Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Concours Colors
Posted By: Sailor, 02-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Walk onto a new car dealer's lot these days and you'll see cars only in a few colors. Consequently, when I attended a Porsche concours yesterday, it was truly refreshing to see vintage Porsches with the egregious colors of previous eras mixed in with the blacks, whites, and silvers that dominate today's vehicles. Here are a few of the frames I shot during the event that show the color variations that were on displays.

Jer

Views: 1,044
03-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I'd say that dollar will have inflated to a big down payment on an AMC Pacer.

Jer
My step mother had one of those, no thanks. It was such a poor vehicle it only lasted a few years. I beleive that in three years cost of maintenance had exceeded cost of purchase. Not to mention that in the summer they cooked you like a greenhouse.. My mom had a similar vehicle, a sporty version of a Ford Cortina that tried really hard to match the interior look of a Jag, not similar in design but similar in cost of operation. Unfortunately one of my buddy's dad had a real jag so i wasn't fooled. It was easier for the car companies to get away with that stuff in the old days before the internet.

Speaking of jags, I used to work beside a shop that repaired them. They were in so frequently the guy only needed about 20 customers to keep busy. AH, the good old days.

Last edited by normhead; 03-04-2017 at 07:18 AM.
03-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My step mother had one of those, no thanks. It was such a poor vehicle it only lasted a few years. I beleive that in three years cost of maintenance had exceeded cost of purchase. Not to mention that in the summer they cooked you like a greenhouse.. My mom had a similar vehicle, a sporty version of a Ford Cortina that tried really hard to match the interior look of a Jag, not similar in design but similar in cost of operation. Unfortunately one of my buddy's dad had a real jag so i wasn't fooled. It was easier for the car companies to get away with that stuff in the old days before the internet.

Speaking of jags, I used to work beside a shop that repaired them. They were in so frequently the guy only needed about 20 customers to keep busy. AH, the good old days.
In the mid '60s, one of my friends with malleable dad owned a voluptuous, black XKE. What a beauty . . . . . . . . when it wasn't in the shop. I've noodled on the idea of buying one of the new F-Types, but the reliability data from Consumer Reports is not encouraging, even in this day and age.

Statistical data for Porsches are good-to-exemplary, depending on the source, and my anecdotal experience with the cars has been good. Routine service service, however, costs an arm and a leg; after paying for an oil change on my 911 a couple of months ago, I felt faint for at least two hours afterwards.

Jer
03-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I admire your knowledge, skills and patience that a real restoration requires. You're way outta my league.

In more than one Porsche history, I've read that the rear placement of air cooled engines (chosen for simplicity and low cost) in the Bug and later the 356 stemmed from the belief that such a location aided in cooling. The original, hand-made 356s - which actually were mid engines if I remember right - were designed by one Erwin Komenda, who was heavily influenced by the Bug. As volume of the 356 increased, Ferry Porsche made use of available hardware from VW (which the British occupation had allowed to reopen) requiring the rear engine configuration that graces the 911 in my garage. The early history of car production at Porsche, which was a design firm (the current Porsche Design, is its descendent) is fascinating, and includes the imprisonment of Ferdinand Porsche in France after the war. It's quite a story!

My next task is posting the 356 photos, which I'll place in this section of the forum.

Jer
Jer,

I am good at assembling parts, but my mechanical skills are close to non existent and motivation to do even the simplest assembly is not high. I do have a number of parts for my Matchless, most of them carefully wrapped up and in storage in my garage.

Thank you for the interesting history on early Porsche. I've read a fair amount about early air cooled VW's and Ferdinand Porsche and Hans Ledwinka involvement, but up to now, not so much about early Porsche history. You have piqued my interest.

Les
03-07-2017, 06:52 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Jer,

I am good at assembling parts, but my mechanical skills are close to non existent and motivation to do even the simplest assembly is not high. I do have a number of parts for my Matchless, most of them carefully wrapped up and in storage in my garage.

