Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  
F22 Raptor at Avalon Air Show 2017
Posted By: RobG, 03-05-2017, 04:52 AM

Photos from the 2017 Australian International Airshow at Avalon in Victoria.

F22 Raptor
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

RAAF F-35A Lightning II

I'll post more in the Aviation group.
Views: 3,213
03-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Interesting comment; The old F-4 Phantoms, originally built for the US Navy, and then adopted by many others RAF, FAA, RAAF, Germans, other NATO forces, Israel, Japan; one of the most successful combat aircraft of its era. Many roles, Air-to-air combat, ground attack, recon, EW. Seemed to be ideal for lots of folks. After they got away from the F-111, the US Navy went on to develop and fly the F-14 Tomcat, (made by Grumman, their favorite contractor), arguably the same concept as the F-111 (General Dynamics, not a Navy favorite for aircraft). A swing wing missile platform, with a fancy radar targeting system. The F-14 was their front line fighter up to early 2000s.
So the Navy should be specifying aircraft for the other forces? The F4 was used as a stop-gap by the RAAF because of delivery delays in the F111. I know it was also flown by the Germans, but it didn't stop Europe from developing similar aircraft like the Tornado.

QuoteQuote:
I alway found it interesting that the USAF and the RAAF continued to call it the F-111 (F=Fighter) and it was deployed as more of a strategic bomber, not even used for close air support as many other fighters are.
True - I think I read that they left it that way because they wanted to attract good pilots who were more excited by an F designation than a B. The terrain following radar made the F111 a heck of a lot more exciting than any other contemporary bomber!

QuoteQuote:
Sorry to digress, nice shots, Did you shoot them at ƒ/22?
Good point - I should have tried that!

03-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
So the Navy should be specifying aircraft for the other forces? The F4 was used as a stop-gap by the RAAF because of delivery delays in the F111. I know it was also flown by the Germans, but it didn't stop Europe from developing similar aircraft like the Tornado.

True - I think I read that they left it that way because they wanted to attract good pilots who were more excited by an F designation than a B. The terrain following radar made the F111 a heck of a lot more exciting than any other contemporary bomber!

Good point - I should have tried that!
Just that the Phantom that was not originally intended for so many roles, became a success in many; where as some purpose-built multirole aircraft have not had as much success.
US Defense Secretary McNamara was the driver behind the F-111 debacle, and making the navy and air force develop a common platform, he had one already with the Phantom.
I think the Phantoms (an older design) out lived the Pig in the USAF, they were still flying Wild Weasel variants when they sent the last of the F-111s to the bone yard.
03-09-2017, 04:27 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just that the Phantom that was not originally intended for so many roles, became a success in many; where as some purpose-built multirole aircraft have not had as much success. US Defense Secretary McNamara was the driver behind the F-111 debacle, and making the navy and air force develop a common platform, he had one already with the Phantom. I think the Phantoms (an older design) out lived the Pig in the USAF, they were still flying Wild Weasel variants when they sent the last of the F-111s to the bone yard.
I think the F4 was only retired recently after use as flying targets. I got to see one of the last flights of the F111 in 2010.

RAAF F111 dump and burn

A couple of those boneyard F111 airframes were shipped to Australia and tested to destruction.
03-09-2017, 11:04 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The F-111 was an impressive plane,
I worked as a photographer at Edwards AFB for NASA Dryden (now Armstrong) for a while in the late 80s,
Was out on the runway one day waiting our NASA birds to fly, and the Air Force was testing a B-1, Had two F-111s flying chase on it. They came down the runway, all three at about 500-ft, Was a memorable sound. We had strict rules for not pointing our cameras at anything in AF colors, only our NASA targets, So not photos of that, only memories.

03-10-2017, 12:14 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
The F-111 was an impressive plane,
I worked as a photographer at Edwards AFB for NASA Dryden (now Armstrong) for a while in the late 80s,
Was out on the runway one day waiting our NASA birds to fly, and the Air Force was testing a B-1, Had two F-111s flying chase on it. They came down the runway, all three at about 500-ft, Was a memorable sound. We had strict rules for not pointing our cameras at anything in AF colors, only our NASA targets, So not photos of that, only memories.
Bummer! That would have been a cool photo! Funny you mention Edwards; I was trying to figure out what base I saw from a flight approaching San Francisco back in 2002. It had a dry lake runway, but the base didn't look like Edwards. I was reminded of it recently while looking at the video. Shortly afterward, the flight passed over Yosemite; Half Dome and El Capitan were easily recognisable.
03-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bummer! That would have been a cool photo! Funny you mention Edwards; I was trying to figure out what base I saw from a flight approaching San Francisco back in 2002. It had a dry lake runway, but the base didn't look like Edwards. I was reminded of it recently while looking at the video. Shortly afterward, the flight passed over Yosemite; Half Dome and El Capitan were easily recognisable.
Sound like one of the smaller dry lake beds in the Owens valley on the east side of the Sierras,
Where were you coming from on your way to San Francisco?

I don't think the military is maintaining those lake beds as much any more, but at one time they had several up the east side of mountains, toward Death Valley, and Owen's Lake. Were part of the emergency landing network for the X-15 program, and other High Altitude, High speed flights.

Edwards is further south, just north of the mountains above Los Angeles.
03-11-2017, 05:27 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sound like one of the smaller dry lake beds in the Owens valley on the east side of the Sierras, Where were you coming from on your way to San Francisco?
I was flying from Dallas Fort Worth to San Fran. After flying over that airbase/airport, we reached Mono Lake about 12 minutes later. Happily the digital video has time stamps.

QuoteQuote:
I don't think the military is maintaining those lake beds as much any more, but at one time they had several up the east side of mountains, toward Death Valley, and Owen's Lake. Were part of the emergency landing network for the X-15 program, and other High Altitude, High speed flights.
The airfield I saw had a full paved runway and a lot of infrastructure.

QuoteQuote:
Edwards is further south, just north of the mountains above Los Angeles.
I've looked at it on Google Earth quite a few times - there's some interesting aircraft on the ground, like a Canberra, an F111 and others.

---------- Post added 11-03-17 at 11:55 PM ----------

Trying to embed a video?

Last edited by RobG; 03-11-2017 at 05:56 AM.
03-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was flying from Dallas Fort Worth to San Fran. After flying over that airbase/airport, we reached Mono Lake about 12 minutes later. Happily the digital video has time stamps.

The airfield I saw had a full paved runway and a lot of infrastructure.

I've looked at it on Google Earth quite a few times - there's some interesting aircraft on the ground, like a Canberra, an F111 and others.

---------- Post added 11-03-17 at 11:55 PM ----------

Trying to embed a video?

Tonopah Test Range, In west-central Nevada,
37°48'16.80" N 116°44'28.35" W

Found this site too,
Some interesting old relics
Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields
03-12-2017, 03:05 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tonopah Test Range, In west-central Nevada,
37°48'16.80" N 116°44'28.35" W

Found this site too,
Some interesting old relics
Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields
Thanks! It's nice to identify it. Thanks for the link also!