Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
House on Fire
Lens: Tamron 24-135 Camera: Pntax K-5 Photo Location: Rotterdam ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/2s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Schraubstock, 01-31-2017, 11:49 PM

Re-arranging my photo archive, I came across this photo. I am posting it thinking you guys might like to get away, for a moment, from Squirrels, Birds and flowers. (Definitely no insult intended !)

Istanbul Museum of Modern Art organized an exhibition in 2012 at the Netherland's Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Rotterdam, to celebrate 400 years of diplomatic relations between the Netherlands and Turkey. Among others, this Serigraphy ink print on plexiglass panel (2240 x 3000mm) titled Fire (2010) by Ramazan Bayrakoglu was part of the exibiton.

I photographed this picture with a person in the left foreground to emphasise the scale of the panel. I could not think of any other practical way at the time.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-03-2017 at 03:12 AM.
Views: 820
02-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting and appealing juxtapositioning in this shot.
02-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Interesting and appealing juxtapositioning in this shot.
Thanks for the comment.

For those who are interested here are some thoughts. (Mainly relating to this picture)

The woman in the photograph was a total stranger but she was extremely accommodating. Her English was very rudimentary but she was willing to do exactly what I ask of her. I thought her pose was perfect even if it is just showing her from the back. Her slightly raised head and hands in her pockets suggest contemplation. I write this to encourage people not to be shy to ask strangers for help in order to get a well framed shot. I find in a majority of cases people are only too willing to do this. They see you as a professional photographer, even if you are not. I have ask strangers to hold back tree branches for a better shot and never had problems and in some cases it ended with sharing a glass of beer, a bit of a natter, and a better understanding in their way of life and culture. (In a foreign country).

To a casual observer of such pictures it is often not apparent how much thought goes into it to get it right. Please understand I do not wish to self praise !!! It is just the way I was brought up as a photographer.

I think most smartphone snappers do not understand this and a lot of their pictures are only taken to keep a record of the moment. Sort of "quantity over quality".

Sorry for the long winded reply but one thing leads to another.

Cheers
thanks again.