Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Simple Bench
Posted By: paulsoucy, 08-06-2008, 12:21 AM

I work for a church with a very large field on it's campus so lately I've been testing my ability to go find and make shots... It's been unique and interesting and a way to push my creativity and also to develop my eye to see something maybe no one else might see...

They have a few of these benches spread throughout the campus

The sun was almost set one day and I loved the way the light was hitting this bench tucked away in a corner... and shot it at almost 1/4 a sec exposure hand held on the ground...

Everyone I've shown it to says it's one of my top photos.... is that because the way I shot it gives it some character and personality?

Wonder what everyone thinks...

This is part of a larger series of campus pics I think we are going to use as art inside of the actual sanctuary

I'll be getting those together and posting them here soon..

Paul
Views: 2,163
08-06-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool shot...

If you can slide it over enough to get the lightswitch/outlet out of the frame, I think it would make for a better shot. There are a few distracting elements that take the eye away from the bench itself. Nice concept though......I'd like to see more form this series as you add to it.
08-06-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you can easaly make this a lot better in dpp, clean out the element that is disturbing this shoot.. give it more light and more contrast and you got a really strong picture there.
08-14-2008, 12:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
At least from everyone I showed the above photo to in person it made a really great impression but a couple of things really bothered me about it that I was initially sort of blind to when I took it, and that was all the distracting elements around it. The electric box in the back, the grungy floor. You could argue that is what gives the image its character some, and is really giving the bench of "sense of place" I guess it really is subjective. I had a couple people tell me they love the photo because you could see all the details around the bench. I had a photographer ( who mentors me ) tell me it was one of my top photos ever. Trust me I was dumbfounded.

So I decided to do the same concept just with a different bench in a much cleaner setting.. here are two crops, tell me if you think these are improvements over or worse than the original...

Shot with k10 / Tammy 28-70 / adjusted only in acr

Tight:

Wide:

08-14-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account

You have executed the shot well, but to be honest I find the subject very boring - sorry.
08-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
No need to apologize, it's purely subjective really...

This is a bench that sits on my work campus and people pass it by everyday and I guess the reaction I have received so far is because people would not normally stop to consider it from this perspective.. so when they finally see it I guess a light goes on...

So far this photo has meant more to the people who recognzie the object from where they werek and less to everyone else...

Paul