Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Isolation
Lens: 31mm f1.8 Limited Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Peak District ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Peter Nutkins, 02-13-2017, 01:27 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
I have always been interested in isolation. The Peak District offers ample opportunity in winter months for getting a sense of isolation.

After the swan droppings and bag issues I had last time out (see my website for the story) I bought myself a new camera bag. I settled on the Lowepro Runner BP 350 AWII. It is a great backpack with lots of room for all my kit (plus cereal bars). The build quality is excellent and also means that my trusty tripod ties onto the back. This is particularly welcome in the cold as the aluminium legs get VERY cold and are the worst bit about the thing.

With snow gently landing outside our house I headed out towards Owler Bar roundabout. Each time I have driven around this area I have noticed trees on the moor that would make a great shot. Today was the day!

Not knowing what to expect I made my way slowly along the snow covered roads towards Owler Bar. I wanted to get the bleakness of the snow as a contrast against the dark trees. The poor visibility due to the snow shower would give further contrast.

Parking up in a lay-by I trudged across the moor to get to the trees. The bag made carrying all my kit much easier, and for once I was not squashing my lenses together in the ancient Canon bag that I was using. The tripod holder soon filled with snow and the bag itself was left on the moor for quite a while....all with no dampness at all to the camera kit inside! I thoroughly recommend this bag.

The pictures are everything that I hoped for. These images start a new project area for me entitled Isolation - check out my website

Have a great day.

Peter
Views: 1,116
02-13-2017, 01:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A very nice crisp sharp shot, you've captured a lot of detail.
02-13-2017, 01:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A very nice crisp sharp shot, you've captured a lot of detail.
Thanks!
02-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just to be clear: the Lake District is where one goes poncing through the wild flowers whilst quoting from Lyrical Ballads, while the Peak District is the place to hold a Bronte Sisters picnic?

At any rate, a nice shot and processing--BTW, you might check into Ortlieb if you're still running from rain and incontinent waterfowl. They're best known for bicycle panniers, perhaps, but I'm running one of their bags in my "backcountry" kit and have been impressed by its build-quality.

02-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another winner, Peter. Isolation, for sure, but the shot also brings to my mind loneliness and some melancholy.

Jer
02-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Just to be clear: the Lake District is where one goes poncing through the wild flowers whilst quoting from Lyrical Ballads, while the Peak District is the place to hold a Bronte Sisters picnic?

At any rate, a nice shot and processing--BTW, you might check into Ortlieb if you're still running from rain and incontinent waterfowl. They're best known for bicycle panniers, perhaps, but I'm running one of their bags in my "backcountry" kit and have been impressed by its build-quality.
No poncing on the Peak!

I will have a look at Ortlieb - not heard of them before. Thanks for the comment.

Peter

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2017 at 10:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Another winner, Peter. Isolation, for sure, but the shot also brings to my mind loneliness and some melancholy.

Jer
Glad you like it. Melancholy for sure...good word! I was the only one there for the hour and I left sad and reflective.

Have a good day

Peter
02-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Nutkins Quote
I was the only one there for the hour and I left sad and reflective.
I was always sad when I had to leave the Peak District too!

It always made me glad when I returned too although I haven't been back there for over 25 years now and there are still times I miss it.

02-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I was always sad when I had to leave the Peak District too!

It always made me glad when I returned too although I haven't been back there for over 25 years now and there are still times I miss it.
Well, if you ever get the chance to visit let me know and we can meet up!

Peter
02-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the offer Peter but It's not likely to happen any time soon. I emigrated 25+ years ago and haven't been able to get home since due to various reasons.
06-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[/url][/IMG]
I have always been interested in isolation. The Peak District offers ample opportunity in winter months for getting a sense of isolation.

After the swan droppings and bag issues I had last time out (see my website for the story) I bought myself a new camera bag. I settled on the Lowepro Runner BP 350 AWII. It is a great backpack with lots of room for all my kit (plus cereal bars). The build quality is excellent and also means that my trusty tripod ties onto the back. This is particularly welcome in the cold as the aluminium legs get VERY cold and are the worst bit about the thing.

With snow gently landing outside our house I headed out towards Owler Bar roundabout. Each time I have driven around this area I have noticed trees on the moor that would make a great shot. Today was the day!

Not knowing what to expect I made my way slowly along the snow covered roads towards Owler Bar. I wanted to get the bleakness of the snow as a contrast against the dark trees. The poor visibility due to the snow shower would give further contrast.

Parking up in a lay-by I trudged across the moor to get to the trees. The bag made carrying all my kit much easier, and for once I was not squashing my lenses together in the ancient Canon bag that I was using. The tripod holder soon filled with snow and the bag itself was left on the moor for quite a while....all with no dampness at all to the camera kit inside! I thoroughly recommend this bag.

The pictures are everything that I hoped for. These images start a new project area for me entitled Isolation - check out my website

Have a great day.

Peter
I like the composition. Nice, simple, and balanced!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

[/url][/IMG]

Have a great day.

Peter
Nice shot! alone in the open style.. great shot!
07-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

[/url][/IMG]

Have a great day.

Peter
Yes, it is.