Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Almost good mountain bike shots
Posted By: Chriffer, 08-07-2008, 07:22 AM

This was my second day of trying to get some shots on a mountain bike group ride. Most of the shots came during a break where we played around on a "skinny" which is nothing more than a tree/log that is narrow enough to be a challenge to ride the length of. This was around 6:45 in the evening in a wooded area so lighting was interesting. I used my only fast auto focus lens a DA40.

My first time trying this I used Av and the shutter speed was too slow with the camera choosing. This time I shot in shutter priority mode at 1/180s. I also had in my mind I needed to do a better job showing the obstacles. Specifically the scale of them.

These three as a series really do something none of my individual shots showed.

The one that really stands out though is this

I am disappointed I didn't get more in the frame at the bottom. I'm not sure if I would not have cropped it to the same spot if I did. It's one of those things I will never know. So do you think this one works without seeing what lies ahead?

I took a pretty good spill after taking this group of shots. I landed pretty hard with my camera in my backpack, then my bike landed on me. I bet that would have made for an interesting picture. I ended up with some cuts and scrapes and the camera didn't seem to be affected.

Next time I will experiment with a lower perspective to see how that works, focus on keeping where people are going in frame, and I might even try not to get hurt.
Views: 1,446
08-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The 2nd shot has the better composition with the distance feel coming from the placement of the subject in the left upper corner.

The story is told as the subject approached towards the camera giving that sense of relevance to viewer. At the same time, his concentration is well captured in the frame.

I think what you desired is the speed and impact which are not present in the shots. A bit of panning with little PP would yield your desired outcome.

p.s. I do panning badly so just a little comment from what I saw and read.
08-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great balance and composition

cheers