Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Remember When They Made Orange Cars?
Lens: DAF 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Kemah, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 02-27-2017, 06:10 PM

Here are some shots of a nicely restored Porsche 912E covered in its original orange. The 912E, which was produced for sale only in the US for the 1976 model year, was a stopgap entry-level offering after production of the 914 had stopped and before manufacture of the front-engined, water-cooled () 924 had begun. Only about 2100 of these cars, which essentially were 911s powered by a FI VW flat four, were shipped, and the owner (and restorer) of this car told me that less than a dozen orange ones came off the assembly line.

Jer

Views: 1,407
02-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I made an observation a while ago, that now days you might as well shoot B&W in the city because cars are now uniformly all shades of grey,

Just look in a parking lot these days.
02-27-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They still do Jer but in many variations of Orange.
02-27-2017, 11:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

27% of new cars are silver. I like any "metal" color for cars. My last two have been...silver, but they were not Porsches. The Pepto-Bismolish Mustang II is just wrong.

02-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

My mom used to have a purple Volkswagen that was factory paint. So I even remember when cars were purple.
02-28-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I made an observation a while ago, that now days you might as well shoot B&W in the city because cars are now uniformly all shades of grey,

Just look in a parking lot these days.
You got that right, Lowell . . . . and I've gotta admit I'm a contributor to that situation, since I've owned a lot of silver, white and black cars.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
They still do Jer but in many variations of Orange.
I guess you're right, buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
27% of new cars are silver. I like any "metal" color for cars. My last two have been...silver, but they were not Porsches. The Pepto-Bismolish Mustang II is just wrong.
Same here; since 2000, I've owned a silver BMW and two silver Boxsters, and my other cars have been black or white. My current M4, with its special medium blue, is an exception, but my Agate Grey 911 is just a dark shade of silver.

Thankfully, I've been spared the vision of a Pepto-Bismo Mustang II.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My mom used to have a purple Volkswagen that was factory paint. So I even remember when cars were purple.
Yup, the past is another country and things are different there. In the '50s my dad, owned a number of two- and three-tone cars, and even in the '70s and '80s the color list for cars was pretty long.

Related to you're mom's purple car, I was able to photograph an newly-restored, early 911 Targa in purple. I'll post some shots of it in due course.

Jer
02-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try this link
orange X1 - Bing images

03-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Interesting, although according to the BMW USA website, the color of the car in the link is not currently available for the X1. Perhaps it's no longer in production or not available for US cars. Most Bimmers have conventional colors, although the company does offer a few unusual ones. My M4 is Yas Marina Blue, which is pretty striking and I get comments about it every time I get gas - although that may because people can't believe a 70-year-old geezer is driving the thing.

Jer
03-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Orange is a great color. My wife's 1971 Vette was orange.
03-04-2017, 06:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Orange is a great color. My wife's 1971 Vette was orange.
Hey Tom - got any pictures you scan and post? Sounds like a very vivacious vehicle!

Jer
03-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That 912 is beautifully photographed Jer, yes I especially remember when Dodge/Plymouth came out with those wild colors in the late 60's/early 70's.
03-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nahh,
What about Columbo's Peugeot 403 convertible with 4 on the tree and in its rusty grey glory?

Columbo is on Cozi here now , but I missed it tonite because the Mrs. dragged me out to a social do at a restaurant.
I like the cars and the men's trouser flares and the ladies hair styles in it.
03-05-2017, 07:30 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
That 912 is beautifully photographed Jer, yes I especially remember when Dodge/Plymouth came out with those wild colors in the late 60's/early 70's.
Thanks, brother Bob. I remember all those wild colors back in the day. My hypothesis is that since people don't trade cars so often nowadays, they tend to choose colors that they can live with for several years: silver, white, black . . . . . . . . Of course, I may be all wet!

Jer
03-05-2017, 07:53 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I primarily buy used cars for daily driving, most of them are blandly silver-grey conformo-mobiles that are easily lost in a parking lot of similar cars.

Good on Ford, Chevy, and Dodge, for offering Orange, Purple, Yellow, and Green colors on at least some of their cars.

As for Porsches, thy look very good in orange
03-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I thought this thread was about these