Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Alaska Cruise shots - Eagle
Posted By: TomInJax, 08-06-2008, 06:13 PM

This is the first of the photos that I will be posting.

When we got into Juneau, we went down to the harbor to go whale watching. This guy was waiting and posing for me. The shots are taken with Bigma (Sigma 50-500) at 500mm. Mr. Eagle was about 120 feet away.

More to come as soon as I get through the rest of the pictures.

Thanks for looking!

Views: 2,042
08-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Tom,
That'll get the anticipation juices flowing! Nicely done.

really looking forward to your series, this a trip we are yet to do so am very very interested in where you went, how, what you saw, lenses carried Vs lenses used etc etc etc...

Cheers.
08-07-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All looks good to me IMHO

cheers
08-07-2008, 03:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That is definitely a good capture. Lively and majestic. The bokeh turns out nice with bigma at 500mm as well.

08-07-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And to think Ben Franklin wanted the Turkey as the national bird! Great shot!
08-07-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hi Tom,
That'll get the anticipation juices flowing! Nicely done.

really looking forward to your series, this a trip we are yet to do so am very very interested in where you went, how, what you saw, lenses carried Vs lenses used etc etc etc...

Cheers.
Ok, here is what I learned while in Alaska. I used a backpack for my camera and lenses. That turned out to be a great idea. Problem is I brought too much stuff. My backpack started hurting my shoulders after a couple hours of hiking. So, bring only the lenses you "need"! Don't anticipate every situation and try to bring everything. Here is the list of lenses that I used on the trip:

- DA16-45/4 (This was on my camera most of the time)
- DA*50-125/2.8 (Weather proofing and shooting nature while hiking)
- FA31/1.8 (Perfect all-purpose, low light photography. I shot the Butchart Gardens in Victoria after dark with this lens)
- Sigma 50-500mm "Bigma" (All the wildlife - whales, eagles, etc. were captured with this lens)

I never used the FA70, Sigma 10-20mm, A50/2.8 macro, or a big tripod. I would have been better off to bring a lighter, quality tripod instead of the massive aluminum tripod that I brought with me. I also brought a monopod. It never got used much because it doesn't offer much support in the other directions (side to side, front to back) to justify it's use. Another note; tripods and monopods don't help much on a boat that is bouncing around in the waves.

I would bring a lightweight, but well made carbon fiber tripod. I would also bring the DA*300 or a quality 400mm or 500mm APO lens instead of the Bigma because of it's weight. Yes, it worked out great and captured some amazing shots. But it would be better for someone younger and stronger than me.

Anyway - that's my 2 cents worth.