Thank you for the interesting history on early Porsche. I've read a fair amount about early air cooled VW's and Ferdinand Porsche and Hans Ledwinka involvement, but up to now, not so much about early Porsche history. You have piqued my interest.

Les
Les, I'm betting that your mechanical skills are way ahead of mine.

I've read a number of Porsche histories (not all are in total agreement), and the plot is fascinating. But that's true of a number of auto company stories, with their brash, bigger than life characters like Ford (I and II), Iacocca, Delorean, Sloan, Bill Mitchell, Harley Earl, Bunky Knudsen . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

One book I think you might enjoy is Paul Ingrassia's "Engines of Change: A History of the American Dream in Fifteen Cars." Ingrassia is a terrific writer who employs crisp prose delivered with a dry wit, and in this book he talks about how 15 vehicles both reflected and influenced the culture of their time. Several of the cars are one's you'd expect such as the Model T, the Mustang, the Corvette and the VW Beetle. But he also includes the Corvair, which brought automotive safety into the spotlight, and the 3 Series BMW which served and nurtured the model of life as a young professional. All fun stuff; if you've not already read it, I'm guessing you'd enjoy it a lot.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 03-07-2017 at 07:19 AM.
03-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I've read a number of Porsche histories (not all are in total agreement), and the plot is fascinating. But that's true of a number of auto company stories, with their brash, bigger than life characters like Ford (I and II), Iacocca, Delorean, Sloan, Bill Mitchell, Harley Earl, Bunky Knudsen . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

One book I think you might enjoy is Paul Ingrassia's "Engines of Change: A History of the American Dream in Fifteen Cars." Ingrassia is a terrific writer who employs crisp prose delivered with a dry wit, and in this book he talks about how 15 vehicles both reflected and influenced the culture of their time. Several of the cars are one's you'd expect such as the Model T, the Mustang, the Corvette and the VW Beetle. But he also includes the Corvair, which brought automotive safety into the spotlight, and the 3 Series BMW which served and nurtured the model of life as a young professional. All fun stuff; if you've not already read it, I'm guessing you'd enjoy it a lot.

Jer
Jer,

I checked Mr. Ingrassia's book out on both the Amazon and our Canadian big bookseller, Chapters online catalogues. I've not read it, but it does look like the kind of read I enjoy. I've put it on my list of books to get, for my next order. Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I was watching one of the new episodes of the TV series, Wheeler Dealers the other night. They featured a very late model Porsche 912E. Beautiful lines and with the boxer air cooled, flat four. Earlier in the series they did a show on a '60's Volvo PV544s with the B18 engine. I had one during my university days way back when. A great show.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=...t2Cc_gCat8t6mg

Les
03-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

every color in the rainbow here Jer. I've been off the forum for quite awhile and wondering what you are driving now, I'm thinking a 911?
03-08-2017, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jer,

I checked Mr. Ingrassia's book out on both the Amazon and our Canadian big bookseller, Chapters online catalogues. I've not read it, but it does look like the kind of read I enjoy. I've put it on my list of books to get, for my next order. Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I was watching one of the new episodes of the TV series, Wheeler Dealers the other night. They featured a very late model Porsche 912E. Beautiful lines and with the boxer air cooled, flat four. Earlier in the series they did a show on a '60's Volvo PV544s with the B18 engine. I had one during my university days way back when. A great show.

Les
Thanks, Les, for the link! I love "Wheeler Dealers" but I missed this episode. In our part of the world we get cable through Comcast, which includes the Velocity Channel (one of the Discovery channels) that features wall-to-wall car shows (maybe you folks get this as well). Along with Mike and Ed, I enjoy "What's My Car Worth?", "Legendary Motor Car", and "Chasing Classic Cars" - all of which feature the kind of sports, exotic and classic vehicles you and I admire.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
every color in the rainbow here Jer. I've been off the forum for quite awhile and wondering what you are driving now, I'm thinking a 911?
Hey Bob - it wasn't a huge, top-class concours (like you're used to at Pebble Beach), but the quality and variety of the cars surprised and delighted me.

