Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First time using a manual lens
Lens: Sigma 1000mm F13.5 Camera: K-3 Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: KiloHotelphoto, 03-05-2017, 01:27 PM

I picked up a Sigma 1000mm F13.5 mirror lens last week from the market place. I've never used a manual or a mirror lens before but I talked to a guy a few months ago who was using one and he said they can be fun but have a lot of downsides also.

It did take me a little bit to figure out how to set it up, good thing for the forum or I still would be lost. I went out to a local wildlife refuge hoping to try it out on some ducks or geese that are always around and don't move real fast. I set up my tripod on a little observation deck along the water and was practicing on a cardinal that was along the bank, I wasn't making out too good.

After about ten minutes I had a hawk fly into a tree 30 feet from me, maybe 20 feet. I've never been able to get close to hawks, they seem to be so skittish. It had its back to me but kept turning to look at me. I was cursing myself for not bringing the DA*300 I bought a couple weeks ago just for this place, it's the perfect walk around lens.

So I adjust my tripod as slow as I could to try to get some shots and hope I can figure out this new lens good enough to get some keepers. Then after a couple minutes I got greedy and tried to move my tripod to get some shots from the front and that's when it took off, and I wish I would have had the 50 1.8 with me because it flew right down at me about 10 feet over my head.

But here are the 4 pics I think turned out best. I did have to do a lot of post processing in Lightroom. I think this lens will be good for a few things once I really learn how to use it. I'm thinking when I visit my parents house setting up on their deck and getting shots of the bird feeder.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 856
03-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You did well with it for the first try! You were shooting into the sun based on the shadows and highlights on the hawk. Did you have the lens hood extended? I would expect to see a bit better contrast and the lack of it seems like it might be from some lens flare (which if the light is right, there can be lot of with a mirror lens).

Overall impressive though, but I imagine you can't even BREATH when hitting the shutter!

Regards,
03-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A well done first attempt.
03-07-2017, 04:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes I was shooting towards the sun and I don't think I had the hood extended. I was using a wired shutter release but should try the little IR one next time if I can find it, things so small I lose it all the time, they should have made it fluresent green or orange to make it easier to spot.

The lens is small enough that you could hand hold to shoot but the few shots I tried were really blury, definetly need a stable tripod with it.

03-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
but should try the little IR one next time if I can find it, things so small I lose it all the time
Yes, the little buggers are easy to lose. I popped mine open, added a lanyard (after making some grooves fort he lanyard string) and closed it back up. Now, it hangs around my neck when I shoot, or its in the camera bag!