Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Serenity
Posted By: cupic, 08-09-2008, 02:28 AM

A place to loose one self

Last edited by cupic; 08-09-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Views: 2,840
08-09-2008, 05:08 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Very nice shot, quite serene. Love the B&W treatment as well.
08-09-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is a pleasant shot. Great expanse.
I think the horizon is a little off.
08-09-2008, 05:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

This is very nice.

The conversion is good. I usually will lay into a B&W conversion with hard contrast, but I think the use of a softer treatment is correct. There are three (3) things I would do to this in PP.

1. Straighten the horizon. Looks like .6 to the left would be right on;
2. I'd probably take a crop so that the center of the boardwalk was 1/3 of the frame from the right foreground corner; and
3. The sky could really benefit from a good measure of definition. The very simple way of doing this is to select sky only, darken it in this case just a tad, and lay in some pretty significant contrast. I personally have a different recipe for doing this, but like any cook...

The results are pretty nice. Happy to do a quick example if you like. Frankly, I already did just to make sure it could be done and how it would look. I usually don't recommends doing anything until I see it for myself. Hope you don't mind.

You did the work, but getting a little more definition on those clouds, you'll see that the clouds at the horizon virtually "pop" out and there is a really great sense of motion in the foreground clouds as well...

This is nice work. It is also great raw material with which to play with PP and hone your skills. Keep 'em coming and thanks for sharing. I like it very much.

woof!

08-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all for your comment and help,it is greatly appreciated

cheers
08-09-2008, 05:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
Very nice shot, quite serene. Love the B&W treatment as well.
QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
It is a pleasant shot. Great expanse.
I think the horizon is a little off.
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
This is very nice.

The conversion is good. I usually will lay into a B&W conversion with hard contrast, but I think the use of a softer treatment is correct. There are three (3) things I would do to this in PP.

1. Straighten the horizon. Looks like .6 to the left would be right on;
2. I'd probably take a crop so that the center of the boardwalk was 1/3 of the frame from the right foreground corner; and
3. The sky could really benefit from a good measure of definition. The very simple way of doing this is to select sky only, darken it in this case just a tad, and lay in some pretty significant contrast. I personally have a different recipe for doing this, but like any cook...

The results are pretty nice. Happy to do a quick example if you like. Frankly, I already did just to make sure it could be done and how it would look. I usually don't recommends doing anything until I see it for myself. Hope you don't mind.

You did the work, but getting a little more definition on those clouds, you'll see that the clouds at the horizon virtually "pop" out and there is a really great sense of motion in the foreground clouds as well...

This is nice work. It is also great raw material with which to play with PP and hone your skills. Keep 'em coming and thanks for sharing. I like it very much.

woof!

That would be great as all ideas cook a better recipe

cheers
08-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
That would be great as all ideas cook a better recipe
Here are the changes outlined. I did this in exactly the manner outlined without cooking up anything elaborate just to demonstrate some simple PP that potentially goes a long way.

Of course, this is to my taste and I recognize that... I think you have final say of course and should have a little fun working with it... Persoanlly, If I'd shot this, I'd wouldn't have a second thought about hanging it on the wall. So, again... Nice work...

Kind regards,

woof!
Attached Images

08-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it, the edited sky looks bit better, but I'm not too sure about that1/3 crop, rools are here to be broken, and this example is quite OK.
BUT: I would crop it, but it would be the sky that I would tak off. At least half of it even bit more, to leave just small "gap" of sky at the top of the picture, I think it would ad greater sense of dimension to the shot,
also I'd like to see colour version...
BR

08-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Prefer the orginal shot. Guess everyone's eye is different. Definately a wall hanger and like Axl said, would love to see the color shot. Cheers JIMBO
08-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Prefer the orginal shot. Guess everyone's eye is different. Definately a wall hanger and like Axl said, would love to see the color shot. Cheers JIMBO
Yep... in fact...

QuoteQuote:
but I'm not too sure about that1/3 crop, rools are here to be broken, and this example is quite OK.
A certain amount of expansiveness is lost in my edit... I'm kind of back to liking the original crop with some enhancements to the sky. That's why I said this is a good one to play with.

QuoteQuote:
I would crop it, but it would be the sky that I would tak off. At least half of it even bit more, to leave just small "gap" of sky at the top of the picture, I think it would ad greater sense of dimension to the shot,
** Definitely ** worth a try...

woof!
08-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
Ash
Community Manager

Good one cupic,
I also like a more dramatic sky, and I think colour would bring that out a little more with added contrast and saturation.

The B&W conversion creates a soothing mood too, though.
Nice work.
08-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Nice shot Cupic, I wanna be there. Now if only you could have put a couple of cold ones, with condensation running down them, in the foreground, aaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Gary
08-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all for your valued comment and especially yours Gary,If I did have cold ones out there would disappear fast LOL

As for the coloured version there wasnt too much there in there and desaturation was easy to do

Thanks again everyone

cheers
08-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Gary,

If I could frame the tip of the bridge to touch the horizon, I will change the theme of this photo form 'Serenity to "from Here to Eternity" ' As it is, great shot and indeed serene as aptly described.

Marcus
08-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
Gary,

If I could frame the tip of the bridge to touch the horizon, I will change the theme of this photo form 'Serenity to "from Here to Eternity" ' As it is, great shot and indeed serene as aptly described.

Marcus

I had that exact thought as I was processing this image so that the bridge did in
fact join to the horizon Marcus

cheers