Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Concours Colors
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Kemah, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 02-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Walk onto a new car dealer's lot these days and you'll see cars only in a few colors. Consequently, when I attended a Porsche concours yesterday, it was truly refreshing to see vintage Porsches with the egregious colors of previous eras mixed in with the blacks, whites, and silvers that dominate today's vehicles. Here are a few of the frames I shot during the event that show the color variations that were on displays.

Jer

Views: 1,641
02-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

some great colours there...Porsche did some wonderful tones in the 70's. Especially like the powder blue 911, although the tangerine one next to it is nice as well...
02-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Lovely photos. In fact I've tried to take a similar picture as your first photo....but not with the success you have demonstrated.

I do like that lineup of Porsche 911 series. Nicely done.

Also the 356 series on display..... a pleasure to view.

Years ago, an older work colleague of mine had a 356 Coupe...that he had used in the late '50's, early '60's as his daily driver. He, his wife and daughter also used to take the 356 on camping trips back then...daughter, tent, sleeping bags sharing cabin room.

I only had one ride in a Porsche 356. In the late '60's, I was a very young editorial assistant for a company that published business magazines. I was writing an article about a woman who had just embarked in the business of writing career resumes for others, which back then was a bit of a novel idea. A nice lady, very intelligent, perceptive and resourceful. She ran the business out of her house in a genteel area that was known for the many mature trees that lined the winding roads that predominated in this section of town.

After the interview we started talking about cars and she mentioned that she had a 356 cabriolet in her garage and would I like to take a ride in it. Being a car enthusiast, I didn't have to be asked twice.

A great experience ...soft top down...listening to the air cooled Porsche 4 cylinder running through the gears. I still remember that ride in the 356.

What a nice lady.
02-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That blue one is almost an identical blue to my GT. All those colours reminds me of M & M's.

02-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice colorful images with that combo Jer. I like it too. Seems Europe was on an M&M kick in the '70s. I had a bright orange Sirocco back then.
02-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Top banana Quote
some great colours there...Porsche did some wonderful tones in the 70's. Especially like the powder blue 911, although the tangerine one next to it is nice as well...
Thanks - it was a great show. I saw some cars that one rarely sees on the street.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Lovely photos. In fact I've tried to take a similar picture as your first photo....but not with the success you have demonstrated.

I do like that lineup of Porsche 911 series. Nicely done.

Also the 356 series on display..... a pleasure to view.

Years ago, an older work colleague of mine had a 356 Coupe...that he had used in the late '50's, early '60's as his daily driver. He, his wife and daughter also used to take the 356 on camping trips back then...daughter, tent, sleeping bags sharing cabin room.

I only had one ride in a Porsche 356. In the late '60's, I was a very young editorial assistant for a company that published business magazines. I was writing an article about a woman who had just embarked in the business of writing career resumes for others, which back then was a bit of a novel idea. A nice lady, very intelligent, perceptive and resourceful. She ran the business out of her house in a genteel area that was known for the many mature trees that lined the winding roads that predominated in this section of town.

After the interview we started talking about cars and she mentioned that she had a 356 cabriolet in her garage and would I like to take a ride in it. Being a car enthusiast, I didn't have to be asked twice.

A great experience ...soft top down...listening to the air cooled Porsche 4 cylinder running through the gears. I still remember that ride in the 356.

What a nice lady.
Thanks, Les.

I envy you're experience with the 356; I've never been in one. I'll be posting some shots of a couple of pristine 356s as I work through all my files.

Has your K-1 arrived yet?

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
That blue one is almost an identical blue to my GT. All those colours reminds me of M & M's.
Actually, I thought of your GT when I saw that color, although it's been a while since I've seen pictures of your car. And, yeah, the M&Ms analogy is a good one!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nice colorful images with that combo Jer. I like it too. Seems Europe was on an M&M kick in the '70s. I had a bright orange Sirocco back then.
Thanks much, Steve. I wanted a Sirocco so badly in 1979, but it was just two small for my needs. Those cars showed that front-wheel drive can be a blast!

Jer
02-28-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

Thanks, Les.

I envy you're experience with the 356; I've never been in one. I'll be posting some shots of a couple of pristine 356s as I work through all my files.

Has your K-1 arrived yet?

