Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wheel Bug-One of the Assassin Bugs
Posted By: acbees, 08-08-2008, 01:25 PM

Was taking some shots of our bees with the LA Dine and K20D mounted on the tripod. Got up to grab another bee when I saw this hanging out in the shade on the back of a hive. After a few flashes and changing of angle to get other shots, it finally let me know it didn't appreciate me being there by raising it front legs up in some type of defensive posture. Had my first experience with these things and our bees last year when I'd put out some cappings (beeswax and honey left over from extracting) in a tub to let the bees clean them. A couple of wheel bugs thought it was a bee banquet--for them! Got their name from that distinctive looking part like a cogged wheel on their back. Their bite paralyzes, then they suck the life from their victims. I've been told their bite is extremely painful to humans. Have a video (4 mins.) of them with the bees last year at this link if you'd like to see them in action. Still photos don't do them justice, there's nothing like seeing them in motion.
And by the way, no, I didn't kill them then nor did I kill this one. They're fascinating insects! They gotta eat, too.
Arvin

First one cropped, second one slightly cropped, the rest just PP'd. Hand held with off camera flash.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Views: 2,998
08-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #2

interesting bug, never seen them before. Nice shots.
08-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Different that's for sure.
Interesting video as well.
08-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent series and the video is like watching the nature channel, I enjoyed it. It's funny the bees don't really seem to mind these creatures around. You would think after 4 or 5 or their buddies were killed they would catch on this is not a friendly visit

08-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yikes! You are right. You must see the video to truly appreciate the bugs! They are huge! Sort of feel sorry for the bees, however...

Steve
08-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. Still working on getting crisp results with the Dine and trying to obtain some kind of consistency with a flash.
It is amazing how much the bees will tolerate when it comes to predators. All kinds of ants, wood roaches, and spiders live on top of the inner cover of the hive. Losing a few of their comrades outside the main hive doesn't seem to bother them as much as it does losing some inside. They get a little upset if I happen to smash one putting a frame back in. One of the other videos that has a link on that same page is of a praying mantis hanging from the front entrance calmly chowing down on a bee it caught just inches below hundreds of other bees flying in and out of the front of the hive.
It is hard to watch critters get a few of our bees like that, but it's kind of a "circle of life" thing, I guess?!?
Arvin
08-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Wonderful shots, I've never heard of these before. Definitely a strange and fascinating bug.