Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Frozen Kenworth
Lens: DA 18-55 WR Camera: K5IIs Photo Location: Billings, Montana ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: Racer X 69, 02-04-2017, 11:32 PM

Never, ever, shut a diesel engine down when the weather is freezing. You wind up with an 80,000lb popsicle.

Views: 652
02-05-2017, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Frozen Kenworth
Very good image Racer. We don't see enough of your photography methinks !!
02-05-2017, 05:00 AM   #3
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Very good image Racer. We don't see enough of your photography methinks !!
Thanks Peter. I actually made that image 3 years ago when I was still a truck driver, and stumbled upon it today. The frosty cold fits with the season too.
02-05-2017, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great photo - defines the word, "cold." Reminds me of my days in Massachusetts, Ohio and Michigan - a far cry from SE Texas, particularly this year where we've had the winter that never was.

Jer

02-05-2017, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never, ever, shut a diesel engine down when the weather is freezing. You wind up with an 80,000lb popsicle.

Agreed, if it has a Cat or a Cummin's for an engine you may just as well wait for spring to try and start it back up. But then it may go if it was plugged in along with a couple of shots of ether and a very strong battery! (Kachunka Kachunka Kachunka)

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 02-05-2017 at 06:50 AM.
02-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
. . . . . . . along with a couple of shots of ether and a very strong battery! (Kachunka Kachunka Kachunka)
Today's diesel engines don't like ether so much. Severe engine damage can result. I did learn a nifty trick while working as a mechanic though. A shop rag soaked in gasoline held in front of the air intake while cranking the engine over works very well.

Just be sure and hold the rag tightly.

Ugly things can happen if the engine ingests it.
02-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A shop rag soaked in gasoline held in front of the air intake while cranking the engine over works very well.
Even with a diesel engine? They put anti-knock additives in gasoline to prevent pre-detonation on compression.

Do modern diesels sold south of the snowbelt get equipped with glow plugs? At least they now make multi-grade oil for diesel engines. I grew up on a farm in Alberta, we went through several cans of ether every winter getting diesel farm tractors started to haul manure and push snow. Even a good snort of ether wasn't enough to start the old Massey Harris 44, we would fill the rad with hot water and hold a propane Tiger torch under the oilpan to de-solidify the crankcase.
02-05-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't fancy jumping that monster with battery pack.

02-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Even with a diesel engine? They put anti-knock additives in gasoline to prevent pre-detonation on compression.
The volatile vapors that gasoline gives off as it evaporates are what do the trick. Very flammable (explosive).

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Do modern diesels sold south of the snowbelt get equipped with glow plugs?
The only "modern" diesel engines with glow plugs are the Powerstroke engines in Ford pickups, and normally aspirated utility type diesels in reefer units. The diesel engine in my Kubota lawn mower has glow plugs too.

The Cummins ISB in my Dodge pickup has a heated air intake plenum for cold starts.

But big diesels in over the road truck engines do not have glow plugs.
02-05-2017, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today's diesel engines don't like ether so much. Severe engine damage can result. I did learn a nifty trick while working as a mechanic though. A shop rag soaked in gasoline held in front of the air intake while cranking the engine over works very well.

Just be sure and hold the rag tightly.

Ugly things can happen if the engine ingests it.
When it comes to the marine engines I'm used to as long as you don't soak the air filter a couple of small shots of ether couldn't hut them and if you weren't quick in removing the gas rag, beside injesting the rag, you run the risk of having the engine throwing parts at you even if the over-speed trips