Jer

Jer,

It was a great ride, I still remember it vividly . Looking forward to seeing your 356 pix .

My K-1 came this past Thursday and I've been busy reading the manual and trying features out. There is some similarity in controls and features to my K5, which aids in familiarizing myself with the new camera.

So far, I'm impressed with the high ISO performance, the solidity of the camera and the resolution. I didn't get the battery grip and extra battery as I have with my K10D and K5, as I wasn't sure how large the K-1 would be. As soon as I handled it for the first time, I found my hand 'looking' for more camera surface area to grip. The same day I ordered a battery grip and extra battery, it should come in this week.

I like the 28-105, very versatile. I do wish it was a 24mm -105, but I think 28mm will work fine.

I'm also slowly trying other lenses I have on the K-1. So far I've only tried my 40mm Ltd., which seems to work fine, next one on the agenda will be my 70mm Limited.

Les

03-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jer,

It was a great ride, I still remember it vividly . Looking forward to seeing your 356 pix .

My K-1 came this past Thursday and I've been busy reading the manual and trying features out. There is some similarity in controls and features to my K5, which aids in familiarizing myself with the new camera.

So far, I'm impressed with the high ISO performance, the solidity of the camera and the resolution. I didn't get the battery grip and extra battery as I have with my K10D and K5, as I wasn't sure how large the K-1 would be. As soon as I handled it for the first time, I found my hand 'looking' for more camera surface area to grip. The same day I ordered a battery grip and extra battery, it should come in this week.

I like the 28-105, very versatile. I do wish it was a 24mm -105, but I think 28mm will work fine.

I'm also slowly trying other lenses I have on the K-1. So far I've only tried my 40mm Ltd., which seems to work fine, next one on the agenda will be my 70mm Limited.

Les
I also found that my DA 40 seems to operate well on my K-1, Les. You know, I think I promised you in some earlier thread that I'd check out my FA 31 for some shots at the concours, but I'm sorry to say I completely forgot. Please accept my apologies!

Jer
03-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I also found that my DA 40 seems to operate well on my K-1, Les. You know, I think I promised you in some earlier thread that I'd check out my FA 31 for some shots at the concours, but I'm sorry to say I completely forgot. Please accept my apologies!

Jer
Thank you Jer, nothing to apologize for.

BTW, I saw a side view pix you had taken of a 356 coupe...think it was silver. Lovely car and when looking at your photograph you can see how the 911 body shape evolved from the 356.

Thinking about the shape(s) of both the 356 and 911, made me think of the '60's 'teardrop' style of the Triumph Bonneville motorcycle gas tank.

Another enduring, classic design that draws heavily from nature.

Les
03-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually got to drive a 356 back in the late 60s. It was a silver convertible with a removable hardtop. It was on the used car lot of a local dealer, who took it in on trade for a new Chevy. Guess the dealer really didn't know what he had at the time, since most folks didn't know what a Porsche was and it was very attractively priced. I should have bought it but I didn't since I was just out of college, engaged and had limited funds. One of the gems I let slip through my fingers.

Edit: Forgot to mention I loved the photos, great color and lots of nostalgia.

Last edited by onlineflyer; 03-01-2017 at 07:06 PM.
03-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Jer, nothing to apologize for.

BTW, I saw a side view pix you had taken of a 356 coupe...think it was silver. Lovely car and when looking at your photograph you can see how the 911 body shape evolved from the 356.

Thinking about the shape(s) of both the 356 and 911, made me think of the '60's 'teardrop' style of the Triumph Bonneville motorcycle gas tank.

Another enduring, classic design that draws heavily from nature.

Les
Hey Les - one of the things that is cool about Porsche concours is the visual evolution that you describe is on display in one place. When I got back home from my day at the concours, I told wife Connie that if one had gone into hibernation in the '60s and awoke today, he or she would recognize a 2017 911 as a Porsche with no need for the badge.

My motorcycle experience is pretty limited, but I had a friend who owned a Bonneville back in the '60s, and I rode as passenger a few times. Also, I piloted a 350cc, 1-cylinder (IIRC) Triumph for a couple of days; it belonged to my college roommate's brother who kindly (and perhaps foolishly) allowed me to use while I visited one weekend.

