Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Valle de Aridane 8x3 hand-held pano
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm Camera: K-5 IIs Photo Location: Mirador del Time, La Palma ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: newmikey, 03-07-2017, 12:59 AM

Warning: large file on Flickr available for viewing/downloading but I did for once deface this one with a larg-ish watermark as I uploaded the full 13564x4989 pixels down to the very last one of them! I normally hate obvious watermarking but then I never upload full size to Flickr either.

This was shot hand-held at the viewpoint called "Mirador del Time" on La Palma which overlooks the valley of Aridane with the town of Los Llanos and the caldera of the volcano in the background. I tried to take bracketed series of three while rotating my upper body and leaving my feet firmly planted. I took two meter readings after which I set the camera to M and switched off AF. The 24 resulting files were processed with Hugin which not only lines up and projects each 8 file set but also merges the exposures of the 3 resulting pano's. Hugin also spit out an EXR file for tonemapping but I liked the merged result better than the tonemapped one. I finished off with some levels & curves and a bit of sharpening.

Hugin made a bit of a mess of the foliage on the left, no doubt due to me hand-holding the whole series, so can't really blame it. Hope you can still see despite the ugly watermark

Views: 569
07-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Warning: large file on Flickr available for viewing/downloading but I did for once deface this one with a larg-ish watermark as I uploaded the full 13564x4989 pixels down to the very last one of them! I normally hate obvious watermarking but then I never upload full size to Flickr either.

This was shot hand-held at the viewpoint called "Mirador del Time" on La Palma which overlooks the valley of Aridane with the town of Los Llanos and the caldera of the volcano in the background. I tried to take bracketed series of three while rotating my upper body and leaving my feet firmly planted. I took two meter readings after which I set the camera to M and switched off AF. The 24 resulting files were processed with Hugin which not only lines up and projects each 8 file set but also merges the exposures of the 3 resulting pano's. Hugin also spit out an EXR file for tonemapping but I liked the merged result better than the tonemapped one. I finished off with some levels & curves and a bit of sharpening.

Hugin made a bit of a mess of the foliage on the left, no doubt due to me hand-holding the whole series, so can't really blame it. Hope you can still see despite the ugly watermark

beautiful vista! wish I was there!