tucked securely in it's arms, you'll see a roosting Roadrunner. Roadrunners are very cool birds, but are very difficult to photograph, mostly due to there dislike of humans and propensity to be constantly moving (fast.)

To take this photo, I backed up the hill I was descending and pulled out my gear. The sun had already set and I only had my 645D on me. To keep the ISO as low as possible, I had to rely on a larger aperture and a very long shutter speed. It was too dark for Auto-Focus so I used a flashlight on one of the Saguaro arms to aid my manual focusing and then recomposed the image.

Fortunately the shot turned out and the Roadrunner wasn't disturbed. ISO 100 kept the noise down, F4.0 was enough to keep the Roadrunner in focus and also blurred the lights of Tucson in the background. Shutter speed of 25 seconds. This is the stillest I'd ever seen a roadrunner!
A bit too "sharp" IMO, but I really like the composition and background.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SkiBum Quote

nice shot! really like the lines! good one