Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Starry Night and Re Tree photo stack.
Lens: Pentax 16-50 DA* Camera: K-3 Photo Location: California ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: JohnnyMoe, 03-09-2017, 12:24 PM

This is my first post. Stacked in Star Trails, each exposure was 25 seconds long. I made a pretty neat little 10 second video out of the 180 or so pictures this is comprised of. I would have loved to have gotten more, but it was COLD and the battery died after only a little over an hour while I slept. I'm considering making a battery box. Next time I'll have to get some audio of the coyotes.

Attached Images

Views: 981
03-09-2017, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Johnny. Neat shot! Lots of work went into that!
03-10-2017, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice job. Color and composition working very well in my opinion.
03-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautifully done! I may have gone for a more neutral color for the tree but I must say the result is outstanding.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyMoe Quote
Next time I'll have to get some audio of the coyotes.
LOL! Astrophoto does bring more than its share of strange or unnerving encounters!

03-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SunValley Quote
Beautifully done! I may have gone for a more neutral color for the tree but I must say the result is outstanding.

LOL! Astrophoto does bring more than its share of strange or unnerving encounters!
I completely agree with SunVally. The red color of the tree is not the best choice.
03-11-2017, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the color of the tree. Very dramatic. Other worldly. Fits the background nicely.
04-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
I really appreciate the feedback. All I thought to use was my red stargazing flashlight. I've never tried light painting before this attempt other than a few kitchen experiments. Next time I'll do this red light because I like this end result. However I'll absolutely try OTHER colors as well. I had my regular flashlight for example, and could have used that.

I made a video of this in the link below. I think the picture is spooky, so I made a spooky panned video of it with my voice quadrupled and pitch-shifted to sound something Holst's "Neptune," or something...lol

04-10-2017, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like it. The red tree suits the spooky, eerie feel of the video.
07-17-2021, 08:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyMoe Quote
This is my first post. Stacked in Star Trails, each exposure was 25 seconds long. I made a pretty neat little 10 second video out of the 180 or so pictures this is comprised of. I would have loved to have gotten more, but it was COLD and the battery died after only a little over an hour while I slept. I'm considering making a battery box. Next time I'll have to get some audio of the coyotes.
nice job