Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Latest Model Shoot...
Posted By: codiac2600, 08-08-2008, 12:09 PM

I've been busy with the biz, but I had a chance to shoot with a model that flew in from Tennessee and here are some shots from the experience.

Enjoy!

Views: 6,069
08-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wa5am Quote
Hi Chris,

I sure hope she doesn't see this thread. I just think she needs more practice on her expressions, etc, and she will do fine. I also think she would be a candidate for maybe some high key light, soft contrast settings more so than this setting, however your lighting was very good IMHO.

Thanks for sharing your session.

Morg.

This was her second shoot

She learned a lot and eventually let go of some of her poses that she learned from the agency, which I find a little too risque, but there isn't much that can be done in that regard. I prefer sexy in the look the eyes give and there were some great glimpses of that.

Well when her agent contacted me I looked at her previous shots from the other photographer and they were heavily photoshopped and they insisted I use my normal style because they loved the color pop and boldness that they carry. I do what I'm told and only go past it when I have the opportunity to do so.

08-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Hi Codiac

I think the lighting and poses, use of DOF are all very good. I would have to agree with the other's though in saying the facial expessions aren't varied enough, or a little too "canned", and her facial texture is distracting. You obviously do some good work though.

c[_]
08-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #18
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
In this instance it needed to be clarified that it wasn't the make-up that was overdone, but rather something else, so now it makes more sense.
It was exactly that overdone look that put me off in the first place, hence my original post. What clarification is needed?
08-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Chris, my mistake on the make up. I should have made it clear that what I was seeing appeared overly made up.
I was only commenting on what I saw, and the subject matter and therefore, the compositions were not pleasing to my eye. You should have stated if you only wanted people who liked the pictures to comment.

Gary
Gary... I've seen your own model work.... they have a bit of a plastic-like, made-up complexion too!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/31794-first-street-model...-guidance.html

08-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hot and raunchy, Chris. Great series again and she seems like a natural to me
08-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Chris... up to your usual high standards... and, gettin' paid to infuse your style into the work! Great job! I really enjoy the composition in the second shot.

Absolutely nothing wrong with working with a new model. For a second shoot, she did dandy.

Perfect skin is few and far between. Even super models are heavily retouched.

But, all this lunacy that cannot accept a young ladies imperfect complexion.... just low-grade drivel.... pay it no mind. What is this need to attack? Are the model photographers on the forum not providing you with enough stimulating media?

Chris... if the model was flying out to do a paid shoot with you, have the agency budget for you to hire a local hair and makeup artist!!
08-09-2008, 07:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Chris nice work as usual. My only comments was going to be on her expression or lack there of as well. I really think #2 is the best IMO. #1 I was going to say she looked a little uncomfortable in the stance but the full frame uncropped version seems to work a little better for me (wow those are some long legs). The important thing is "was your client happy"? Sounds like they are and thanks for sharing I know I always learn a little something from your work.

08-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I saw this yesterday afternoon and meant to post something then, but I was in a bit of a rush so I figured I'd do later. I'm glad I waited because so much has been posted since then.

I look forward to Chris' model posts because I want to see what he does with lighting, something he is VERY good at. Since I've been wanting to play with some Strobist type lighting, these posts are always something that interest me.

My wife and I have always debated Chris' work. I like a lot of it. She doesn't like a lot of it. There are different styles for everyone, I guess. A lot of it has to do with how YOU see shots through your own camera eye. One thing I've noticed about my own eye is that I prefer more close-up landscape style portraits. Those are the only ones that really work for me. Portrait orientation does not work for me when it comes to portraits (how ironic).

I really like #2 and #6 in this series. Even though the right side is (purposely?) blown in #2, the DOF and composition here are amazing. Everything in that frame leads you right to her face.

I love #6! The lighting is really good! Is that a red gel to her right or neon lighting? Either way, the lighting, the composition, the pose, the hat, the jewelry, the expression......they ALL work! The red to white lighting and the tilted frame combine to lead the eyes right to her face, then to her left hand, back to her face, and up to the hat. This could easily be an ad for an apparel company, particulary a hat company.....everyone who saw that pic had to look at the symbol on the hat. Easily the best shot in this series IMO.....and one of the best you've ever posted.

On the other hand, #1, #4, and #5 don't really work for me, but the lighting in #4 is really good. The missing eye in #1 and the full body shot are kinda creepy, but that's just me not liking it. They're all well executed shots.

