Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Aurora Australis 2017
Lens: Sigma 17-50 2.8 Camera: k-50 Photo Location: Queenstown New Zealand ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: following.eric, 03-02-2017, 02:10 PM

Last night Aurora Australis. Not visible to the naked eye but the camera was loving it. Shot raw and edited with LR. Let me know what you think. Noise at 1600 on the k-50 is out of control. But what can you do. All about the colour.
[IMG][/IMG]
Views: 800
03-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We often see Aurora borealis images posted up here and not too often the "southern type".
Thanks for sharing/posting.
Edit: just saw your Flickr photos: superb!
03-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
We often see Aurora borealis images posted up here and not too often the "southern type".
Thanks for sharing/posting.
Edit: just saw your Flickr photos: superb!

thanks. Need to get more up on Flickr. I'll try and get some more up soon. Got too many from NZ.

Here's a time lapse if your interested
03-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to see someone striking a blow on the aurora for us "down under". Nice pic and all about the colour, as you say. The time lapse is great. I vaguely remember it being visible (just) in Brisbane in about 1957. That is a very rare occurrence.

03-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Good to see someone striking a blow on the aurora for us "down under". Nice pic and all about the colour, as you say. The time lapse is great. I vaguely remember it being visible (just) in Brisbane in about 1957. That is a very rare occurrence.
from what I have read it's a tough one to see with the naked eye. Need a really big electrical storm I guess. The first time I saw it with the camera I didn't believe it. I thought it was weird colours from the high iso or warm sensor. Wasn't until PP that i pulled some out and saw what I saw. However last night there was no mistake. After and hour of shooting it just got more and more intense. The time lapse was it's fading moments.