Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Arthurs Pass National Park
Lens: 18-135mm WR Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Arthurs Pass, NZ 
Posted By: FruitLooPs, 03-01-2017, 10:32 PM

Hi guys,I've made the trip twice in the last few months to go hiking at Arthurs Pass. The views are pretty hard to beat, although my legs feel like they've been attacked by a baseball bat

Bealey Spur

^^ This is fairly gentle going, working up a ridge towards historic high country sheep farming operation, although no longer in operation one of the original mustering huts is still there for people to stay in.
The person in the photo is my father. The central most valley in the image leads through to Arthurs Pass, one of the key passes through the alps between east and west coast. The braided river gravels show the confluence of the Waimakariri River (leftmost) and the Bealey River (central), glacial and snow melt feed these - they flow out the right side of the image to drain into the sea near my city of Christchurch.

^^ Looking towards the source of the Waimakariri, the light catches the river braids quite strongly against the gravel flats.

I returned a few days ago to walk up Mount Bealey. This is a more challenging walk as it turned out the incline is pretty steep with the first 2km of trail gaining 600m altitude. From above the bushline it's a self-guided affair along the gravel and rock ridgelines to the peak @ ~1820m alt.

Little Mount Bealey

^^ Click image for 360 interactive Pano. A short amount below the actual peak of Mount Bealey. Arthurs Pass township is in the valley with the river on the right side of shot.

Arthurs Pass looking toward Otira & west coast
Attachment 346286
^^ Shot @ 135mm reminiscent of the river contrast, this time a river of tarmac haha.

Mount Bealey Summit

^^ Click for 360 interactive Pano Apologies on the view crop, i didn't have a tripod so this was using the summit rock cairn as substitute. & attempting to get into shot for perspective haha
The river visible is the Waimak again however from the opposite side as compared with the Bealey Spur panoramic.

Cheers

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 03-01-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Views: 469
03-02-2017, 01:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful country, well taken.
03-02-2017, 02:30 AM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fantastic shots. I must try it before I get too old