Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
HDR Sunset pano first attempt
Lens: Sigma 18-125 DC HSM Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Kalbarri, WA ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: ranmar850, 03-01-2017, 05:30 AM

This was my first attempt at using HDR RAW images generated by the K-70 in a pano stitch in PS. I obviously underexposed as I couldn't recover the details in the darker area.

Views: 1,289
03-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still a nice result, I'd say. The dark shadow makes the scene look more dramatic.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree with Adam. The HDR brings out some shadow detail without being extreme.
03-02-2017, 09:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thnaks. I was using HDR4 from memory.I had to push the shadows in LR to get that amount of detail. Really was generally under-exposed, but method shows promise.

03-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
for a first attempt this is well done.
06-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ranmar850 Quote
This was my first attempt at using HDR RAW images generated by the K-70 in a pano stitch in PS. I obviously underexposed as I couldn't recover the details in the darker area.
Great pano! love it! love the tree in the right!
08-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Truly gorgeous!

08-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice work with the HDR. It looks very natural and not your typical HDR. If it were me thougn, I wold have tried getting to that other ridge, or a little higher up on the one you're at in order to see the distant landscape. With it just poking out, I find my eye just wants to lop off the foreground hill to see what treasures are hidden behind.
08-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

So good!
08-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your effort has has been rewarded . Sometimes shadow detail is overrated .
08-10-2018, 04:10 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Nice work with the HDR. It looks very natural and not your typical HDR. If it were me thougn, I wold have tried getting to that other ridge, or a little higher up on the one you're at in order to see the distant landscape. With it just poking out, I find my eye just wants to lop off the foreground hill to see what treasures are hidden behind.
yes--I couldn't get any higher from that vantage point, and I have always wanted to get that hill out of the way. Quite a hike to get to the top of it, and risky with venomous wildlife. Nature has intervened since, with a very large bushfire that burnt the ground bare all over those hills--once that spinifex is burnt, it is just bare, stony ground underneath. So I can get to more places with less risk from snakes and scorpions now, but the view will be somewhat bare for the next few years.
08-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice!
I like a good sunrise too. You have to get there ahead of them which makes the going even more iffy in the rough sometimes, and for me it's ice and snow when I can be there to catch them(stopping during commute). Since sunrise shots are largely about the sky, you might also try leaving the dark area pretty dark so as not to distract and crop into the upper middle. With so much resolution these days you can usually do it without loss and get a whole different look and feel from the same setup. This makes me want to go share some of my attempts. I've had less luck with HDR so far since I shoot mostly handheld. I need to make a note to take the time to stick one in the car during sunrise season this year and give it a try.

Last edited by blues_hawk; 08-10-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: duplicated text somehow.
08-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

yes--I couldn't get any higher from that vantage point, and I have always wanted to get that hill out of the way. Quite a hike to get to the top of it, and risky with venomous wildlife. Nature has intervened since, with a very large bushfire that burnt the ground bare all over those hills--once that spinifex is burnt, it is just bare, stony ground underneath. So I can get to more places with less risk from snakes and scorpions now, but the view will be somewhat bare for the next few years.
snakes and scorpions! ugh I can see why you didn't hike any further! Sorry to hear about those fires! They'll bring renewal though, so that's a good thing.
You did a superb job on the HDR. Nice work!
08-11-2018, 04:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
snakes and scorpions! ugh I can see why you didn't hike any further! Sorry to hear about those fires! They'll bring renewal though, so that's a good thing.
You did a superb job on the HDR. Nice work!
Thanks. I've actually been hospitalised from a scorpion bite in spinifex company, suffered while doing some photography--and I'll take a scorpion over a death adder or king brown any day :-)
08-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Thanks. I've actually been hospitalised from a scorpion bite in spinifex company, suffered while doing some photography--and I'll take a scorpion over a death adder or king brown any day :-)
All i have to worry about is the humble rattler. Death Adders, and king browns? I think I'd have a panic attack at the slightest sound. At least our rattlers give a warning sound.