I'm still driving and enjoying the blue BMW M4 you may remember, but you're right - I bought a new 911 Carrera Cabriolet last April, about a year ahead of what I'd planned. A combination of Houston's sluggish economy and weak car sales (owing to the oil glut) along with Porsche's early introduction of the 2017 911s (in March of 2016!!) worked in my favor, since the Porsche dealer had an unusually high inventory and thus offered what was to become my car (a leftover 2015) at a fully depreciated price. The car is precisely the model and color I wanted, with the all of the options I required - had I ordered the vehicle I might have changed a thing or two, but nothing fundamental. So . . . . . . . . . I pulled the trigger.

Here are a couple of pics of the new guy that I took a while back.

Jer

03-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

AWESOME is all I can think of right now Jer.

03-08-2017, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
AWESOME is all I can think of right now Jer.
Thanks much, buddy.

Jer
03-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
I actually got to drive a 356 back in the late 60s. It was a silver convertible with a removable hardtop. It was on the used car lot of a local dealer, who took it in on trade for a new Chevy. Guess the dealer really didn't know what he had at the time, since most folks didn't know what a Porsche was and it was very attractively priced. I should have bought it but I didn't since I was just out of college, engaged and had limited funds. One of the gems I let slip through my fingers.

Edit: Forgot to mention I loved the photos, great color and lots of nostalgia.
Now that is something! That car could be worth serious money nowadays. But I know what you mean; when I was a grad student, I lusted after so many cool cars that I couldn't afford.

Thanks much for the kind words.

Jer
03-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that is something! That car could be worth serious money nowadays. But I know what you mean; when I was a grad student, I lusted after so many cool cars that I couldn't afford.

Thanks much for the kind words.

Jer
Yes, like the original Shelby Cobra that sat in the dealers lot for a year or two, because no one wanted them . . . . . . . . . at the time. Now try to buy one. I have a friend who bought a brand new AC Ace back in the day. He still owns it. Lucky guy.

Your pictures are both beautiful and nostalgic, so many fond memories. Thanks
03-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Yes, like the original Shelby Cobra that sat in the dealers lot for a year or two, because no one wanted them . . . . . . . . . at the time. Now try to buy one. I have a friend who bought a brand new AC Ace back in the day. He still owns it. Lucky guy.

Your pictures are both beautiful and nostalgic, so many fond memories. Thanks
Oh Lord, I lusted after a Cobra mightily back in the mid '60s - I remember seeing one at a dealer in St. Louis, and the sticker price was - IIRC - $5700. Now they're seven figures.

And . . . . . . . . thanks for the very kind remarks.

Jer
03-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Jer
Jer,

Thank you for suggesting Paul Ingrassia's book, Engines of Change: A History of the American Dream in Fifteen Cars.

I picked it up at the local library and found it all that you say. He provides a lot of interesting anecdotal information about vehicles, their development, consumer reaction and the impact they have/had on society . I also enjoyed his takes on leaders of the automotive industry, some of it obscure, all of it fascinating.

He has an entertaining style. Light, amusing... able to regularly insert perceptive opinion about automobilia...and the people involved.

In fact, I've got another of his works coming in..... Crash course : the American automobile industry's road from glory to disaster.

Thanks Jer for steering me to this author.

Les
03-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jer,

Thank you for suggesting Paul Ingrassia's book, Engines of Change: A History of the American Dream in Fifteen Cars.

I picked it up at the local library and found it all that you say. He provides a lot of interesting anecdotal information about vehicles, their development, consumer reaction and the impact they have/had on society . I also enjoyed his takes on leaders of the automotive industry, some of it obscure, all of it fascinating.

He has an entertaining style. Light, amusing... able to regularly insert perceptive opinion about automobilia...and the people involved.

In fact, I've got another of his works coming in..... Crash course : the American automobile industry's road from glory to disaster.

Thanks Jer for steering me to this author.

Les
Terrific, Les - glad you liked your first taste of Ingrassia. I think you'll find "Crash Course" equally absorbing.

Jer