Granted, the first thing you notice is her face. The imperfections are obvious, but some PP work would take care of that quick-fast! She is a young girl and that has a lot to do with her expression. Times are different and as much as folks like to see cutesy, smily photos....that's not what's "in" with that generation. It all about girls being a little rough, a little rough, and very edgy. Look at any advertising geared toward that generation and you're not going to see a lot of cutesy smily photos. For what these agencies want, this girl is perfect. She has that serious, take no prisoners look about her, which is cool. Like it or not, that's the trend. There's still plenty of room for the more traditional posing/expressions, but I think Chris is trying to create stuff that is more on the edge, so the "rules" are not really going to apply as they would in more traditional styles.

I agree with what Hamid said about the makeup artist.....not to clean up her skin, but to give her an even edgier look. I would recommend doing a lot more to accentuate her eyes, even to the point of exaggeration. Kind of like the shots you did with your GF. Her eye makeup in those pics was fantastic. If you ever get a chance to work with this one again, I'd recommend doing something similar.
08-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #24
Damn Brit

Chris, after reading Alans post, I think we can get back on the same page again.
With hindsight, it would have been better if you had been upfront with what you were working with and your brief.
We are visual creatures and for me, if I look at shots of models, the one thing that has to work is how appealing the model is to my eyes. In your shots, she didn't look appealing to me. My criticism was based on that and the fact that you hadn't made her look her best.
Now things are more clear, you were shooting for PP in which case, you did your job perfectly and they are good shots.
If I had had that information up front, I would have been able to view the shots differently.

One question please, how does that work with copyright? You take the images and then they are changed by PPers. When you're hired for this kind of shoot does the client own the copyright?

Thanks for your rationale Alan.
Gary
08-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #25

I too enjoy and look forward to seeing what Chris does with his strobist style lighting...

He is really excellent at it ( at least in my unexperienced opinion )

I am normally looking at his stie to see what he is doing and my all time favorite photo of his is also the one that made it into the PPG... "Little Red Dress" of the model Tamara....

I went onto his site and checked out the full set from this girl ( Heather )...

It is true she does have the same facial expression in almost every ( and I mean EVERY single photo ), not necessarily appealing to me as a guy who would be attracted to what I see in an ad maybe... but all of the shots were really well executed in my opinion. Lots of contrast...

Chris it would be interesting to see what you would do with some giant softboxes and studio style strobes in the outdoors...

I've had the opportunity to talk to a few models now that I might be shooting soon and one of the things I am finding is some girls just don't have it, they may look amazing in person but no how hard you try with lighting / post they are just dead when you view them in a print...

I don't think this girl is one of those girls... I like how she is posed and I bet the pp work will make her look great, it would interesting to see her maybe perhaps smiling.... she might be more appealing that way....

my humble 2 cents
08-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #26

Hey Chris,

Great work here again and I'm sure the agency will be very pleased! What lenses were you using for this shoot ? I've recently picked up the K20 back in July and love how much detail this thing picks up especially using the 50-135.

Can't wait to see your next shoot!

Tim
08-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Chris, after reading Alans post, I think we can get back on the same page again.
With hindsight, it would have been better if you had been upfront with what you were working with and your brief.
We are visual creatures and for me, if I look at shots of models, the one thing that has to work is how appealing the model is to my eyes. In your shots, she didn't look appealing to me. My criticism was based on that and the fact that you hadn't made her look her best.
Now things are more clear, you were shooting for PP in which case, you did your job perfectly and they are good shots.
If I had had that information up front, I would have been able to view the shots differently.

One question please, how does that work with copyright? You take the images and then they are changed by PPers. When you're hired for this kind of shoot does the client own the copyright?

Thanks for your rationale Alan.
Gary
My first thought was, "She's pretty, but what's up with that makeup???" Then I took another look at the images and saw some stuff I really liked, particularly the 2 images I singled out. I didn't have the time to comment at the time. When I read some more comments, I figured some folks might jump on the skin issues, but miss that fact that these are really good efforts.

As for the copyright, I would think Chris gets credit but the images and rights are sold to the client. I'm sure he'd be able to keep them for his portfolio, but not be able to resell those images or use them commercially himself.
08-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Nice shots.
I guess they let anyone become a model these days...
10-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #29
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like I care about her expressions... My pants are getting tight! ...did I say that out loud? .... I kid...
10-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #30
Damn Brit

I want to clarify how I look at pictures. My emotional side looks at the picture and if that doesn't feel anything then the other side, the analytical side doesn't get to look.
I don't usually comment when I see shots like that.
I only made my comments out of respect for Chris as I am admirer of his work.

Model photography and modelling are both cut throat businesses in the competitive sense. I was just speaking as the guy who picks up that magazine.

I hope this has completely cleared the air between Chris and I.