Finally, either later this evening or in the morning I'll be posting some pictures of a beautiful, 1959 356 Cabrio 1600.

Jer
03-01-2017, 11:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Hey Les - one of the things that is cool about Porsche concours is the visual evolution that you describe is on display in one place. When I got back home from my day at the concours, I told wife Connie that if one had gone into hibernation in the '60s and awoke today, he or she would recognize a 2017 911 as a Porsche with no need for the badge.

My motorcycle experience is pretty limited, but I had a friend who owned a Bonneville back in the '60s, and I rode as passenger a few times. Also, I piloted a 350cc, 1-cylinder (IIRC) Triumph for a couple of days; it belonged to my college roommate's brother who kindly (and perhaps foolishly) allowed me to use while I visited one weekend.

Finally, either later this evening or in the morning I'll be posting some pictures of a beautiful, 1959 356 Cabrio 1600.

Jer

Jer,

I know what you mean about the continuation of Porsche styling cues throughout the decades. Back in the '60's among my various cars I had three VW Beetles, a '61 (first car), a '64 and a '69. As we know, Dr. Ferdinand Porsche designed the original Beetle (Type 1) and the 356. Now I realize my eyes aren't what they used to be, but if I look at a 356 and a Beetle (side views)...and maybe squint a bit... I can see how Dr. Porsche's '30's Beetle shape....as a vehicle shape....further refined into the '40's 356 coupe shape design. The rounded front and rear treatment...the 2 door coupe. There seems to be a bit of theme continuity. I'm not comparing the Beetle to the 356...one was an economy car, the other a sophisticated sports car.

I'm assuming a prime design goal for both vehicles was streamlining...to make effective use of available power both for increased speed and fuel efficiency and as any good engineer, he continually refined his ideas.

In fact when I look at the 911, I think this series more than any other automobile that comes to mind, is the ultimate evolution of some very original and sound ideas. The basic shape, maintenance of a boxer engine type and rear engine placement. It certainly hasn't been change for the sake of change, it's been constant refining.

A motorcycle was my first vehicle. I got it when I reached the licensing age...16 up here. It was a bug that bit hard. I used to ride a fair amount (sporting motorcycles), but now rarely. Mostly due to age and family considerations.

The last two motorcycles I've ridden were my son's. One a Yamaha sports bike, the other his BMW twin cylinder, GS model. I rode them just a bit, in 2015 and 2016. It's nice to know that the old dog can still ride and keep the shiny side up and the rubber on the road.

I think I've mentioned that I have a couple of vintage motorcycles that I'm slowly restoring. One is an old English motorcycle. I spend a lot of time looking at it. Beautiful lines and being a vintage air cooled twin, everything is there to behold. Fins, separate gear box, metal external oil lines, pushrod tunnels, twin vintage carburetors, etc. Some of the design cues are typically British...a bit eccentric and illogical...but it all adds to it's character.

I look forward to seeing your photographs of the 356.

Les
03-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jer,

I know what you mean about the continuation of Porsche styling cues throughout the decades . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I look forward to seeing your photographs of the 356.

Les
I admire your knowledge, skills and patience that a real restoration requires. You're way outta my league.

In more than one Porsche history, I've read that the rear placement of air cooled engines (chosen for simplicity and low cost) in the Bug and later the 356 stemmed from the belief that such a location aided in cooling. The original, hand-made 356s - which actually were mid engines if I remember right - were designed by one Erwin Komenda, who was heavily influenced by the Bug. As volume of the 356 increased, Ferry Porsche made use of available hardware from VW (which the British occupation had allowed to reopen) requiring the rear engine configuration that graces the 911 in my garage. The early history of car production at Porsche, which was a design firm (the current Porsche Design, is its descendent) is fascinating, and includes the imprisonment of Ferdinand Porsche in France after the war. It's quite a story!

My next task is posting the 356 photos, which I'll place in this section of the forum.

Jer
03-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

This reminds me, my Brother made me a bet he'd have a Porche before he was 30, but he never paid up. How much is $1 in 1984 money wirth today?
03-04-2017, 06:41 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This reminds me, my Brother made me a bet he'd have a Porche before he was 30, but he never paid up. How much is $1 in 1984 money wirth today?
I'd say that dollar will have inflated to a big down payment on an AMC Pacer.

Jer