Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Father and son...
Lens: 31mm f1.8 Limited Camera: Pentax K-1 ISO: 100 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Peter Nutkins, 03-03-2017, 03:22 AM

We have just bought my son Noah a second hand camera. He has had an interest for a while and has been out on a few photography 'hikes' with me using his mum's camera. Visiting his Grandmother in Burton, we nipped into the local camera shop run by Chris Goodhead on the off chance of a bargain. This is a great shop run by enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff.

Having got the camera, a Panasonic G1, and given it a quick charge we decided to head out to get a few snaps. I wanted him to have an SLR as it would help him to understand how it all works.

Noah is just learning and photographs everything. He likes to be 'organic' he tells me. It is great to see his excitement and enthusiasm and he is taking some interesting shots.

We ended up alongside the River Trent at Stapenhill. Swans were everywhere and they were more than happy for us to get very close to them.

As my son went off and took shots of swans, trees, bridges, power lines and grass I went for just a couple of simple compositions.

The first was the recently re-opened Ferry Bridge. Over the last few months the bridge has been undergoing a full restoration. It is quite a busy bridge and took me nearly twenty minutes to get a clear image with nobody in it. Of course I had picked the time that the local school was emptying and the place was filled with happy escapees.

The second shot took us an hour and a quarter.

The sky looked at though it would be ripe for a dramatic winter sunset. This would be great reflected in the river. I set up on a small concrete jetty, I presume this was where the ferry had set off from. The water gently lapped at the edge of the jetty. It was covered in swan droppings. Finding a free space for my bag I set up.

Maybe I should have known that the water level was rising. It was only when my son pointed out that my shoes were wet that I thought of my camera bag.

I have decided to get a new one. One that is waterproof and does not smell of poop

The sunset did not live up to expectation. I left smelling faintly of swan. I count the trip a success. My son said he really enjoyed the camera and seeing new things, but most of all spending time with his father.

I hope that you enjoy the best that I could get from our trip.

Have a great day

Peter

Last edited by Peter Nutkins; 03-03-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Views: 770
03-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Your son's statement is worth all the suffering inflicted by the swan poop!

The sunset might be not very impressive, but the setting is nice! Plus, you have green grass!

On a side note, the second image is behaving a bit strange. I couldn't see it on my phone, and on my computer it appears in a small window and I have to scroll up, down, and sideways to see it...
03-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Your son's statement is worth all the suffering inflicted by the swan poop!

The sunset might be not very impressive, but the setting is nice! Plus, you have green grass!

On a side note, the second image is behaving a bit strange. I couldn't see it on my phone, and on my computer it appears in a small window and I have to scroll up, down, and sideways to see it...
I agree!

I have fiddled and the pic looks ok now .... apols
03-12-2017, 04:16 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The richness of the colors in these shots is pretty impressive. Well done!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2017, 05:07 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Nutkins Quote
Having got the camera, a Panasonic G1
I see where your going with this... no fighting over lenses.
03-12-2017, 05:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Peter,
Sounds like a perfect day for photography...time spent with your son made it so! A few years ago I started my kids using my older gear and they have their own bags now and enjoy taking pics..i enjoy taking them with them!

As for the pics you posted... I agree with Adam , very impressive colors. The lighting is great on them.Well done!

How did your sons images work out?

Al
03-13-2017, 01:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The richness of the colors in these shots is pretty impressive. Well done!
Thank you....in reality it looked even better!

---------- Post added 13th Mar 2017 at 01:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I see where your going with this... no fighting over lenses.
Drat! Found out

Maybe because I am now just used to Pentax, but I find the Panasonic really difficult to get to do what I want (DoF etc). Just proves I am an old dog I suppose

---------- Post added 13th Mar 2017 at 01:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Peter,
Sounds like a perfect day for photography...time spent with your son made it so! A few years ago I started my kids using my older gear and they have their own bags now and enjoy taking pics..i enjoy taking them with them!

As for the pics you posted... I agree with Adam , very impressive colors. The lighting is great on them.Well done!

How did your sons images work out?

Al
Hi Al

Noah cam away with some 'interesting' shots. He just wanted to play with the camera (we went from the shop out to shoot) and was not that keen to spend time on composition etc. He loved it! Especially when I got wet!

That night he overheard me and his mum talking about going me taking him to part of the Peak District. The next morning he was dressed and ready at 5:30am.....I was still in bed! Sadly I have been stuck in bed for a couple of weeks, getting frustrated as I can see the sun outside! But it will not be long, I am sure, before we go out again.

Have a great day!

Peter

03-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Nutkins Quote
Drat! Found out
Not at all... it's called "Wisdom".