Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Birds this week
Lens: Tamron SP Af 300 LD {IF] Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 640 
Posted By: normhead, 03-04-2017, 03:00 PM

It's been cold and the birds have been flocking to the feeders. Cold means they have to spend more of their day eating, as opposed to whatever they do when they aren't eating, which I expect is sitting in the trees singing from the sound emanating from the woods around my house.

Downey wood pecker

Blue Jay

White Breasted Nuthatch

Red Breasted Nuthatch

Goldfiinch male

Female Goldfinch

Pine Siskin

Female Purple Finch

Black Capped Chickadee

Seen but not photographed.

Male and Female Evening Grosbeaks (this morning 3 males 3 females, Hairy Woodpecker (male and female), one Redpoll (this afternoon).

There were at least two hundred birds out there this afternoon. The redpoll landed right in front of me, then took off, I had him framed but couldn't pull the trigger quick enough. Then trying to find him amongst 200 other birds proved impossible.

Last edited by normhead; 03-04-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Views: 705
03-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No.'s 3 and 4 are really beautiful !
It's been awful cold here too ... no birds to be seen though.
03-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
No.'s 3 and 4 are really beautiful !
It's been awful cold here too ... no birds to be seen though.
IN this weather I feed them twice a day, 3-4 cool aid pitchers of black oil sunflower seeds then another picture to top up the smaller feeders in the afternoon. If you feed them, they will come. I spent $90 on food yesterda/ 100 pounds of black oils sun flower seeds and 5 pounds of feed grade peanuts. I will be feeding these guys until it's warm enough for them to head north. Possibly a month.
03-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
IN this weather I feed them twice a day, 3-4 cool aid pitchers of black oil sunflower seeds then another picture to top up the smaller feeders in the afternoon. If you feed them, they will come. I spent $90 on food yesterda/ 100 pounds of black oils sun flower seeds and 5 pounds of feed grade peanuts. I will be feeding these guys until it's warm enough for them to head north. Possibly a month.
Should we be refering to you now as Saint normhead? Good to see you care for your local wildlife.

03-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful birds!
03-04-2017, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Should we be refering to you now as Saint normhead? Good to see you care for your local wildlife.
Please don't do that.

QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
Beautiful birds!
Thanks tina.