Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Royal Gorge Bridge
Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Canon City, CO 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 03-06-2017, 08:50 PM

Shown is the Royal Gorge Bridge which is about 1/4 mile long and is close to 1,000 foot above the Arkansas River. It is one of the highest suspension bridges in the US, and was carved by the Arkansas River over millions of years. The canyon itself is 1,250' at it's deepest and about 50' wide, what makes it a bit different than Grand Canyon is this canyon is formed through solid granite, not softer materials such as sandstone and shale. The Arkansas River is the 5th longest river in the US and runs through our town, yep a river runs through it.

Attached Images

Views: 1,938
03-06-2017, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful photo! With my fear of heights, I don't think I'd like crossing that bridge!
03-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Beautiful photo! With my fear of heights, I don't think I'd like crossing that bridge!
all you have to do is have someone blindfold you and walk you half way on the bridge and remove it, my wife wouldn't do it either even with the blindfold btw.
03-06-2017, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
nicely done Bob. I live in CO as well. I have been about that close to the bridge, as in your photo, several times.. the thought of getting any closer, let alone crossing it makes me nauseous. My wife wants to go, I'll take the train through the canyon and wave up to her instead.
DW

03-06-2017, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dwalker19 Quote
nicely done Bob. I live in CO as well. I have been about that close to the bridge, as in your photo, several times.. the thought of getting any closer, let alone crossing it makes me nauseous. My wife wants to go, I'll take the train through the canyon and wave up to her instead.
DW
We rode the train as well, nice to see the people going through the rapids also. All of this is very touristy and getting quite expensive to take the family out for the day. It might be better just to stay on the side and hold her purse while she goes across I think.
03-06-2017, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Closed Account

Excellent photograph of an amazing structure Bob. Very well taken.
03-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Excellent photograph of an amazing structure Bob. Very well taken.
thank you Peter, seems I read where you can drive across the bridge early in the morning if I remember correctly but I think I would pass on that one.

03-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice image Bob, thanks also for the write up. I take it that this is a pedestrian bridge only?
03-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice image Bob, thanks also for the write up. I take it that this is a pedestrian bridge only?
Heinrich, yes primarily but it seems like they do allow vehicles to pass in early mornings if I remember correctly.
03-06-2017, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
all you have to do is have someone blindfold you and walk you half way on the bridge and remove it, my wife wouldn't do it either even with the blindfold btw.
No way, no how!
03-07-2017, 12:09 AM   #11
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
thank you Peter, seems I read where you can drive across the bridge early in the morning if I remember correctly but I think I would pass on that one.
Watching how it was being built would have fascinating Bob. It must have been a blessing for the town on completion.
03-07-2017, 12:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Watching how it was being built would have fascinating Bob. It must have been a blessing for the town on completion.
a blessing for sure Peter, it was built in the late '20's as basically a tourist attraction and to this day thousands visit each year and our small town of Canon still benefits from tourism.
03-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #13
Closed Account

Now that we have seen the bridge over the river that flows through your town, may we now see some photographs of your town with the river going through it?
03-07-2017, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now that we have seen the bridge over the river that flows through your town, may we now see some photographs of your town with the river going through it?
Here's a photo of the river as it enters the town, it basically divides the town in half. It is just starting to freeze over here as you can see.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-07-2017, 12:55 AM   #15
Closed Account

That is a wonderful advertisement for your little town Bob. It looks idyllic there. I bet the fishin' is good too.